Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:13 PM

515 posts, read 1,393,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
There are plenty of stores in Austin to fill in for the lack of Trader Joe's.

Whole Foods
Sun Harvest
Sprouts
Natural Grocers
Wheatsville Coop
HEB
I'm guessing you haven't been to a Trader Joe's then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 09:30 PM

97 posts, read 198,813 times
jobs..
jobs..
jobs..

Old 02-24-2010, 09:41 PM

132 posts, read 495,512 times
I'll add that we don't have as many native Austinites as we do foreigners a.k.a. out-of-staters.

We don't have mountains.

Thankfully, we don't have a pro football, baseball, or basketball team.

What else?

D

Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,517,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
- Basements
- Trader Joe's
- Good pizza
- Delis
- Bagel shops
- Good or efficient public transportation

Please feel free to add your own. Maybe if we have one post, people won't keep asking the same questions.
I agree with most of the items on this list, but I would argue that Austin does have good pizza restaurants and delis, though they are obviously not nearly as widespread and as good as the ones on the East Coast. Home Slice Pizza is the closest I've gotten to New York-style pizza in Austin. Little Deli is also a pretty good deli restaurant (owned and run by a New Jersey ex-pat).

I would add to the list that Austin doesn't have real snow in the winter time. (Sorry - that snow we got earlier this week doesn't count).

I used to think that Austin didn't have any decent non-expensive seafood restaurants until I discovered Quality Seafood, which is now in my top 5 favorite restaurants in Austin.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:19 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,644,416 times
Great post and all are on target-- but I think there is a good pizza. Tony C's is tops but I haven't been to Homeslice. I also had a good experience at Brick Oven on 35th. (and I lived in NYC so I have some benchmark to use in comparison).

Old 02-25-2010, 07:41 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,258,911 times
*More than one interstate highway
*An efficient highway network
*A city that cares about citizens who aren't rich
* A city that cares about smart growth and infastructure management
*Any decent shopping
*A bus system that isn't known throughout the country as a "complete failure"
* Amusement/Adventure parks
* Professional Sports Teams
* A reasonable cost of living
* Mountains (hillbilly country doesn't count)
* Beach
* Kind, caring, down to earth people
* Musical bands that actually amount to something
* Something more to do than get drunk on 6th street
* An overall population that ISN'T jealous of Dallas and Houston
* New office buildings
* CARS!!!

ok people, i'll stop there.....yes, I would also agree with the trader joes thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
- Basements
- Trader Joe's
- Good pizza
- Delis
- Bagel shops
- Good or efficient public transportation

Please feel free to add your own. Maybe if we have one post, people won't keep asking the same questions.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:38 AM

938 posts, read 1,227,516 times
One thing Austin definitely doesn't have is whiny annoying people so please don't break the trend.

And if you want a good huge slice of pizza, hit the Onion on 5th street.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:45 AM

680 posts, read 1,380,309 times
* Parks that receive proper care and maintenance (check out Pease Park during a dry summer)
* A decent botanical garden, not just the cute one under the roar of Mopac
* A state university that recognizes the existence of the surrounding city and integrates with locals
* A state government that doesn't despise its host city
* Pedestrian and bike-friendly streets
* Sidewalks that aren't right next to heavily-trafficked lanes of drivers doing 45MPH
* More trees in sprawling parking lots where cars turn to pizza ovens during summer days
* Cars equipped with pizza-making equipment so that you have lunch ready when you get back in your car on summer days
* Someplace to escape heat that's closer than Cloudcroft or Ruidoso, New Mexico
* Intelligence in controlling sprawl until infrastructure is able to handle it
* Safer highways instead of the death traps leading out of the city (71 and 290, both east and west)
* An amphitheater for large outdoor performing arts (ala Hollywood Bowl or Berkeley's Greek Theatre)
* An end to subsidies for out-of-town businesses relocating to Austin while local businesses are ignored by the city
* Enjoyable small business districts that aren't on major thoroughfares (the Domain doesn't count with its outdoor muzak and corporate chain stores... too 1984 and too elitist.)

Old 02-25-2010, 09:26 AM

7,996 posts, read 10,359,015 times
OK. I have to disagree with some of these. I'm a Philly transplant, and although some pizza here is good (Tony C's, Saccone's, Reale's), it's not as good, in my opinion.

Delis - nope, still don't have any authentic, good delis that cure their own meats, etc. Sorry.

And Einstein Bagels? Seriously? They're a chain. That's like saying Burger King is a great burger. Good in a pinch maybe, but not great by any means.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:26 AM

42 posts, read 132,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
One thing Austin definitely doesn't have is whiny annoying people so please don't break the trend.
I LOVE this! We can't wait to move to Austin to get AWAY from the whiny annoying people who suffer from an exaggerated sense of entitlement. Thanks 4Horsemen for reminding those who suffer from such an ailment that Austin is not for them!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin