Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2010, 06:32 PM

282 posts, read 526,194 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Dripping Springs soon and I keep reading about people having allergy problems in the hill country area. Does anyone know anything about that or experienced any problems with allergies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,942 times
Allergies are bad in all parts of Austin during certain times of the year. Cedar, running December through the end of February is the worst. Some people are affected while others are not. I take a Zyrtec everyday during allergy season, and I am fine. If I don't take my meds, it's not pretty. I wouldn't worry about it. If you get them, you can just take the meds and should be fine.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:09 PM

thankyou!!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:32 PM

351 posts, read 1,431,250 times
I live in Dripping Springs.
My wife and I both experience enhanced sensitivity to allergies living in the hill country compared to central Austin. When we lived in Oak Hill is was not as bad.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 PM

I am just thinking about my husband, sounds like we will need to stock up on the meds!!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Lots of previous threads discuss this at length, here are a few good ones full of helpful information. If your husband already has allergies he should start getting shots for them, they will greatly improve his quality of life but it takes a long time to start seeing the improvement.

Cedar Fever

Cedar Fever: allergy shots effective?

Allergies? Is this spring really bad?

Is It Cedar Fever Season Already :(

This Pollen chart shows when the most common allergies peak in the Austin area.
http://www.centraltexasallergy.com/pollenchart.gif

Can't shake this Austin cold

Ragweed Pollen in Austin...

Old 02-16-2010, 12:19 PM

65 posts, read 179,622 times
I live in San Antonio and am moving to Austin soon. Both cities are equally bad with the cedar pollen from Dec-Feb (this year with all the rain it's more of a Nov-Mar thing).

I had moderate ragweed allergies while living in Phoenix but easily controlled that with Claritin and occasional decongestant. However the cedar season here is killing me... nothing OTC works. Doctor put me on Flonase and Xyzal to start with only a minor improvement. Now we're trying Flonase with Astipro to see how that works.

If you google "Cedar Fever" you can learn a lot about it. It's pretty brutal. Luckily it's only during the winter months that it's really bad. If none of the prescription meds work then my wife and I will seriously consider spending winters in SoCal since we have a lot of friends there, I never had any allergies there, and vacation rentals are so cheap in winter they're almost free!

Old 02-16-2010, 03:16 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,844 times
There are a lot of cedar trees all over the place in Dripping and elsewhere. In the winter I can see the pollen being blown off the cedar trees in the backyard. They get a brownish type pall to them and when a strong wind blows it looks like light smoke. The first time I saw it I thought there was a small brush fire smoldering because it was in the middle of the drought.

We have not noticed any increase in allergies or other issues. I was actually affected more in Dallas when I first started coming to Texas.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:15 PM

Thanks! I guess we just have to see what happens..I am sure it will be fine(hopefully) Thanks for all your responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin