Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 05:18 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Oh you mean the over-priced music scene for indie rock band marathons?

Downtown isn't what I would call vibrant.

College scene is pretty strange and boring.
Over priced music scene? I've seen some of my favorite band in Austin for under $20. The best venues IMO have an average cover charge of about $8-12. Also, I really don't have a problem with people who have different music taste then me, but it's a bit ridiculous to for you to constantly bash indie rock considering you've already proven you know next to nothing about the genre, much less the Austin music scene.

Downtown Austin is still quite a bit more vibrant than Houston and Dallas.

To call a college scene strange and boring is quite and oxymoron. Besides, as a college student who lives and goes to school in Houston, Austin has a MUCH better college scene the Houston and I would presume Dallas as well Although, not to offend any Houstonians, I really am enjoying my time here in Houston.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:23 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,162 times
Why are people so enamored with Austin ? It's like Austin is the standard by which every other city is judged . They must really have some awesome PR people .

Old 02-28-2010, 05:24 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
I guess it is a matter of taste. You can only have so much alcohol.

And fill me in on the Austin music scene. I can't believe I missed out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Over priced music scene? I've seen some of my favorite band in Austin for under $20. The best venues IMO have an average cover charge of about $8-12. Also, I really don't have a problem with people who have different music taste then me, but it's a bit ridiculous to for you to constantly bash indie rock considering you've already proven you know next to nothing about the genre, much less the Austin music scene.

Downtown Austin is still quite a bit more vibrant than Houston and Dallas.

To call a college scene strange and boring is quite and oxymoron. Besides, as a college student who lives and goes to school in Houston, Austin has a MUCH better college scene the Houston and I would presume Dallas as well Although, not to offend any Houstonians, I really am enjoying my time here in Houston.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:37 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
As far as all of this other silly talk of jealousy... I'm not buying it. I don't think any of the people in the cities are jealous of people in the other cities.
Now there's a lot of ignorance and sometimes even arrogance from all areas (if you hear residents of one city saying another city is a dump/pit etc, it's probably ignorance and/or arrogance)... but not jealousy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I dont think any of cities mentioned are jelous of each other. They have are all too different to from each other to really want to be like each other.
I totally agree with the two of you, but I see a few people here often saying that Austin is jealous of Dallas and/or Houston, which is why I posted what my dad's friends from those cities said about Austin being the place to be. I think it's just silly, all around. But it does go to show that there are actually people who already live in those cities who actually WANT to live in Austin instead.

Quote:
You will feel really sad when you move to Austin. And then realize there is far more activities and far more depth in Dallas.
For some people, I'm sure that's true. But after living in Phoenix for 11 years, we're looking for a change from the keeping up with the Joneses in the huge city lifestyle. We want smaller. We want more laid back. We want to care about people themselves, not how much money they make or what kind of car they drive. Those things aren't what life is about (we've had them, we know).

Old 02-28-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I've lived in both cities too and still think it's not enough of a difference to use as the deciding factor, and to do so is silly. If one can tolerate Austin's humidity, they can tolerate Houston's IMO.
Well, it's all a matter of opinion, so it's not like anyone is wrong here. I'm used to the humidity in Houston so it doesn't bother me even though there does seem to be an obvious difference, but that's just me. Like I said before, it's also going to depend where you live in the Houston area. There's quite a difference humidity down by the coast compared to some where like Katy or Cypress.

Quote:
As far as all of this other silly talk of jealousy... I'm not buying it. I don't think any of the people in the cities are jealous of people in the other cities.
Now there's a lot of ignorance and sometimes even arrogance from all areas (if you hear residents of one city saying another city is a dump/pit etc, it's probably ignorance and/or arrogance)... but not jealousy.
I would say in real life you would be right. There are a lot of things me and my friends love about Austin that aren't very prevalent in any other Texas city, but I wouldn't go as far as to say we're "jealous" of Austin. Houston has quite a bit to offer, even for my age group. Besides, I don't see how any rational person could be jealous of a city that's only 3 hours away. If you want the aspects offered by Austin or Houston, just take several weekend trips. The cities really are not that far apart.

BUT, in the C-D world, there are OBVIOUSLY people who are jealous about other cities for various reasons (like the media attention Austin [arguably] receives over any other Texas city for example) and expresses their jealousy by trolling or bashing certain cities. It's quite sad to be honest that some people would rather spend their time bashing and trolling about a city online instead of trying to truly understand the great aspects the place has to offer and why people love living in or visiting the area.

Last edited by wpmeads; 02-28-2010 at 05:57 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I guess it is a matter of taste. You can only have so much alcohol.

And fill me in on the Austin music scene. I can't believe I missed out!!!
Well what do you want to know? That's quite generic question with a loaded answer.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:57 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,854 times
From a future transplant's perspective:
Houston- Never been. I hear it's basically is a dump and similar to LA (just what some people said to me that lived there).
Dallas- Did not care for it at all. It was really spread out, and just seemed very institutionalized.
Austin- The right size for me. Not a huge city,but has many things I am looking for in a city. Only downfalls is I don't think it has much variety as far as restaurants go (I read Yelp and all that), and it sucks that a lot of international flights are out of Dallas and not Austin.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
and it sucks that a lot of international flights are out of Dallas and not Austin.
Ya but Dallas is way bigger and is a lot more of an international city then austin is

Old 03-01-2010, 12:53 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
From a future transplant's perspective:
Houston- Never been. I hear it's basically is a dump and similar to LA (just what some people said to me that lived there).
Dallas- Did not care for it at all. It was really spread out, and just seemed very institutionalized.
Austin- The right size for me. Not a huge city,but has many things I am looking for in a city. Only downfalls is I don't think it has much variety as far as restaurants go (I read Yelp and all that), and it sucks that a lot of international flights are out of Dallas and not Austin.
For those of you not from California, Naomi is echoing the general perception of Texas cities out there. People think Houston is a toilet and people seem to think Dallas is an overglorified Oklahoma City.

Im surprised you think Dallas is spread out. Lord knows LA is much moreso.

And Radical_Car is right. The reasons Dallas has the international flights and Austin doesnt:

1) Demand. The DFW are has a very large international market to other countries. Austin really doesnt. Not to say there arent people traveling to Austin from other countries, but the number is a fraction of what DFW gets.

2) Economy size. Houston makes up 33% of Texas' total economy, DFW makes up 32%, I want to say Austin makes up somewhere around 8%. With a bigger economy comes more demand for flights.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
For those of you not from California, Naomi is echoing the general perception of Texas cities out there. People think Houston is a toilet and people seem to think Dallas is an overglorified Oklahoma City.

Im surprised you think Dallas is spread out. Lord knows LA is much moreso.

And Radical_Car is right. The reasons Dallas has the international flights and Austin doesnt:

1) Demand. The DFW are has a very large international market to other countries. Austin really doesnt. Not to say there arent people traveling to Austin from other countries, but the number is a fraction of what DFW gets.

2) Economy size. Houston makes up 33% of Texas' total economy, DFW makes up 32%, I want to say Austin makes up somewhere around 8%. With a bigger economy comes more demand for flights.
I stated I have never been to Houston. I actually dated a guy who was raised in Houston, went to college in Dallas, and now lives in Austin. He hated Houston, and a few people described it in the way I mentioned.

I hate how spread out LA is. Dallas was spread out too. I am trying to get away from that super spread out kind of city, which is why Austin was a good size for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin