Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:04 PM

97 posts, read 199,333 times

Advertisements

Like I said folks...I am not bashing here..maybe I was expecting too much from Texas..I am sure I will get used to it...and I am not bashing HEB here but I wish there were some more stores thats all......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 06:23 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
This is an interesting thread because I consider grocery stores to be one of Austin's strong suits. The quality and quantity of options here is unparalleled in other places where I've lived and visited. For example, an upgraded HEB (not to be confused with Central Market) here blows away most of the "high end" grocery stores in Los Angeles. And there must be more "natural" grocers here per capita than in any city of comparable size.
YES.

The HEB near 360 and Bee Caves (Westlake?) has exquisite seafood and other very high-end products for really reasonable prices. Boy do I miss that place. Since we moved I have to go to 3 different places to get the products I desire at a decent price. The OP must be from grocery heaven.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
The parking spaces used to be bigger. As I recall it, it had to do with being "environmentally friendly" by having spaces for small cars only (that was the fad du jour back then), and was started by Whole Foods after they started getting too big for their britches (at least, they were the first ones to have parking spaces that were limited to small cars, when they were at 6th and Lamar on the other side of 6th by Book People). For a long time there were sufficient spaces so that those who didn't want to drive tiny cars could also park, but I've noticed the last time I went down that there are fewer of those. I agree, it's annoying.

There ARE a lot of places to shop for groceries here - someone upthread listed quite a few of them. But, hey, OP, you could be like me. I have one tiny grocery store within 3 miles of me, and other than that, I have to drive at least 10 miles to get to a "regular" sized one. Granted, that's an upscale HEB, or in the other direction a brand new Brookshire Brothers that is very similar, but it is ten miles. Teaches you to think ahead, though!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:40 PM

16 posts, read 53,650 times
Any hope for a Trader Joe's anytime soon? It seems that Trader Joe's would fit in with Austin, especially considering the popularity of Whole Foods there...

Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Oh, no, you don't want to go there. Just search for Trader Joe's on this forum and you'll see why!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:03 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
To the OP: I understand that the variety of grocery stores may be more limited than what you are used to. I have noticed it myself. (And I will miss Trader Joe's , but THL is right; you might want to check out earlier threads) But as someone who has moved several times in my life, and who will be moving to Austin shortly, I can say that you need to give it time. When you first move, nothing seems as convenient/easy/good as the last place you lived. But you (and I) will find new places, establish new patterns, and you will adjust. In the meantime, don't spend time or energy being critical of your new home. It just prolongs your adjustment time, and doesn't endear you to your neighbors. Everyplace has its high and low points. So you may find that in some ways, Austin won't ever measure up to your old home. But you will probably also find ways that Austin is far superior. Speaking for myself, I am planning on loving it!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:18 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Oh, no, you don't want to go there. Just search for Trader Joe's on this forum and you'll see why!
I'm fairly new to this forum so I haven't seen any of those threads, but I can easily imagine. I've had the Trader Joe's conversation with many of my fellow ex-Californians.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:19 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
To the OP: I understand that the variety of grocery stores may be more limited than what you are used to. I have noticed it myself. (And I will miss Trader Joe's , but THL is right; you might want to check out earlier threads) But as someone who has moved several times in my life, and who will be moving to Austin shortly, I can say that you need to give it time. When you first move, nothing seems as convenient/easy/good as the last place you lived. But you (and I) will find new places, establish new patterns, and you will adjust. In the meantime, don't spend time or energy being critical of your new home. It just prolongs your adjustment time, and doesn't endear you to your neighbors. Everyplace has its high and low points. So you may find that in some ways, Austin won't ever measure up to your old home. But you will probably also find ways that Austin is far superior. Speaking for myself, I am planning on loving it!
Fantastic Post. These are wise words.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:40 PM

97 posts, read 251,557 times
Well one thing I would have to agree on are the parking spaces. They are smaller here. Particularly in Central Austin. I know some places to park have designated spots for green cars and compact cars. Yet, as someone mentioned earlier, Austin just might be trying to be "environmentally friendly".

You will get used to it though. Just watch out for the bad drivers!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:58 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
There are many different grocery stores outside of the bigger chains (I honestly find your complaint bizarre). Here in South Austin we have Sun Harvest, New Flower and Sprout's, which are all fantastic.

Where in Austin do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin