Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 04:30 PM

12 posts, read 33,893 times

Advertisements

Hello Y'all,

I had yet another question in regards to the weather in Austin and the outskirts. Currently looking to move to Leander and I check the weather daily along with talking to the builder. It seems that there is a LOT of rain that moves in and out of Austin weekly. Why does Austin claim 300+ days of sunshine according numerous websites. Is it normal for this time of year and is this the time where the 60 days out of a year seem to hit with the rain and all? California sure does have some great weather but then again their is always trade offs right?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 8,881 times
Smile Weather in Austin

Hi,
I am from California and we moved to Austin in October. Where do you live in California currently? We thought the weather was going to be way worse than it actually is and they said we had a wet winter this year and it didn't affect us at all. The weather isn't as bad as you think it will be. We are happy we took the plunge and did the move cuz Austin is a great place to live!

People here are nice and open and you'll notice there are a ton of transplants. You'll notice when you move here.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:11 PM

12 posts, read 33,893 times
Default Weather

I currently live in South Orange County to be exact. I'm sure it's fine, probably the news blowing everything out of proportion. How were you when those storms past late last weekend. I believe at least 5 to 6 people died didn't they?

Old 05-28-2007, 05:53 PM

87 posts, read 383,335 times
This has been a very wet spring, especially since we have been in a drought for about the last 3 years. Spring is our wettest season and is when we count on beneficial rains before the summer kicks in.

I still think fall and winter is when Austin's best weather comes...you can't beat those days when it's 65 degrees and sunny outside with low humidity. Now there is times when the weather gets cold, but that is far and few between.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:07 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
mvnandshkn....

we lived in south Orange County (Ladera Ranch) for a year...there is definitely much more rain and humidity here in Austin than in southern California. The weather patterns here are very variable and you never know what you're gonna get. Today they said there was an 80% chance of rain; we had a holiday BBQ party at our club pool and we got a few sprinkles but mostly it was in the high 80s all day and gorgeous.

I guess my point is that the weather here can be an adjustment due to its unpredictability, not its level of rainfall or other inclement weather. Every day is a crap shoot!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:54 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvnandshkn View Post
I currently live in South Orange County to be exact. I'm sure it's fine, probably the news blowing everything out of proportion. How were you when those storms past late last weekend. I believe at least 5 to 6 people died didn't they?
I don't know if that number is accurate or not, but if so, it is predominatley from people driving around low water crossing barriers. These are like little railroad track crossing barriers. It is easy to go around. The problem is the water doesn't look too deep, or even that fast, but even many of the big 'ol Texas trucks can get enough water under the tire tread, and the tires will hydorplane sideways, and all bets are off. The trucks, or other vehicles, are carried pretty far and if the passengers cannot be rescused, then they will drown.

We came from RSM in So. OC, and pretty much have gotten used to the weather, and yes, in our 4 years here, this has been the wettest spring so far, so going to weather.com right now does not truly represent all four years we have been here, but it really a new data point to us. We are liking the temps so far, we haven't broke $80 on electricity, or water this month. By the way, we are so glad we are not paying $0.25-0.35 per KWh for electricity. Through Austin Energy, we pay a blended rate of about $0.11 KWh, so we can run our A/C without worrying like we had to in O.C.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:57 PM

206 posts, read 1,311,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvnandshkn View Post
Why does Austin claim 300+ days of sunshine according numerous websites.
Thanks
That still holds true. The remaining 65 days we have rain.
And I don't think Austiners will have any real big complaints about the rain.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:25 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
I always wonder how they do the sunny day counting...for example, it was sunny this afternoon, after an inch or so of rain this morning. Is that a sunny day or a rainy day, or both?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:36 AM

206 posts, read 1,311,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I always wonder how they do the sunny day counting...for example, it was sunny this afternoon, after an inch or so of rain this morning. Is that a sunny day or a rainy day, or both?
May be a Runny day or a Srainy day....

Old 05-29-2007, 08:54 AM

111 posts, read 332,838 times
I can't WAIT to see rain again. Moving to SoCal from Hawaii 21 years ago, I miss rain. In particular, I miss WARM rain. Heck. I miss weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin