Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 06:44 AM

979 posts, read 2,947,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
love it or hate it. It is funny to see how many threads come down to Trader Joe's arguments. You have to admit that any store that has this fanatic responses must have something going for it. Not too many other brands have that response.
Once Austin finally gets a Trader Joe's, this forum is going to have nothing to talk about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 07:10 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,552,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post
Once Austin finally gets a Trader Joe's, this forum is going to have nothing to talk about.
Nahhh. It will just change to "Why doesn't the Austin Trader Joe's have my organic dried lima bean frozen protein shake like the Seattle Trader Joes has?" Or "The 12 pound chunks of chocolate at the register of the Austin Trader Joe's doesn't have as many peanuts in them as my old Trader Joe's." Or "Why does 2 buck Chuck cost $3.24 in Austin?"

Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 AM

587 posts, read 1,415,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
In & Out Burger
Now THAT'S some good eating and something I don't see Austin ever getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGuy View Post

I've been in them, and they're ok, but honestly nothing that I actually miss. Now In N Out Burger? That I miss.

My biggest memory regarding Trader Joes is that one time a coworker brought back some vodka-filled chocolate truffles from there as a treat around Christmas and we all had some after lunch. I had two of these little treats and didn't get much done the rest of the day...

Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,256,211 times
Why don't we change this post to "things that Austin DOES have" The list would be SO much shorter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
- Basements
- Trader Joe's
- Good pizza
- Delis
- Bagel shops
- Good or efficient public transportation

Please feel free to add your own. Maybe if we have one post, people won't keep asking the same questions.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:44 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,220,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Why don't we change this post to "things that Austin DOES have" The list would be SO much shorter!
You really don't get out much, do you?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:58 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,072,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Sorry, but the "You aren't buying anything you can really use" statement applies to 90% of what you'll buy at a regular grocery store, like HEB, Kroger, and yes even Food Town or Fiesta. No one is walking into those stores buying just milk, flour, and butter. We are all buying mostly stuff we don't really need, it's just at TJ's they don't rip you off. And many people recognize and appreciate that...
Say's who???

How do you feel ripped off at HEB??

Old 02-26-2010, 08:26 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,044,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Now THAT'S some good eating and something I don't see Austin ever getting.

I've been in them, and they're ok, but honestly nothing that I actually miss. Now In N Out Burger? That I miss.
Well, you never know. They are slowly creeping this way. Last I heard, they had one in Arizona.

I know a lot of folks got excited when Carl's JR opened up in Cedar Park last year. I think a lot of those folks in those long lines were California natives.

In & Out would do REALLY well out here. Hopefully they make it out here!

Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 AM

428 posts, read 1,060,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
Well, you never know. They are slowly creeping this way. Last I heard, they had one in Arizona.

I know a lot of folks got excited when Carl's JR opened up in Cedar Park last year. I think a lot of those folks in those long lines were California natives.

In & Out would do REALLY well out here. Hopefully they make it out here!
They have at least two in AZ last I checked. And, I like Carl's Jr, also, but would NEVER sit in a long line for it. Then again, when they had lines around the block for the In n Out in Goodyear, AZ we waited about a month before we went anywhere near it. Sitting in line for more than ten minutes for a burger, no matter how good, seems a little silly to me.

Another thing I noticed was the In n Out's in AZ aren't as good as the ones in Cali. Not really sure why, but have heard a theory that the uber dry climate sucks all the flavor out of the produce, potatoes and beef long before it's ever cooked.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:47 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,031,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Yeah, I don't get it either. I think the wine section is cool, but that's about it. Trader Joe's just seems like a place for people who can't really cook, or are too lazy to. It's mostly full of sauces, freeze-dried and frozen stuffs. Preeety lame. I love making sauces myself and I like my fresh fruits and vegetables.
Clearly you have no kids Preparenthood I wouldn't have dreamed of using a jarred marinade or sauce - everything was from scratch. Now, I yearn for TJ's curry simmer sauces. We don't have Thai style food at home any more. But I digress and risk turning this into a TJs yearning thread.....

Old 02-26-2010, 08:52 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,031,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
we aren't whining... in fact I even said what great things Austin has. No place is perfect. What we can do less with is people with bad attitudes claiming we are whining.
Repped you too recently. consider this your rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin