U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 PM

22 posts, read 42,018 times
Default Living near a busy road, how annoying is it?

We're considering making an offer on a house off of 71. The house is great, but in the distance is 71, with a steady flow of cars most hours of the day. Standing in the backyard, there is a constant and pretty loud "wooshing" sound from the cars going by, and I don't know if that is something that would bother us all the time we lived there, or a sound that we wouldn't even notice after a short time. Anyone live near a busy road and can give us the real deal on road noise in the backyard? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:28 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,701,051 times
Everything is a tradeoff.

Determine how much you like the house first, and then worry about the street noise once you've determined that you love the house. Many people live near or along busy streets. As long as you can't hear the noise IN the house, then i'm guessing you would get used to it. But I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_residents View Post
We're considering making an offer on a house off of 71. The house is great, but in the distance is 71, with a steady flow of cars most hours of the day. Standing in the backyard, there is a constant and pretty loud "wooshing" sound from the cars going by, and I don't know if that is something that would bother us all the time we lived there, or a sound that we wouldn't even notice after a short time. Anyone live near a busy road and can give us the real deal on road noise in the backyard? Thank you!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:01 AM

12,364 posts, read 12,203,430 times
I think you would get used to the sound fairly quickly.

But a bigger issue might be that SH 71 is likely to continously gain traffic as Austin grows.

I don't know where on 71 you are considering. But over time traffic will steadily grow West - past 620 and towards Briarcliff.

SH 71 between Austin and Bastrop is also likely to be worse over time.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:37 AM

2,348 posts, read 5,984,236 times
We live off of 183 by 29 before Liberty Hill. The sound no problem but getting into and out of the neighborhood is scary. To turn in you have to come to a complete stop to turn against traffic on a highway where folks go 70 so hopefully they stop behind you. Sort of what you hear about landing on an air craft carrier with the gas going be the brakes on at the same time pulling G's at the sam etime because of the turn...at least now they are building a new highway here to make everyone slow down and we get a turn lane.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:48 AM

420 posts, read 770,884 times
I wouldn't do it if I were you. We had this issue with the first house we sold in Phoenix, it was the 3rd house down from a busy side street. The buyers mention the noise a lot to our realtor. It wasn't even a main street either. You coundn't hear the noise fron inside but nobody wanted to sit outside in the backyard and hear it either. When we first bought the home there wasn't as much noise, then they started building on empty lots near the freeway a few miles away, so more and more cars were on all the roads.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 AM

806 posts, read 864,137 times
I wouldn't do it, either. The buzz of traffic may not be too noticeable or annoying when you're at the house checking it out, but consider that sound coming into your ears 24/7, 365 days a year. It can get to be almost piercing for some people.

In addition, access to and from your home might be a problem, and if you have kids driving or about to drive, it could get a little frightening.

I'd also be concerned about future development, both residential and commercial. If a gravel pit opened up three miles down the road, how many trucks would you begin to hear, airbraking up and down the highway?

Emergency vehicles use main streets, so prepare for sirens. Finally, consider the potential for car accidents on your stretch of highway, which could affect access to/from your home.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:55 AM

587 posts, read 823,319 times
Think about it this way: you are considering the house, but concerned about the noise. Think of all the people who will be looking at it when you eventually go to sell it. They will have the exact same concern.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 PM

130 posts, read 224,869 times
Do not do it. I've seen 3-4 lovely houses right next to a busy street (one was backing 183A)..and said NO to all of them. I've seen one particular house listed at 230K once and after 2 months was reduced to 180K. The reason was road-noise... (This was the one backing 183A). Soundproofing will not help. You want to sleep peacefully in the night.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:04 PM

4,264 posts, read 7,718,700 times
There's a difference between being "near" a busy street, and backing to a highway. 71 is a highway. As long as you buy it so much below average market and realize you'll sell it so much below average market as well, you're ok. But don't plan on buying it low and then selling it at average market value in the future.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:13 PM

130 posts, read 224,869 times
FalconHeadWest - Thanks for your infinite wisdom!.
"Standing in the backyard, there is a constant and pretty loud "wooshing" sound" - The OP's property under consideration gives a normal person like me enough clues that its pretty "near". I've gone to an extent that had measured the dB levels standing outside and sitting in the living area. I would presume same case with the OP.

To be honest- if you have already gotten the feeling of "road noise" or "disturbance" - everybody else who will consider that house will witness it. Plain simple words "NO".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin