Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:21 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times

Advertisements

I lived right off 360 (like 100 feet) many years ago. You will get used to it, and it won't be annoying. It's actually better if it's a highway, where traffic is pretty regular (constant white noise) and doesn't have to stop/start.

Having said that, the real issue is resale value. And it's a big one -- just remember you will have to discount your house significantly compared to others in the neighborhood which don't back to the highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 01:34 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
Think about resale. There are homes in SW Austin that they market as greenbelt lots. The backyards border main roads. The noise inside is nonexistent, but if you open the back door, the noise is a dealbraker in a resale. People who buy these homes are excited at the prospect of no backyard neighbors, but they pay for it when they decide to move.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 PM

22 posts, read 83,247 times
Thank you for all your replies. I appreciate everyone's input and it is very helpful in our decision. This house is in a neighborhood with a lot of trees, so that helps some. The backyard backs to greenbelt and 71 is in the distance. The road can't be heard from inside the house at all, or from the patio area in the back, as the pool with its water feature blocks it out completely. But, past the pool and to the back part of the backyard, that's where the noise begins. We are very concerned about resale, so this is a big decision for us.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:44 PM

439 posts, read 1,256,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_residents View Post
Thank you for all your replies. I appreciate everyone's input and it is very helpful in our decision. This house is in a neighborhood with a lot of trees, so that helps some. The backyard backs to greenbelt and 71 is in the distance. The road can't be heard from inside the house at all, or from the patio area in the back, as the pool with its water feature blocks it out completely. But, past the pool and to the back part of the backyard, that's where the noise begins. We are very concerned about resale, so this is a big decision for us.

Don't let that water feature fool ya, we had a waterfall too with our pool. People buying the home will turn it off just to see if they can hear the noise. You won't want it on all the time anyways because it cost money to run the pump. Bottom line is this, people like to sit and read a book on their back patio in peace and quite.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 AM

163 posts, read 318,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think you would get used to the sound fairly quickly.

But a bigger issue might be that SH 71 is likely to continously gain traffic as Austin grows.

I don't know where on 71 you are considering. But over time traffic will steadily grow West - past 620 and towards Briarcliff.

SH 71 between Austin and Bastrop is also likely to be worse over time.
i also think this, above all other suggestions, should be taken into consideration. i believe anyone buying a house anywhere in austin should take a look at projected traffic growth trends in the area.

a subtle "whoosh" every now and then may be tolerable compared to grid locked traffic trapping you from exiting your property.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 AM

55 posts, read 174,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Think about it this way: you are considering the house, but concerned about the noise. Think of all the people who will be looking at it when you eventually go to sell it. They will have the exact same concern.
I agree, I know it's a different country but in the UK our house was near to a freeway and there was constant noise. We didn't notice it after a while but it was the major factor that stopped our house from selling, even though it was very well priced. We bought it low and sold it very low. Luckily we had owned it for more than 10 years and so we did make some money

When we buy in Austin, we would not consider even looking at houses with noticable road noise so if re-sale value is important to you, you should look elsewhere!

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:38 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,001 times
I can stand in the greenbelt behind my house and see the cars about a thousand feet away on Mo-Pac crossing the bridge just north of WmCannon. From outside we get the car noise but inside we only hear the occasional very loud noise maybe 2 or 3 times a week if that. The noise I hear outside is loudest at rush hour but nothing that bothers me and much of the time I don't notice it at all. I think I will get a fountain if the noise ever does bother me and see how that works. I get more noise from the noisy neighbors that rented the house next door and rehearse their band. They have woken me up very late at night. The ease of access to Mo-Pac from 2 directions and the great schools we have make up for the slight noise we get. I am wondering if the house for sale 2 doors down hasn't sold because of the traffic. The possible buyers, loss because this is a great neighborhood.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 9,425 times
We are looking at a great house backing to Lohmans Crossing in the Hills... the house is built so the back of it (with limited windows) is facing the street, mostly every living space is turned towards a beautiful courtyard. Entrance is from a cove, on the inside of the neighborhood. Should we be too concerned about the noise and appeal to potential buyers in the future? The house is marked at a premium rate right now and notably because of it's has amazing finish-out, but the street IS in the back... should this automatically play a role in the price?

Old 07-06-2010, 10:57 AM

246 posts, read 857,695 times
How far is the house from 71? If it's more than 1000 feet, it's probably not a huge issue, although it's obviously an issue of some degree if you noticed it on your first visit. If it's within 1000 feet highway noise can be more of a concern.

Depending on the topography and arrangement of the house and yard with respect to the highway, it might make sense to build a wall around the patio or back yard to significantly reduce the amount of noise outside.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:24 AM

653 posts, read 1,793,881 times
Listen for cars that blast their stereo bass.
This noise is way worse than the white noise of normal traffic.

There was an episode of Bones, where the motive of the murder was noise, the person became so irritated by their neighbor's noise, that they killed the neighbor, just to stop the noise. (They only meant to scare them, but it killed them).

Actually I am buying a house that backs up to a semi-main street (not much traffic).
I am questioning my choice.
But everything else about the house is exactly what I want, and I am not seeing another house that has everything else I like about this house.

I am losing my hearing anyway, and noise no longer bothers me like it did in the past.

Someone did tell me that Bamboo makes a good noise barrier (or was it that the threat of planting Bamboo could be used to get noisy neighbors to quiet down some?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin