Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of gay people such as myself tend to think of Austin as this oasis where we can live without reprisal from the bigots, but unfortunately crime can happen anywhere....

Men claim attack was a "Hate Crime" | KXAN.COM

I will be interested in hearing how this story plays out, and what the assailants will say if they are ever caught by the APD.

Just a really really sad situation.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:23 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
How is Austin an oasis for gay people? lol
It has gay bars like any other major city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I know a lot of gay people such as myself tend to think of Austin as this oasis where we can live without reprisal from the bigots, but unfortunately crime can happen anywhere....

Men claim attack was a "Hate Crime" | KXAN.COM

I will be interested in hearing how this story plays out, and what the assailants will say if they are ever caught by the APD.

Just a really really sad situation.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
This is still Texas. A very conservative state.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
So? People attacking you from behind and calling you a f*g is just par for the course in a state with a bunch of conservatives?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:32 AM

170 posts, read 826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Does that make it okay?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickasarbata View Post
Does that make it okay?
hmm. If you want an interesting little pass time, just check back on this thread in a few days. You will find many posters who will say just that.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 02-23-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 11:37 AM

938 posts, read 1,230,499 times
PEOPLE get attacked all the time in Texas. what makes gays any different?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:43 AM

197 posts, read 612,791 times
I always get a kick out of how when black people attack white people, it is an "alleged attack," but if a white person gets into a fight with a black person, it is a 'hate crime."

Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 AM

680 posts, read 1,383,951 times
This definitely sounds like a hate crime and I'm sad to say that it's not at all surprising. In any town that has a large youthful population of people getting liquored-up and roaming about in drunken packs, you're going to see stuff like this happening.

There are racial attacks on Sixth Street all the time, and it's every race attacking every other race. If you're different from some drunk boys and you're wandering around downtown at night near a group of them, you're taking a risk of a beat-down. I detest such punks and hope they get caught and have the book thrown at them. They don't deserve to walk the streets as free men when they're nothing more than ignorant savage jerks.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
PEOPLE get attacked all the time in Texas. what makes gays any different?
No one said it was any different? I just said that it was sad that someone got attacked, especially for such a stupid reason.

What makes it any different then when a woman is attacked? Or a child? Or the elderly? Nothing really. Except that if an elderly person was attacked by someone screaming "you old geezer" then you probably wouldn't have bothered to post online "people get attacked all the time, what's the big deal if they are old". You would have sympathy for an old person who was beat up for walking down the street. You would have sympathy for a child who was attacked just for being a child. So I guess to answer your question, the only difference really is you dont see it as a big deal when it happens to a gay person. I guess the difference lies with you.

It takes a lot of hate and bigotry to attack a person 2 on one, for no reason other than that they are gay. When someone is robbed, it is sad, but at least you can wrap your head around it. There was a motivation. Some lowlife scum needed money so they went and attacked someone and robbed them. You can frame it in your mind and make sense of it, while still condemning the crime. But these guys weren't robbed. There was no reason for this violence. That's what makes it doubly sad, for me at least.

But hey, I will try to keep my dissapointment to myself. I know how irritating it is to the straights when us gay people speak up and try to defend ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: