Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It is not a good idea to use your real name on internet forums. I'm assuming you did. Anyone who googles for Naomi Manischewitz will find this thread.
Lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo

busted...

Naomi - sign up for a google voice account. You can pick the area code you want and its free. Tie it to your cell phone ...you can always block your number when calling into Austin

I would not waste the money on a p.o. box....simply pick up many addresses of foreclosed homes in the area and use them....tell your prospective employer your renting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 05:04 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It is not a good idea to use your real name on internet forums. I'm assuming you did. Anyone who googles for Naomi Manischewitz will find this thread.
Naomi Manischewitz is not my name.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo

busted...

Naomi - sign up for a google voice account. You can pick the area code you want and its free. Tie it to your cell phone ...you can always block your number when calling into Austin

I would not waste the money on a p.o. box....simply pick up many addresses of foreclosed homes in the area and use them....tell your prospective employer your renting...
NM is not my name!!
Didn't think of google voice account. So on one cell phone I could have 2 different area codes? I don't know if I like the idea of using a foreclosed home address just in the chance I do get mail before I get my place.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:14 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post
Is it not acceptable to have a po box? I know many locals that do...
In addition to not really wanting to, I don't think this may be an option, anyway.

When we first arrived here in Minnesota, we were staying in a hotel while looking for someplace to rent. We found a place, but it was under construction and not going to be finished for 6 weeks. We went to the Post Office to open a PO Box and they would not let us without a local address!!!

We said if we had a local address, we wouldn't need a PO Box!

Long story short, they just would not let us open one because our licenses said Arizona and that's how we found Mail Boxes Etc.

I don't know if that's national policy for the post office, but they gave us a very hard time and we didn't leave happy...

Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
NM is not my name!!
Didn't think of google voice account. So on one cell phone I could have 2 different area codes? I don't know if I like the idea of using a foreclosed home address just in the chance I do get mail before I get my place.
Google voice will let you pick your phone number from available numbers in any area code.. so for Austin, you'd get a 512 number. Then via the web interface, you can have that number forward to any cell or land line you want (or have it roll among several)... Or, you can have it go straight to voicemail that you set up on GV. It will even transcribe the voicemails and text them to your cell phone (works fairly well).

The only problem, as the other poster mentioned, is making outbound calls. You can't make outbound calls with GV yet, so the other poster suggested blocking your caller ID outbound on your regular phone when calling a potential employer in Austin.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Google voice will let you pick your phone number from available numbers in any area code.. so for Austin, you'd get a 512 number. Then via the web interface, you can have that number forward to any cell or land line you want (or have it roll among several)... Or, you can have it go straight to voicemail that you set up on GV. It will even transcribe the voicemails and text them to your cell phone (works fairly well).

The only problem, as the other poster mentioned, is making outbound calls. You can't make outbound calls with GV yet, so the other poster suggested blocking your caller ID outbound on your regular phone when calling a potential employer in Austin.
Wow. Thank you! I sent an invitation to GV because not that many people have it yet and there is some kind of waiting list. So let me guess this straight. I can keep my own area code, but add another number with a different area code (courtesy of GV) and it will ring on my phone along with my regular number?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:41 PM

102 posts, read 308,175 times
Quote:
Wow. Thank you! I sent an invitation to GV because not that many people have it yet and there is some kind of waiting list. So let me guess this straight. I can keep my own area code, but add another number with a different area code (courtesy of GV) and it will ring on my phone along with my regular number?
I had forgotten about this. I've been using Google Voice regularly for a few years, when they used to be Grand Central. Your understanding is correct. This way you wouldn't even need to buy a prepaid phone. You should change the voice mail message though, mine still announces that it's a Google phone number. You might want to turn call screening off too.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtalman View Post
I had forgotten about this. I've been using Google Voice regularly for a few years, when they used to be Grand Central. Your understanding is correct. This way you wouldn't even need to buy a prepaid phone. You should change the voice mail message though, mine still announces that it's a Google phone number. You might want to turn call screening off too.

Is it complicated to change the voice mail message? My voice mail for my cell is just a generic recording. Still didn't get an invite, but I am waiting

Old 02-09-2010, 07:41 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,562 times
Quote:
Is it complicated to change the voice mail message? My voice mail for my cell is just a generic recording. Still didn't get an invite, but I am waiting

No....GV will give you a phone number to call that will record your greeting. You can set up multiple greetings that you control within GV...you will also get messages or texts (optional) to alert you to new phone calls...

I give this number out to everybody and everything and use it for all applications. Its refreshing to get messages from telemarketers and all i have to do is hit delete message...

Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
No....GV will give you a phone number to call that will record your greeting. You can set up multiple greetings that you control within GV...you will also get messages or texts (optional) to alert you to new phone calls...

I give this number out to everybody and everything and use it for all applications. Its refreshing to get messages from telemarketers and all i have to do is hit delete message...
And this is free for incoming calls???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin