U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Pflugerville
2,213 posts, read 2,523,887 times
Reputation: 2175

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
OK, this might not be received well, but that little disclaimer about "I really don't tolerate ignorance very well" seems odd in the context of the question. As others have mentioned, to imagine that racism doesn't still exist _everywhere_ is, I have to say, is in and of itself ignorant.

That said, I would agree with others in that in general Austinites are generally not overtly racist. Of course a lot depends on what part of town you're in which will determine exactly which group is being racist and which group is the target of their racism.

And JayBrown, it does matter if 20000 people in Texas (i.e. not in Austin) are racist if you ever plan on exploring outside of Austin, who wants to live in a city where you don't feel comfortable leaving the city? Do you really want to feel stressed if you have to stop for gas in some small town on the way to Enchanted Rock or some other close but outside any city limits destination.
not really, b/c racism exists in rural areas everywhere. If the OP is the type of person that doesnt' want to ever experience racism, then she already avoids non urban areas. The rural parts of Maine, New York and Washington are just as intolerant and racist as the rule parts of Texas. This is not a texas issue. It's a rural issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2010, 07:48 PM
 
958 posts, read 1,192,217 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
not really, b/c racism exists in rural areas everywhere. If the OP is the type of person that doesnt' want to ever experience racism, then she already avoids non urban areas. The rural parts of Maine, New York and Washington are just as intolerant and racist as the rule parts of Texas. This is not a texas issue. It's a rural issue.
I think you missed my point. I never claimed that other rural areas didn't have racism (I would have thought that obvious by my very first statement that said that racism existed _everywhere_). Rather, that your statement implied that it was "ok" if there were racist folks in Tx if they were primarily not in Austin proper. I was just commenting that it did matter even if that, admittedly hypothetical, statement was true. It's not a Tx issue, it's not even a rural issue, it's a people issue, which is why it's everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asena
You will find racism where ever you go,as long as you look for it.
Unfortunately sometimes it finds you even if you're not looking for it. And you can probably replace "sometimes" with "inevitably". Though I do agree that many actively seek it out and are therefore more likely to run into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Pflugerville
2,213 posts, read 2,523,887 times
Reputation: 2175
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I think you missed my point. I never claimed that other rural areas didn't have racism (I would have thought that obvious by my very first statement that said that racism existed _everywhere_). Rather, that your statement implied that it was "ok" if there were racist folks in Tx if they were primarily not in Austin proper. I was just commenting that it did matter even if that, admittedly hypothetical, statement was true. It's not a Tx issue, it's not even a rural issue, it's a people issue, which is why it's everywhere.



Unfortunately sometimes it finds you even if you're not looking for it. And you can probably replace "sometimes" with "inevitably". Though I do agree that many actively seek it out and are therefore more likely to run into it.

Sigh. There is no point in arguing semantics with you, when we basically agree. I in no way said that racism was okay amongst rural people. It was not implied or explicit. In anyway. Whatsoever. *rolls eyes*

We both agree racism exists. We both agree is is less apparent in urban areas. I am working from the assumption that the OP is not going to venture far from Austin anyway, you are not. Potato, Puh-tato. Whatever. If the OP is so irritated by racism, she probably doesn't venture far from the city she currently lives in.

But thank you so much for claifying the point that racism is bad. You are right, most people don't know that, and we need you to point it out to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 PM
 
958 posts, read 1,192,217 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Sigh. There is no point in arguing semantics with you, when we basically agree. I in no way said that racism was okay amongst rural people. It was not implied or explicit. In anyway. Whatsoever. *rolls eyes*

We both agree racism exists. We both agree is is less apparent in urban areas. I am working from the assumption that the OP is not going to venture far from Austin anyway, you are not. Potato, Puh-tato. Whatever. If the OP is so irritated by racism, she probably doesn't venture far from the city she currently lives in.

But thank you so much for claifying the point that racism is bad. You are right, most people don't know that, and we need you to point it out to us.
Well condescension aside, _you_ did ask:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
If you live in Austin does it matter if 20,000 people in Texas are racist?
All I did was answer and say "yes, it does matter".

And yes, even though I did quote "ok", I should have used the phrase "that it didn't matter" since "ok" could imply that you were condoning it and it was obvious by your post that you were not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 11:56 AM
 
Location: OUTTA SIGHT!
3,025 posts, read 1,323,234 times
Reputation: 1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfemale View Post
I have an opportunity to relocate to Austin, however, I'm not sure because I've heard that racism still exists in Texas. I really don't tolerate ignorance very well.

If you live in Austin, do you mind giving me your perspective?

Thanks.
Just don't let the sun set on you outside the city limits.
(cue spooky theremin music)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 PM
 
634 posts, read 845,440 times
Reputation: 680
Racism exists in the mind and is therefore propagated through human beings and their resultant thoughts and behaviors. There is no place safe from the vice grip of ignorance. Racism is dumb and there are dumb people everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Cedar Park, TX
580 posts, read 625,174 times
Reputation: 373
As most people have already mentioned here, the sad fact of the matter is that you'll find small-mindedness wherever you go. I understand that many people think that Texas is full of racists; sadly, in a handful of places, they may be right. But Austin is not one of those places. Overall, people are pretty chill and accepting of most kinds of people. I can't speak for the occasional bigot you might run into, but you'll find those types everywhere. Austin's about as open a city as any you're likely to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,520 posts, read 23,028,763 times
Reputation: 12826
Not really. There are people who like to play the "race" card rather than taking personal responsibility and they tend to look for, and see, racism not only where it actually exists but everywhere that they don't get their own way 24/7 or whenever they're called on things that have nothing whatsoever to do with race - it's their excuse for anything not going their way. So, if referring to those spec ific people, and I took it that way, not such an idiotic statement at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 06:12 PM
 
Location: OUTTA SIGHT!
3,025 posts, read 1,323,234 times
Reputation: 1899
I agree, to an extent, but the whole 'every-place-is-the-same-deep-down' type argument
kinda negates the point of these City Data forums don't you think?

I mean, if every place is essentially the same because people
are people and yadda yadda yadda... then why come online and
ask about different places to begin with?

Or come online to talk about what makes your place different than the next?


You know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 06:34 PM
 
5 posts, read 7,113 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not really. There are people who like to play the "race" card rather than taking personal responsibility and they tend to look for, and see, racism not only where it actually exists but everywhere that they don't get their own way 24/7 or whenever they're called on things that have nothing whatsoever to do with race - it's their excuse for anything not going their way. So, if referring to those spec ific people, and I took it that way, not such an idiotic statement at all.

While there are people like that, statements like asena's trivialize what it is like to live day to day as a minority and that can be anyone who doesn't fit the stat quo: transgendered, Black, disabled, Mexican, butch les, fat. Like the poster before me stated, it is without a doubt you will be treated differently and that is whether you go 'looking' for it or not. And if people have to live with the threat of being treated less than everyday, of course some are going to be hypersenstive about being mistreated. And if someone hasn't been in those shoes, it's really not their place to tell someone else who lives it everyday that you are looking for it. No one gets up looking for that bull.

Anyhoo, I was wondering about this myself. I am a mixed race female from Indianapolis who was thinking about making the move to Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:36 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top