Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Give it a shot, but I'd suggest visiting first. You didn't mention what you degree or field is, but be aware you'll be competing with approximately 100,000+ students from UT-Austin and Texas A&M for a narrow range of jobs. Many employers will prefer recent grads from their alma mater. You cannot just apply for a job here, it takes connections, which you will not have if you move from out of state.

I'll get flamed for saying that, but if you're going through the expense, effort, and risk of moving cross-country, you deserve the truth, not down-your-throat advertising.
I agree with visiting first.

But I disagree with the comments about UT and A&M grads. First of all - they don't graduate 100,000 students per year - more like 15,000 combined. Second of all - they are not all in your field. Third - they look for jobs everywhere in Texas and beyond. Fourth - I think the preference for hiring from their alma mater is overstated. Fifth - hiring managers come from everywhere in Austin. My boss is a Princeton graduate with an MBA from Stanford. My boss before that was from Miss. St.

Would a diehard Longhorn manager prefer to hire a UT grad? Maybe so if he/she is choosing from candidates of similar quality. But Rutgers is a highly respected school and the OP should have as good a chance at any competing for a job.

Texas is very different from NJ. We are a low services state and not union-oriented. We pump our own gas. But it sounds like Austin is a good place for the OP to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 08:52 AM

30 posts, read 56,794 times
Awesome post hoffdano thanks

Old 02-03-2010, 10:56 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
It is important to remember that the job market is tight in Austin in just about all fields. It may be worse in most other medium to large cities in the US, but Austin isn't a haven for job hunters now.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:37 PM

oh yea i know.. its hard to get jobs everywhere.. i dont view Austin as a city with a surplus of jobs lol

Im hoping I can transfer from my company to the Austin location

Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 PM

65 posts, read 179,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
There's a lot of bias on this forum, on both sides....
Very true, and very unfortunate since it makes it difficult to get accurate information here. Fortunately for me I live an hour away in San Antonio and can drive up to Austin as often as I like to see it for myself.

Having been there several times, my wife and I have already decided to move

Ok, a personal question - as someone who is newly married and wasn't single that long ago, what are you looking for in the "single" lifestyle? Are you looking for a girlfriend/wife or do you just want the party lifestyle? If you want the latter, I'd highly recommend Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ. I've lived all over the country and it has the highest concentration of hotties by far, and the best male/female ratio. The girls there are party girls and not looking for a husband, just a good time.

If you want a girlfriend or wife though, go to Austin. Plenty of hotties there too, but I get the impression that they have their heads screwed on better than the Arizona girls.

On the NJ thing, I'm from NJ and hate it and the people too. That's why I left. I think you'll find that most people who leave have their reasons and don't fit into the guido "Jersey Shore" stereotype.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 PM

Hahahah that's great

I'm looking to have some fun, maybe meet a wife, but that's defintiely not my "mission"

Scottsdale huh?

I know Arizona has hot girls that's for sure.. never been to Scottsdale or really know anyone who has... May have to research

Old 02-03-2010, 01:30 PM

103 posts, read 211,167 times
I would just like to point out that only ONE person on "Jersey Shore" was actually from the Jersey shore. The rest were from New York and Rhode Island. Just sayin...

I'm actually from Texas but have been living in New Jersey since 2001. I can't wait to move back home. It's cold here. I will say though, that a lot of what appears to be rudeness is just the East Coast way of getting to the point...quickly. Most people aren't trying to be rude. That's just the way it is here. Everyone talks over everyone else...people tend to shout when they talk...nosy questions are the norm...it's part of the Italian family culture. (as explained to me by Italians!) It's not a bad thing. It's just very different from the way Texans are raised. I came to New Jersey with the habit of saying "Yes sir" and "Yes ma'am" to anyone older than me...you'd think I spit in their face by their reactions! It's just a very different way of life.

I think even I will miss the food when we move back to Texas!! Luckily my Yankee husband can cook!!!

I wish the OP good luck with his move! Austin is a great city. If you arrive with an open mind and a willing heart...and a job...you'll be fine!

Old 02-03-2010, 01:41 PM

yea campbell.. east coast is like that

the kinder the better as far as im concerned... people may not "mean to be rude".. but they can still be a$$holes hahah

but i understand that their are jerks and a-holes no matter where u go

Old 02-04-2010, 06:58 AM

587 posts, read 1,419,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeCD View Post
Hahahah that's great

I'm looking to have some fun, maybe meet a wife, but that's defintiely not my "mission"

Scottsdale huh?

I know Arizona has hot girls that's for sure.. never been to Scottsdale or really know anyone who has... May have to research
Scottsdale itself will be more expensive as far as housing goes, but yeah, if you are looking for a good time partying, the clubs there fit the bill. I think Thursdays are "lingerie" night at some of the clubs and the women actually go dressed in lingerie. I couldn't believe it until some 20-something girls I worked with showed me some pictures.

Another thing of note is that a lot of girls get boob jobs as their graduation present in Scottsdale.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 AM

97 posts, read 197,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Scottsdale itself will be more expensive as far as housing goes, but yeah, if you are looking for a good time partying, the clubs there fit the bill. I think Thursdays are "lingerie" night at some of the clubs and the women actually go dressed in lingerie. I couldn't believe it until some 20-something girls I worked with showed me some pictures.

Another thing of note is that a lot of girls get boob jobs as their graduation present in Scottsdale.
Hmmmmm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin