U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:18 PM

2,297 posts, read 2,957,074 times
Cool Things that Austin Doesn't Have (so don't ask)

- Basements
- Trader Joe's
- Good pizza
- Delis
- Bagel shops
- Good or efficient public transportation

Please feel free to add your own. Maybe if we have one post, people won't keep asking the same questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 05:33 PM

587 posts, read 823,319 times
Maybe it should get sticky'd to the top?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM

774 posts, read 1,870,281 times
Basements and Trader Joe's, sure, the others are subjective, based on individual taste and preference. I'd mention the merchants that ply those trades in Austin but Google is everyone's friend....

Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 PM

2,368 posts, read 3,391,590 times
I had a very hard time finding a chinese restaurant when I was in Austin. Finally found a place on far N Lamar. I was surprised it took us so long, my GPS didn't help much. They are on every corner in S.A.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:26 PM

961 posts, read 1,841,797 times
I would add:

- Affordable, cute, safe, walkable for all daily needs, central neighborhoods

Since that is what every new poster here seems to be looking for.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:44 PM

2,071 posts, read 3,720,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
- Basements
- Trader Joe's
- Good pizza
- Delis
- Bagel shops
- Good or efficient public transportation

Please feel free to add your own. Maybe if we have one post, people won't keep asking the same questions.
Trader Joe's, yeah totally. I miss it. It's the best.

Good pizza, sorry on that one. Home Slice and Mangieri's are the best.

Delis - have to agree with that one.

Bagel shops - I do like Einstein's, do we really need a ton of bagel shops in this economy?

Public transportation - don't use it, but the rail is going forward and there are buses.

I'd add enough activities for kids. The Children's Museum is SAD. I feel like I need to be fully disinfected everytime I visit. Geez, build a decent museum for the kids.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:58 PM

802 posts, read 1,169,306 times
There are plenty of stores in Austin to fill in for the lack of Trader Joe's.

Whole Foods
Sun Harvest
Sprouts
Natural Grocers
Wheatsville Coop
HEB

Old 02-24-2010, 07:33 PM

1,886 posts, read 3,609,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post

Whole Foods
Sun Harvest
Sprouts
Natural Grocers
Wheatsville Coop
HEB
unfortunately no....

Old 02-24-2010, 07:51 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,020,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post

Whole Foods
Sun Harvest
Sprouts
Natural Grocers
Wheatsville Coop
HEB

I got one for you guys - Snow (as in feet)......

Lived in Pfluggerville for 18 years (class of 80) - it was hot 9 months out of the year (one year went swimming at Barton Springs the day after thanksgiving). In January snow flakes fell, people would immediately panic and go to the local HEB and stock up expecting a winter storm.

Reminds me of a story - A Texan Moves North

Living in up north

January 10th:
It's 5:00pm and it's starting to snow. The first of the season and the first one we've seen in years. The wife and I took our hot buttered rum and sat by the picture window watching the soft flakes drift down, cling to the trees and cover the ground. It was beautiful.

January 11th:
We woke to a lovely blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight. Every tree and shrub covered with a beautiful mantle. I shoveled snow for the first time in my life and loved it. I did both driveway and sidewalk. Later, a snowplow came along and accidentally covered up the driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver waved and smiled. I waved back and shoveled again.

January 12th:
It snowed an additional 5 inches last night and the temperature has dropped to 11 degrees. Several tree limbs have snapped from the snow. I shoveled the drive again. Afterward, the snowplow came again. Now the snow is brownish-gray.

January 13th:
It warmed enough today to cause slush which froze again when the temperature dropped. Bought snow tires for both cars. Fell on my azz in the driveway, $145.00 to the chiropractor. Nothing broken. More snow.

January 14th:
Still cold as hell. Sold the wife's car. Bought a 4x4 to get her to work. Slid into a guardrail anyway with considerable damage. Another 8 inches of snow last night. Both vehicles covered with salt and crud. More shoveling for me. The godd0m snowplow came twice today. Grr!!

January 15th:
It's 8 freaking degrees outside. More freaking snow. Not a tree on our property that hasn't been damaged. Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a kerosene heater, which tipped over and nearly burned the dam house down. Managed to put out the flames, but suffered 2nd degree burns on my hands plus lost all my eyelashes and eyebrows. Car slid off the road on the way to the emergency room, and totaled it.

January 16th:
More goddxm white sh.it keeps coming down. Have to put on all the clothes we own just to get to the freaking mailbox. If I ever catch the son-of-a-bleep who drives that godforsaken snowplow, I'll tear open his chest and rip his heart out. I think he hides around the corner till after I've shoveled. Power is still off. Toilet froze. Roof has started to cave in.

January 17th:
Six more inches of this white crap and sleet and no telling what the hell else will happen. I wounded the snowplow azzhole with an ice ax, but he got away. Wife left me. The car won't start. I think I'm going snow-blind. I can't feel my dam toes, and I haven't seen the sun in weeks and more dam snow forecast. Wind chill is 22 below.

D.mmit, I'm moving back to Texas!

No place like Texas.......

Old 02-24-2010, 09:08 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,806,908 times
- good pizza?

Sorry dude, that's not true. I'm a New Yorker, I know good pizza and Reale's is damn good New York pizza. The owner comes from Little Italy, the Bronx. That's as real as it gets.

I'll add--

-- an aquarium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin