Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 8,105 times

Advertisements

Hi,

First off, I want to thank all the members of this forum for taking the time to educate so many of us who are considering a relo to Texas! Hats off to you!!!!

We are in the same boat and are considering a move to Texas in July 07. We are coming there this Thursday to get a feel and maybe take a look at some rental homes. I have read almost every thread on this forum and I will try not to repeat too many of the questions already asked.

1) We have a 4.5 year old and are looking at a good school district to rent in; so that when we buy a house we wont have to change schools.

2) We are considering the Round Rock area. I am not sure what school district Avery Ranch falls in and the only elementary I found was too new and so dint have a rating. Please HELP!!!

3) I read in this forum that Eanes, RR and Leander are good school districts. We can’t afford a house in Eanes, so forget that. In RR, I found a lot of good schools with an Exemplary rating. But in Leander there were maybe only about 2 schools that were rated above an 8. Is the system different in Texas? Is the school still good if it is rated a "Recognized"?

4) I would work from home and my husband can pick any area to start his new office. If I HAD to go to the office, I would go to the Oracle building in Stonebridge Plaza, North Mopac. Given this, is Steiner Ranch or River Place a good idea? (I like Steiner because of the nice homes and good school) Or are there any good areas close to Oracle that have good schools too.

To clarify, by good schools I am looking at those that are rated 9 or above in www.greatschools.net

5) We will most probably be there July 1st. Are there any good summer camps for a 4.5 year old. Is it too late to enroll? Also I read another thread that said that the pre-schools might be full already, is this true for elementary also?

Thanks in advance for all your replies. If you can reply by tomorrow it will be a tremendous help in planning what areas to visit when we come on Thursday!!!

Thanks,
cvic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:32 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,210 times
It is true Leander has only 3 Exemplary schools, and yes, they are all in Steiner Ranch. I would like to take a little credit for that, or at least my wife should, because my two girls have about 30-45 minutes of homework each day. About half from the school, and the other half from my "other half."

I drive to Parmer and IH 35 So. everyday, and when school is in session, if I leave by 6:50, I can get to work by 7:20 consistently. I suspect you could do it about 18-20 minutes during the same time. When school is not in session, you can stretch leaving to about 7:30 before traffic gets more congested.

In Texas, Elementary schools have to make space for you.

Also, it doesn't show up in the normal search, but my girls go to Laura Welch Bush Elem., which is rated as a 10. Steiner Ranch Elem., gets a 9, and Canyon Ridge gets a 10.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:16 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvic View Post
Hi,

First off, I want to thank all the members of this forum for taking the time to educate so many of us who are considering a relo to Texas! Hats off to you!!!!

We are in the same boat and are considering a move to Texas in July 07. We are coming there this Thursday to get a feel and maybe take a look at some rental homes. I have read almost every thread on this forum and I will try not to repeat too many of the questions already asked.

1) We have a 4.5 year old and are looking at a good school district to rent in; so that when we buy a house we wont have to change schools.

2) We are considering the Round Rock area. I am not sure what school district Avery Ranch falls in and the only elementary I found was too new and so dint have a rating. Please HELP!!!

3) I read in this forum that Eanes, RR and Leander are good school districts. We can’t afford a house in Eanes, so forget that. In RR, I found a lot of good schools with an Exemplary rating. But in Leander there were maybe only about 2 schools that were rated above an 8. Is the system different in Texas? Is the school still good if it is rated a "Recognized"?

4) I would work from home and my husband can pick any area to start his new office. If I HAD to go to the office, I would go to the Oracle building in Stonebridge Plaza, North Mopac. Given this, is Steiner Ranch or River Place a good idea? (I like Steiner because of the nice homes and good school) Or are there any good areas close to Oracle that have good schools too.

To clarify, by good schools I am looking at those that are rated 9 or above in www.greatschools.net

5) We will most probably be there July 1st. Are there any good summer camps for a 4.5 year old. Is it too late to enroll? Also I read another thread that said that the pre-schools might be full already, is this true for elementary also?

Thanks in advance for all your replies. If you can reply by tomorrow it will be a tremendous help in planning what areas to visit when we come on Thursday!!!

Thanks,
cvic
I dont know how accurate this is, but it seems informative
http://www.psk12.com/rating/USthreeR...untyID_13.html

Old 05-15-2007, 09:25 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
As a followup to Cali's post....

if you do have to commute, River Place is 10 minutes closer in than Steiner. Our brand new elementary school, also in LISD, will be opening this fall, so if your child turns 5 before 9/1 he/she would be in the first attending class.The homes are generally older in RP than in Steiner, but it is, IMO, an equally outstanding community.

River Place does a ton of summer camps thru-out the summer and there's a chance you could still enroll the child in mid-summer as they pay weekly. You don't need to be a resident to participate in the camps, either.

However, I wouldn't rule out other areas of Leander ISD just b/c the school isn't exemplary. As mentioned on here many times, one year a school can be exemplary and another it can be recognized depending on the scores and such. I know folks who live in Cedar Park who are absolutely delighted with their various elementary schools. One of my friends here in RP is a substitute special ed teacher and she said she feels Cypress Creek elementary is one of the best in the entire district.

f you have any questions about River Place specifically, feel free to PM me. Good luck with your trip.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi927 View Post
As a followup to Cali's post....

if you do have to commute, River Place is 10 minutes closer in than Steiner...
I must drive really fast then, it doesn't seem like it's 10 minutes to RP and 2222, but I bet it is. What about time to get out of RP, how do you factor that?

Old 05-15-2007, 09:38 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Gigi,

How do you feel about the restrictions in River Place? I managed a rental property there many years ago and the HOA gave our tenants fits. Couldn't park the car in the driveway overnight (has to be in the garage). If you got home late and didn't have the trashcan pulled in on time, a letter would be sent from the HOA. No parking on the street. Lawn police, etc.

Have they lightened up or do you all just acclimate to the rules and not find them burdensome?

Steve

Old 05-16-2007, 06:13 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
Cali-

from the front of RP to the front of Steiner is probably 8 minutes in no traffic. I live near Sun Tree park and so I add on 2 minutes. While those who live in the back of RP have a couple more minutes to get out of RP, I'm still not factoring time in and out of Steiner, which is much bigger than RP so the 10 minutes minimum is pretty fair and actually a bit conservative. We'll see how that changes once we get school traffic as well. From our house to Laura Bush is always right at about 15 minutes.

Steve, everyone jokes about the HOA here and how hard core they are. A lot of people get fined. We've left our garbage and cars out a few times and have not ever received any letters, but I have to say that I think it's great how strict they are here as it has really allowed the neighborhood to stay very nice looking despite its age! Rentals are not cheap in here; usually $2500 a month minimum now. I guess it's to protect against all those HOA fines

Old 05-16-2007, 08:01 AM

212 posts, read 1,076,609 times
cvic,

Are you still looking at Round Rock? I am also going to be working in the Stonebridge office building (for Microsoft) and we bought a house in Round Rock (Behrens Ranch) where they have an exemplary school onsite. RP and Steiner are also both great areas and you see more of the hill country living there than RR.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,105 times
Thanks once again to Cali, Gigi and Austin97. Wonder why Trainwreck has not given his views

Ganks,
I found out it's either Stonebridge or Barker lane. I am not sure where either one is but for the most part I hope to work from home
Our first choice was/is RR. The reason we looked at Steiner,RP was for the schools and because we thought it would be closer to Oracle. But Avery Ranch was/is our first choice as we want a new(er) house but am not sure of schools there.

What elementary is Behrens ranch in? I would not mind being near someone I "know" I am a little afraid of moving to a place where I have no family or friends

As you can tell, I am a little confused !!!
I hope to have a better idea once we once we visit tonight!!!

Question for everybody. Are one year leases the only option in Austin? We do want to rent for a while but we may fall in love with a place in 6 months and want to buy it, so are a little apprehensive of getting caught in a 1 year lease. Any thoughts???
Thanks!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,834 times
Sometimes you can find 6 - 9 month leases as well. I do it all the time for my clients that are building and need somewhere to stay while the home gets finished as well as people in your situation. Moderator cut: soliciting
Otherwise, all the places you are considering are great. Does your kiddo have any specific activities or intrests you think he/she might want to participate in at school? Some schools have specific programs that are their strength.

Another thing to consider (especially for some of the neighborhoods you are interested in) is the difference in the taxes. Not that it will matter when you are renting, but once to decide to buy, it will have a tremendous impact on your payments.

Christine, Realtor
Moderator cut: contact info

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 05-16-2007 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Please read the rules regarding realtor advertising/soliciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin