Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,891 times

Advertisements

Hi, so I am originally from Georgia. Lived there my whole life then when I graduated from high school moved to Seattle with my boyfriend to Seattle for school. We are considering moving to either Austin or Houston. We prefer the "south" alot more. Really dont like Seattle/eastside. At first we'll just be renting so any advice on a good but decently priced area for apartments would be nice. But eventually we want to buy a house and raise a family. If you can give me any advice about the two cities that would be awesome. We are really laid back family oriented people. I am a pharmacy tech and my boyfriend is an animator. (so looking for area close to game companies if you know anything about that)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:42 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,805,106 times
if the south is really what you're looking for, then i would definitely recommend houston before austin. but it really depends on what exactly you're looking for

Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 PM

4 posts, read 5,891 times
i am looking for a suburb lifestyle. i eventually plan to be a stay at home mom. I want a place that is good to raise kids.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,789,612 times
The Houston job market will be much bigger in both fields. Austin has game companies and animation studios, but those are coveted jobs here and won't pay nearly as well as in Houston. The energy companies in Houston have a lot of need for 3D work as well. Healthcare pays better there.

If "lifestyle" things like outdoor activities, live music, excercise, scenery (although not comparable to Pac NW) are important... then maybe consider Austin. Also less crime.

You should definitely make a visit, and if you are visiting one city it is easy to see both... and that should help you make a decision.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,805,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambe8910 View Post
i am looking for a suburb lifestyle. i eventually plan to be a stay at home mom. I want a place that is good to raise kids.
well that's just the thing, both houston and austin can offer that, which is really why specifics of what you're looking for would help

as i stated before, houston (in southeast texas) is definitely the more southern city, is much much larger with much more to do; many more suburbs to choose from; more diverse population; more housing diversity...the terrain is very flat; hot and pretty humid summers, cool to mild winters; pretty lush and green (pine forests in the northern half); ocean nearby; from what i know, the most coveted suburbs will be sugar land, katy, and the woodlands/spring

austin, in central texas, is much less southern; a lot smaller with still plenty to do; less diverse population; city core targeted largely towards liberal/hipster crowd...beautiful terrain with rolling to rugged hills; not as green as eastern texas; less humid, still kind of hot, cool/mild winters; proximity to the texas hill country (many quaint towns and even lake resorts); not very familiar with the suburbs, but i believe cedar park and round rock are among the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin