Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:57 AM

174 posts, read 499,824 times

Advertisements

Austin..Texas living at California's prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 11:38 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,106,083 times
Quote:
More ethnic restaurants (better Thai food, more Vietnamese--Houston kills in this department--, some Asian fusion maybe? some Persian food, more than one Ethiopian restaurant, more sushi than Uchi, GOOD Italian food, yes to delis!--I saw Anthony Bourdain eat a pastrami sandwich in a restaurant in NYC and felt my mouth water)
Not to say that we have more than enough or can even remotely match Houston, but we do have a good selection of Vietnamese restaurants (Sea Dragon, Tam Deli, all the various pho and banh mi joints). Shandeez Grill and Alborz serve Persian food. And we have three Ethiopian joints (Taste of Ethiopia, Aster's, and Karibu). We're crawling with sushi places, but the good ones are Tomo and Musashino.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:22 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,025,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
Austin..Texas living at California's prices
I am guessing it's been a while since you've tried leasing an apartment in CA...unless you are talking about Modesto or some place like that.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:06 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,776,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
We've been here two years and are FINALLY getting some attractive birds around our feeder. I'll agree, most of them are not pretty to watch. The hawks are pretty cool, though . I do miss the cardinals and woodpeckers.
I saw a cardinal just this morning, in my backyard in the city, and I've seen them fairly often. I see woodpeckers in our trees frequently, along with finches and other birds besides grackles. We have a pretty decent variety. I don't have a feeder out, they just came on their own. Maybe my neighbors do.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:12 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,776,417 times
Quote:
We've been here two years and are FINALLY getting some attractive birds around our feeder. I do miss the cardinals and woodpeckers.
Really? I saw a cardinal just this morning, in my backyard in the city, and I've seen them fairly often. I also see woodpeckers in our trees frequently.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:34 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,063,245 times
Quote:
We've been here two years and are FINALLY getting some attractive birds around our feeder. I'll agree, most of them are not pretty to watch. The hawks are pretty cool, though . I do miss the cardinals and woodpeckers.
You may be feeding the wrong food for what you want to see. Cardinals like sunflower seeds best. And they prefer a yard with shelter. If your feeder is in the middle of a wide-open yard, many birds may stay away from a location that is seed to make them vulnerable. Also, woodpeckers are not really bird feeder birds. You may get them with the right set up, feeding suet, but they are not seed eaters. Texas in general is good birding territory, although you see more diversity along the coast.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
You may be feeding the wrong food for what you want to see. Cardinals like sunflower seeds best. And they prefer a yard with shelter. If your feeder is in the middle of a wide-open yard, many birds may stay away from a location that is seed to make them vulnerable. Also, woodpeckers are not really bird feeder birds. You may get them with the right set up, feeding suet, but they are not seed eaters. Texas in general is good birding territory, although you see more diversity along the coast.
Or on our place, a bit north of Georgetown, which is in a major migration pattern and where we see everything from cardinals to red-wing blackbirds to Whooping Cranes to pelicans to Harris Hawks and Red Tail Hawks to yellow-bellied sapsuckers to Mockingbirds to cliff swallows to birds I can't even identify.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:04 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,063,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Or on our place, a bit north of Georgetown, which is in a major migration pattern and where we see everything from cardinals to red-wing blackbirds to Whooping Cranes to pelicans to Harris Hawks and Red Tail Hawks to yellow-bellied sapsuckers to Mockingbirds to cliff swallows to birds I can't even identify.
Yes, also along the flyway.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:00 AM

73 posts, read 217,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
Not to say that we have more than enough or can even remotely match Houston, but we do have a good selection of Vietnamese restaurants (Sea Dragon, Tam Deli, all the various pho and banh mi joints). Shandeez Grill and Alborz serve Persian food. And we have three Ethiopian joints (Taste of Ethiopia, Aster's, and Karibu). We're crawling with sushi places, but the good ones are Tomo and Musashino.
I have to agree on Musashino. It's more affordable than Uchi and almost as good in my opinion. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. It's a little hard to find if you don't know where you are going since it is housed beneath a so-so Chinese restaurant.

Also, as far as Delis how about Fricano's in Hyde Park. Yum!

Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Our feeder is 'fairly' out in the open(needs to be away from launching pads for squirrels), so perhaps I can reposition it. We're using a 'Birder's Blend' feed that is primarily black sunflower seeds. In Atlanta, I used a 'Songbird Blend' that smelled GREAT because it contained black cherries...yum-o!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin