Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:28 AM

629 posts, read 1,653,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Seriously, Walmart is going to bring high crime to Allandale???? You are so out of touch. And, to those who said "crappy jobs", at least it is bringing jobs. What a bunch of nonsense statements!
No, 90% of jobs Wal-Mart brings are really crappy jobs - low wages, no benefits, little opportunity to advance.

Whoever said Wal-Mart employs many students and seniors, at first I agreed and thought it was probably a good thing, but then I thought: If those students had decent financial aid available to them, they could focus on their studies rather than need to work. And those seniors? Well if they had a decent paying job with benefits before they reached retirement age (like the ones Wal-Mart doesn't provide), they wouldn't have to work and could actually retire like their peers.

Look, there are definitely some benefits to a new Wal-Mart, but the "jobs" it will bring isn't really one of them. Working the average job at Wal-Mart won't even bring you above the poverty line, and many Wal-Mart employees have to rely on public assistance programs, which lessens any overall sales tax benefit from the big box store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:50 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
It's opening this fall. I'm sure a lot of central Austinites hate this, but it will create a ton of jobs. I wonder how many protestors will still shop there. I know people in central Austin that are glad they are opening.

Three-years later, Northcross Wal-Mart finally opening - Austin Business Journal:
I don't hate it, but I really don't care. I don't plan to shop there. A 'ton' of jobs? Really? I can't imagine there would be more than 100 minimum wage jobs. Horray.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
this is exactly the snobbish (and I do mean snobbish) attitude that the elite have. Your stereotypes of walmart shoppers frankly are disgusting. Just because bad people happen to shop at that walmart in that area does not mean all, most or even many walmart shoppers are drunks, prostitutes or muggers as compared to any other store.
I don't know, I've seen some interesting walmart shoppers on a certain website that shows lot of peopleofwalmart dot com.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
That's not the point I was making. Your post makes no sense. Yeah, most food, like Kraft is made in China. Juicy Juice is right out of Hong Kong.
Which is why many people- including myself- don't buy it. If people want to poison their kids, that's their choice. Buy the oranges and squeeze them- so many things out of China are poison.

Last edited by mimimomx3; 02-02-2010 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Again, another nonsense comment that makes no sense. If you can't add to the conversation, then don't bother. I was making the point that everything Walmart sells is not made in China.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Again, another nonsense comment that makes no sense. If you can't add to the conversation, then don't bother. I was making the point that everything Walmart sells is not made in China.
Thanks, moderator.
Most of what WM sells in the 'hard good' aisles is junk, in my opinion. Unfortunately, as our trade balance with China shows FTD - Statistics - Country Data - U.S. Trade Balance with China
we buy too much junk we don't need from China, most of it from places like WM.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 AM

629 posts, read 1,653,557 times
Quote:
I read a study that said something around 80 to 90% of Wal-Mart stuff is made in China. I think that's pretty darn decisive.

Edit: By the way, I visited the new Sprouts grocery store that's at 183 and Great Hills Trl for the first time last weekend. They seem to have some pretty quality stuff there, and their staff are ridiculously helpful.

Edit again: http://www.newrules.org/retail/key-s...-bigbox-retail

If you want any more info on the following topics, click the link above:
"Studies have found that locally owned stores generate much greater benefits for the local economy than national chains."
"These studies examine whether the arrival of a superstore increases or decreases the number of retail jobs in the region."
"Studies have found that big-box retailers, particularly Wal-Mart, are depressing wages and benefits for retail employees."
"These studies look at how the arrival of a big-box retailer displaces sales at existing businesses, which must then downsize or close. This results in job losses and declining tax revenue, which some of these studies quantify."
"Counties that have gained Wal-Mart stores have fared worse in terms of family poverty rates, according to this study."
"This study found that Wal-Mart reduces a community's level of social capital, as measured by voter turnout and the number of active community organizations."
"These studies compare the municipal tax benefits of big-box development with the cost of providing these stores with city services, such as road maintenance, police and fire—finding that cities do not always come out ahead."
"Because many of their employees do not earn enough to make ends meet, states are reporting high costs associated with providing healthcare (Medicaid) and other public assistance to big-box employees."
"The expansion of big-box retailers has been financed in part by massive development subsidies and tax advantages provided by local and state governments. These studies document those subsidies and their failure to produce real economic benefits for communities."
"Are chains better for consumers?"
"How do vehicle miles traveled and trips increase as a result of big box developments"
"Small businesses donate about twice as much per employee to charitable organizations as large businesses, according to this study"

Well geez, with considerations like the above, it's no wonder the surrounding community opposed the new development.

Last edited by thesonofgray; 02-02-2010 at 11:18 AM..

Old 02-02-2010, 11:22 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Quote:
Dude, c'mon. You love WallyWorld, and you're jealous they didn't build one at Escarpement/Slaughter aren't you? .

Old 02-02-2010, 11:35 AM

Actually, I'm a Target shopper. I just think it's good for that area since choices are limited. I know plenty of people who live around there that welcome it. Apart from you liberal elitists that is.

P.S. I'm one of the lucky ones living in SW Austin away from all the big box but if you live in the city, you live around retail, so get used to it.

Oh and before you go on and on about the big box on Brodie, etc., I live in SW Austin, easily 8 miles away from that so your argument doesn't work here.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Thanks, moderator.
Most of what WM sells in the 'hard good' aisles is junk, in my opinion. Unfortunately, as our trade balance with China shows FTD - Statistics - Country Data - U.S. Trade Balance with China
we buy too much junk we don't need from China, most of it from places like WM.
I'm sure that every single thing in your home is made in the USA. I highly doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin