U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 PM

3,737 posts, read 5,314,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
First body found in the office building, according to CNN.
They announced it on the news over an hour ago - it is either the pilot or the missing employee. I feel so bad for that family right now.

My husband's building is on Research close by to the site and I had a moment of panic this morning as I tried to find the address to his building when they were only announcing it as a building in the 9400 block of Research.

Honestly, if the guy wanted to make a statement/be a martyr, he could have gone in to the lobby and shot himself. He still would have gotten the press coverage but wouldn't have to take anyone else with him.

Last edited by Jennibc; 02-18-2010 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,216,486 times
I just wish Joseph Stack would have gone back to California to do it instead of here. Didn't seem like he owed that much money..

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 02-18-2010 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: missing word

Old 02-18-2010, 06:27 PM

2,261 posts, read 2,659,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
I just wish Joseph Stack would have gone back to California to do it instead of here.
What does that mean? Are you saying that the life of a Californian is less valuable than the life of a Texan? I wish he had not done it anywhere.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:31 PM

1,235 posts, read 2,216,058 times
I wonder if this is going to hold up our refunds...

Old 02-18-2010, 06:55 PM

2,082 posts, read 3,792,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriv View Post
wow. A lot of you are treating a nutjob who thought nothing of trying to kill innocent lives as a the one in the "right" in this situation because "taxes are bad"?

It doesn't matter what the hell the guy thought. Right or wrong. The fact that he tried to kill dozens of innocent people to prove a point makes him a homicidal maniac. A pariah to society.

Don't try to justify his reasons. His actions are what matter, and they were f'd up.

Life's f'd up. We all know tax sucks, but it pays for the society we live in. There isn't one aspect of your life that tax payers didn't in some way help or contribute in. Not one. Taxes suck, but you should be proud as an american that your taxes are put to use making your life safe and livable.

It isn't fair? So, what exactly is fair in life? Go cry me a river. Sheesh!

Also, don't you realize you're basically encouraging this type of action? You are encouraging this type of behaviour by doing exactly what the nutjob wanted: Calling attention to his cause.

You know who else does that? Suicide bombers. Good job proving that doing what they do works!
well said!

Old 02-18-2010, 06:56 PM

2,082 posts, read 3,792,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoroughly modern millie View Post
Well lucky for me I live in Europe not that the thieving scumbag government here is any different.
Lucky for you that you live in Europe? Muslim fundamentalists are on the rise in Europe, almost 1/2 of the population in some areas. No thanks, you can stay in Europe, it's going to be far worse there in the future.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 PM

587 posts, read 773,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Lucky for you that you live in Europe? Muslim fundamentalists are on the rise in Europe, almost 1/2 of the population in some areas. No thanks, you can stay in Europe, it's going to be far worse there in the future.
I don't know about that. Do you get all your info from Fox News? Seems like not only does America have to worry about international terrorism but there is enough home grown ones around, not to mention the marginalized, disenfranchised and total nut jobs like the prof in Alabama.

I wouldn't believe everything you hear about Europe

Old 02-18-2010, 07:21 PM

8,312 posts, read 12,895,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoroughly modern millie View Post
I don't know about that. Do you get all your info from Fox News? Seems like not only does America have to worry about international terrorism but there is enough home grown ones around, not to mention the marginalized, disenfranchised and total nut jobs like the prof in Alabama.

I wouldn't believe everything you hear about Europe
Nutjobs and terrorists are two totally different animals, and having lived in Europe recently and traveling back there quite frequently I do recognize that countries such as the UK and France have a lot more to worry about when it comes to domestic terrorism than we do in the US.

As for "Stack's Manifesto," honestly who gives a crap? If he is going to be remembered for anything, it will be as a coward who couldn't live up to his obligations, tried to kill his family and took the weak way out instead of facing his problems like a man. I just pity his poor family who have to rebuild their lives after his idiotic actions.

As for "heroes," I know what they look like as I had the honor of serving with them throughout my 25-year military career. Stack wasn't a hero, he was nowhere close to being one. I am only thankful that he will answer to a higher authority for his decisions...

Old 02-18-2010, 07:44 PM

8,707 posts, read 17,724,249 times
This topic is on-going in Politics and Other Controversies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin