Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times

Advertisements

There is so much to do in this town, the difficult part is making a decision. The Austin Chronicle has some good guides as to what is happening. Austin News, Events, Restaurants, Music - AustinChronicle.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,128 times
I'm sorry, but whoever told you there is nothing to do in Austin is a first rate moron.

Numerous bars/clubs/restaurants to fit ANY taste.
Numerous movie theaters.
UT sporting events.
Minor league hockey.
Lake Travis, Lake Austin, and Town Lake.
Numerous shopping venues with everything from thrift stores to at least 5 stores where you can spend over $3000 on a suit.
Golf, tennis, cycling, hiking, rowing, swimming, etc.
Concerts and shows.
Numerous churches.
Caves.
Hamilton Pool.
Barton Springs.
Horseback riding.
Polo.
Vineyards.
Bookstores.

etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by jdevelop2; 02-11-2010 at 06:24 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 AM

163 posts, read 318,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Contrary to what the media tells you, there is little if anything interesting to do in this town. The quality of food offerings is generally no better than Abilene or Waco and the entertainment is pretty much centered on one street. 6th street. Any high end entertainment, you must drive to Dallas or Houston for. Any other forms of amusement you can probably get by driving to San Antonio.

why do you even post on the austin forum? you're so predictable.

while i may agree with you on certain points, i have a very difficult time taking you seriously. i think your posts have gotten to the point that no one takes your opinion into consideration. even as i've disagreed with many on this forum and become ill-tempered, i feel i've at least assisted others and attempt a constructive demanor. you on the other hand, make everyone who has anything negative to say about austin, seem just as arrogant as you.

just stop.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:46 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Contrary to what the media tells you, there is little if anything interesting to do in this town. The quality of food offerings is generally no better than Abilene or Waco and the entertainment is pretty much centered on one street. 6th street. Any high end entertainment, you must drive to Dallas or Houston for. Any other forms of amusement you can probably get by driving to San Antonio.
What Abilene are you referring too? I've lived in Abilene and I've lived in Austin. Austin is a MUCH better and more diverse food city then Abilene (well, except for maybe BBQ, West Texas BBQ is hard to beat). 6th Street? It's cool, but every time I'm in Austin, I normally don't spend a lot of time on 6th Street (too crowded IMO). My favorite music venues are Antone's on 4th and and The Mohawk on Red River. Both of those pretty famous and iconic music venues, especially Antone's. 6th Street is the most famous, but there's stuff going on all the way from about 3rd to about 10th Street. You also have some pretty cool shops and restaurants on The Drag in the north side of downtown (although, admittedly it's more for college age kids then anyone else) and you also have South Congress on the other side of Town Lake which is another Austin street that's famous for its nightlife.

If you insist on trolling Austin threads, you might as well try and learn something about the place before doing so. If you don't like Austin, that's fine, but your ignorant statements make it seem as though you've never been to the city.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:01 AM

132 posts, read 225,486 times
My fiance and I will be in Austin from The 1st thru 4th of April. Most of that time we'll be looking at apartments and hopefully having a lease written up to sign in late April or early May! But... I was just curious if some of you could offer some advice on some of the "less crowded/lower tempo" things that we might want to do. We are moving down to your lovely city for sure, so we will have time for the music events and live entertainment in Austin later, but we were thinking more a long the lines of some quieter spots to maybe check out views of the city.

Maybe some land marks or historical features that would be fun to kick around at?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:39 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
In defense of the suburbs, there are actually non chain cafes, restaurants, and non-cover band musicians out here. Just out here in my neck of Eastern Williamson County (Hutto) we have The Texan Cafe, Mario's, Rio Grande, El Poblanito, Maggiore's, and Hutto Donuts...oops, and Pink Penguin Frozen Yogurt, and Bien Hoa. Down the road in Taylor are a few mom and pop places like Louis Mueller's BBQ, Taylor Cafe, Ed's Place, a small Mexican Grocery Store, a couple of Mexican Restaurants, a German restaurant..
We also have Coupland Inn and Dance Hall, Armadillo Saloon (a copy of Armadillo World Headquarters), Walburg Biergardens and Granger Cotton Club..all of which host musicians that come out of Central Austin.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyd088 View Post
So we'll be moving shortly but I've heard (consistantly) that there's "nothing to do" in Austin. I can hardly believe that so I'm coming to the experts.

My hubby (when we do get out) like to go to the movies and have a nice dinner out (nice dinner is like a Claim Jumpers, etc...). We also like to head out to music bars or clubs (almost any type of music).

Please tell me that there are things like that to do in Austin. We will be living in or around Cedar Park, if that helps.

Does all of Austin close at 9pm as many have said?

Thanks for the help!!!
Too much stuff to list lol here's the link to the Austin CVB

Austin Texas - Events, Austin Hotels & Attractions, Convention Information, Guides, and More - ACVB

Old 03-10-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
In defense of the suburbs, there are actually non chain cafes, restaurants, and non-cover band musicians out here. Just out here in my neck of Eastern Williamson County (Hutto) we have The Texan Cafe, Mario's, Rio Grande, El Poblanito, Maggiore's, and Hutto Donuts...oops, and Pink Penguin Frozen Yogurt, and Bien Hoa. Down the road in Taylor are a few mom and pop places like Louis Mueller's BBQ, Taylor Cafe, Ed's Place, a small Mexican Grocery Store, a couple of Mexican Restaurants, a German restaurant..
We also have Coupland Inn and Dance Hall, Armadillo Saloon (a copy of Armadillo World Headquarters), Walburg Biergardens and Granger Cotton Club..all of which host musicians that come out of Central Austin.
There's also a Salt Lick in RR

Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
I just got back from the Central Texas Foodies at Mama Roux at I35 and Parmer. Absolutely worth the drive (it's a 45 minute drive one way for me)!

Autumn Fog, try Mount Bonnell, the Oriental Gardens at Zilker Park, the Oasis (though I prefer the Iguana Grill - pretty much as good a view, somewhat better food and margaritas), the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:24 PM

Hula Hut is another cool restaurant to go to on Lake Austin

http://www.hulahut.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin