U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-18-2010, 05:59 PM

31 posts, read 74,346 times

Advertisements

I just visited Austin this past weekend to get a feel for the city and see if I could see myself living there. I couldn't stay longer than 2 1/2 days, but I definitely enjoyed the time I spent there.

One thing that did bother me however, was the public transit... more specifically the busses. I was told they only run once an hour on the weekends, which seemed unlikely when I heard it, but after waiting for 45 minutes and deciding to drive to my destination instead, I was inclined to believe it.

If I go through the trouble of moving anywhere, it has to be somewhere that it's not necessary to own a car. How feasable is this in Austin? And how satisfied are those of you who use public transit in Austin?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 PM

12,923 posts, read 13,339,452 times
I think others here will have more to say and be better informed. I think it is POSSIBLE to live in Austin without a car, but it may be frustrating. The buses are really all you have to choose from now. Metro Rail will start in March, but its coverage is limited. You will probably want to live and work in the downtown area so you can walk to the places you need on a daily basis.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:14 PM

580 posts, read 624,880 times
Indeed. Downtown Austin I think is pretty walkable, but anything outside of that gets really spread out really quick. Austin's buses have never been anything to brag about, but hopefully as the city matures, something will be done to improve their schedules. Capital MetroRail should start running this March, but as stated, it's coverage is pretty much restricted to a single line up through Austin out to Cedar Park and Leander. There are a few stops in the city, but maybe not exactly what you're looking for. Hope this helps out just a bit.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,433,887 times
It's possible if you live in or near downtown as others have stated. Unfortunately, it can also be very expensive to live in or near downtown.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 AM

4,334 posts, read 6,598,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverwest.sol View Post
I just visited Austin this past weekend to get a feel for the city and see if I could see myself living there. I couldn't stay longer than 2 1/2 days, but I definitely enjoyed the time I spent there.

One thing that did bother me however, was the public transit... more specifically the busses. I was told they only run once an hour on the weekends, which seemed unlikely when I heard it, but after waiting for 45 minutes and deciding to drive to my destination instead, I was inclined to believe it.

If I go through the trouble of moving anywhere, it has to be somewhere that it's not necessary to own a car. How feasable is this in Austin? And how satisfied are those of you who use public transit in Austin?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
I visited Austin twice with the same plan as you have. I had to make sure the transit, even if it was going to be just a bus was an efficient system. It just wasn't. No matter how much patience I put forward, or excuses I made why transit was as it is there. I just couldn't make it work. Life would very much evolve around a vehicle in Austin. The Metro was just to spread out. There just didn't seem to be that big an interest in the area for timely efficient transit. I knew I would end up suffering for that lack of interest. I knew there was no way I was going to drive all the time in the traffic there. I had so much trouble with the traffic patterns and signage. So I ended up having to say No to Austin. Otherwise the area seemed fine.

I think if you want to live life without complete auto dependence your options are so limited in this country to begin with. Austin looked like a nice area but if your needs can't be met, its better to just accept a place for what it is or forget it. Since transit is a big part of your needs, then you need to be comfortable with the schdules and efficiency of service.

Dallas has put alot of time and effort into their system. If one had to in several areas of that city one could live carless. Bus and extensive Light Rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin