Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,453,069 times

Advertisements

I would think that these people don't go through extensive background checks.
I would even guess a lot of them are from Labor Ready (is tat what it's called here?)

Basically, can you breathe, walk, dig, hammer, and stand hot weather?
Ok, you're hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 08:20 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,589,946 times
Somehow, I think you're probably right. That guy probably just stole the jacket and is using it as a front. I'm sort of glad I live next to the fire station, since there are almost always cops there.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:23 AM

I'm positive that you're right on the money there. He probably just stole the jacket and uses that as a front. Makes me sort of glad I live near the fire station, as there are almost always cops there. Newrrmom is right in some ways about people being irresponsible by leaving young children unattended (although I disagree that it happens more East of 35)..But there are a few kids here that that happens to, and I'm just holding my breath hoping this creep doesn't run off with one of them.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:22 AM

225 posts, read 848,279 times
"although I disagree that it happens more East of 35" never meant for it to come across that way-loveroses--- there are irresponsible parents in every walk of life unfortunately.....
My goal is just to inform people there is a bit of difference in some areas of the E and overall I don't find on W and they can take it with a grain of salt or learn from it, only wanted to share what I learned in my 3 months in a not so hot area on the E. side.
I know there are nice places on the E side, like I have said before, we almost lived in one by Forest Creek, I think that area is very nice. But I just have to share information to make it easier for people wh have no clue, you definitely have to live to know, type thing and that is what the board is here for, I learned a lot on here also, that helped us decide where to live. But honestly the deciding factor was the foundation issue that might arise buying on E. side.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,137,120 times
No, the guy worked for Lennar. The article states that he was a customer care agent and that Lennar fired him.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:41 AM

675 posts, read 1,897,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsoruen View Post
Real estate taxes are quite high as there is no state income tax. You can compare values of house vs property tax as compared your own area.

There has been tremendous growth of shopping centers, restaurants, Walmart, etc, in the area, and if you like to hear the train whistles and the rumbling of trains at night, this is your area. The downtown Hutto area has a flavor of the old west, with buildings right on the sidewalk in the architecture of the time. The traffic east bound from Round Rock has doubled in the last year, and the road consruction has anticipated this growth. Further, there is now a toll bypass near the city, which saves time in the long run, but can mount up.

For those who have never lived in areas that can flood very quickly, Texas is a place where you can lose your kid, if he is not only warned, but also is luck enough to survive. Water sometimes comes up very quickly, and never, ever drive through standing water. The deep gorges through which the rivers run are there even though there is a nice peaceful stream at the bottom.
The first couple of paragraphs are accurate, but this stuff about flooding and losing your kids is extremely melodramatic and silly. I'd say your kid has as much of a chance of dying in a Texas flood as they'd have of dying from a killer tornado if they moved to Kansas. This isn't the 1800s.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:01 PM

Don't let those low slow flowing creeks fool you. 685 closes with heavy rains as Brushy Creek can actually go OVER 685.

Rapid flooding is not something to dismiss.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:18 PM

675 posts, read 1,897,572 times
I know but should they add to their list of pros and cons 'Kid might die in a flood' to the list of cons for Hutto? I don't think so.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:08 PM

I think the outlying areas away from Austin are developing very quickly with subdivision after subdivision and the one lane bridges or the roads that go over creeks are not being updated quick enough to avoid the accidents/flooding that can occur and the newcomers to the area aren't actually being told this when they move in. IMO the developers should be held responsible for updating the roads. The country is turning urban but the roads remain country..that is not a good thing.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:53 PM

It's amazing how high Brushy Creek can get when it floods. I'd like to think that some people have more common sense than it seems they do when it comes to things like that, but I keep seeing they don't. I believe people should be told about low water crossings, but there are always gonna be a few who will still think this doesn't apply to them. I agree with you, HappyTexan, but it smarts a little watching those little country roads disappear into 4 lane highways (Cue my sad music now )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin