U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:57 PM

8,613 posts, read 15,393,208 times
Yeah, I WOULD like her to know how to handle her own affairs eventually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 08:46 PM

3,226 posts, read 9,509,867 times
Quote:
They do not have alternate schools for special ed
I should hope not! No where does. Mainstreaming is what people do nowadays. Special ed kids have a right to the same educational experience.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I should hope not! No where does. Mainstreaming is what people do nowadays. Special ed kids have a right to the same educational experience.
Many schools feature alternate education, which is why I said that. Georgetown has two alternate educations options for students. One is GAP, this is a disciplinary program. GISD Schools: Georgetown Alternative Program
This program includes "Behavioral" or Special Education students who have broken rules. They also have the Richarte High School. This school services pregnant young ladies, special education, and at-risk students. GISD Schools: Richarte High School

Hutto does not offer alternate options for Special Education students (disciplinary or not) or pregnant young ladies. River Horse is only available for student who dropped out who now wish to achieve a GED. AEP is off-campus but only available to non-special ed malfactors.

It is more popular in the North where they have dense populations that can support schools only for special education. The advantage to the system is that there are better facilities for those who need them.

I believe they should be segregated, but then, I am biased. Hard not to be once you witness incidents first-hand. Hutto treats their special education students like nobility.

It will never be the same as everyone else.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:25 PM

Please don't confuse special ed with behavorial issues, or other children that may benefit from "alternative" schooling. Special Ed is QUITE different.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:57 AM

8,613 posts, read 15,393,208 times
I posted a question about Hutto High School in my parents group site and I heard that they do offer advanced classes and College Prep (where you get credits to apply towards college). My neighbors daughter was one of those pregnant young ladies, and even if she didn't have a seperate class to attend, still got through and graduated. I do know that they excused her for doctors appointments and such.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Please don't confuse special ed with behavorial issues, or other children that may benefit from "alternative" schooling. Special Ed is QUITE different.
Please do not confuse my point or my words. All Special Ed (Self-contained, "behavioral", remedial, and mainstream) students are on the main campus regardless of behavioral or medical issues, even after infractions. Merely behavioral students, as I mentioned, have alternate options.

Love Roses. I have taken both. However, most people, even after taking these classes find themselves drastically behind in colleges. They have the classes (required by law) but these classes do not prep well. Schools on the west-side are better for this.
Indeed, they will help make allowances for pregnant students. Point was that they are integrated.

Last edited by Pineapples; 02-02-2008 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-02-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
All Special ed (Self-contained, "behavioral", remedial, and mainstream) students are on the main campus regardless of behavioral or medical issues. Merely behavioral students, as I mentioned, have alternate options.
Your "point" is moot and contridicts itself. You said "behavorial" are on the main campus, and then you said they have alternative options. Which is it?

Special ed, as I mentioned, have the right to typical education, like other kids. It's within the state and federal law. In only the most extreme cases, would it be appropriate to school off-site. You may "believe" they should be segregated all you would like, but that belief is ignorant and not based on any current findings or accuracy.

Some education for you... Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy and IDEA - Building The Legacy of IDEA 2004 and AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT OF 199

Quote:
It will never be the same as everyone else.
I missed this comment before - what exactly do you mean by this?

Again, I think you are confusing special eduation (children who need more help because of a disability) with those who have behavorial issues, seperate from a disability. There is a distinction, and not "one size fits all". Children who are able to operate in a typical environment, but may need assistance or an aide, should not be segregated from the school population simply because they are disabled.

Other schools, "up north" as you say - do NOT do it this way.

Last edited by jwb123; 02-02-2008 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-02-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Your "point" is moot and contridicts itself. You said "behavorial" are on the main campus, and then you said they have alternative options. Which is it?

Special ed, as I mentioned, have the right to typical education, like other kids. It's within the state and federal law. In only the most extreme cases, would it be appropriate to school off-site. You may "believe" they should be segregated all you would like, but that belief is ignorant and not based on any current findings or accuracy.

Some education for you... Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy and IDEA - Building The Legacy of IDEA 2004
"Behavioral" as I have defined, is a program at hutto high school for special education students with behavior problems. These students are not taken off campus even after infractions. Merely (note modifier) distrupting students (a.k.a. normal people who get in trouble) are offered alternate education.

Point- Special Education children are on campus and not removed for rule or law violations. Disabilities are in hallways and classrooms, causing some disruptions between and in classrooms.

Thank you for the websites. Interesting read.

IDEA is not required by law. It is optional. States are given funding to participate. "Constitutionality is questionable"
Requirements of FAPE:
1. Is designed to meet the unique needs of that one student
2. Provides “ …access to the general curriculum to meet the challenging expectations established for all children” (that is, it meets the approximate grade-level standards of the state educational agency)
3. Is provided in accordance with the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) as defined in 1414(d)(3).
4. Results in educational benefit to the child.
Neither IEP or FAPE give right of disability student to a attend a normal classroom.

LRE- "Simply put, the LRE is the environment most like that of typical children in which the child with a disability can succeed."
The following must be considered in LRE:
1. the educational benefits of integrated settings versus segregated settings,
2. nonacademic benefits (primarily social interaction with non-disabled peers),
3. the effect the student with a disability can have on the teacher and his or her peers, and
4. the cost of supplementary services that will be required for that student to stay in the integrated setting

Therefore if cons outweigh pros then a student with a disability is not given LRE, by law.

Last edited by Pineapples; 02-02-2008 at 01:05 PM..

Old 02-02-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Disabilities are in hallways and classrooms, causing some disruptions between and in classrooms.
Please define this.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,527 times
I have lived all over Central Tx. for the past 20 years. For the last 2 years, I have been living in Hutto. I love it. I live in Hutto Towne Square and I love my neighbors. I only live 2 blocks from the middle school and one of the elementary schools.

Hutto has it's growing pains but they have been handled beautifully! We are growing in leaps and bounds. The house we purchased here is a 3 bedroom 2 bath new home (built by Capital Pacific Homes) for around $130,000.00 and if we had purchased this in Round Rock it would have run us at least $175,000.00 and in Austin, depending on the neighborhood, up to $300,000.

It is a nice house with lots of amenities such as built-in sprinklers, wood blinds landscaping and other options you don't always get with new homes.

The school system is pretty good (I have a 1st grader). They struggle with some issues, but quickly work to resolve them. Parents seem to be very actively involved. There were some violence issues at the middle school, but I haven't heard much about them lately, so maybe they fixed the problem.

I don't know of a slum area in Hutto. Heck, I've only seen about 4 houses total in the whole area that I would say needed fixing up. People are super friendly. Our neighborhood is racially diverse (although I don't know why this matters), and the kids can play and ride their bikes without too much worry of stranger danger or things like that. Of course most of the kids run around together, so there is safety in numbers.

The toll roads are easily accessible and allow me to run between my job in Georgetown and home for $.45 each way. Not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin