U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:57 AM

4,062 posts, read 4,858,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Are you kidding? Allandale and its residents have never been as you describe. Vagrants wandering the streets? Please.
I 've lived in Allandale for almost 5 years and it can be a mixed bag at times. It is a very stable, middle class neighborhood for the most part but it can be seedy in very select areas. For example, there is a group of loiterers by the CVS at Burnet and N. Loop and word in the neighborhood is that they sneak in back of the Savers and smoke crack. I have seen the police questioning them several times and they do "wander" through the neighborhood looking stony-faced and strung out. There was also a roving woman who stole packages from people in my complex, and tried to sell them back to the intended recipients. We also get plenty of dumpster divers here.

Graffiti pops up at times too-- When the old Antiques Marketplace (where the new yuppie apartment building is) was standing empty, it attracted all kinds of late night activity and eventually ended up absolutely covered in graffiti.

Capcat, maybe you're more familiar with the neighborhood surrounding and to the west of Shoal Creek. Regardless, I'd rather live here than anywhere else in town. I love it here.

Last edited by brattpowered; 03-07-2010 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 11:14 AM

4,373 posts, read 2,845,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I live in Allandale and it can be a mixed bag at times. It is a very stable, middle class neighborhood for the most part but it can be seedy in very select areas. For example, there is a group of loiterers by the CVS at Burnet and N. Loop and word in the neighborhood is that they sneak in back of the Savers and smoke crack. I have seen the police questioning them several times and they do "wander" through the neighborhood looking stony-faced and strung out. There was also a roving woman who stole packages from people in my complex, and tried to sell them back to the intended recipients. We also get plenty of dumpster divers here.
Maybe that's what it was, but something about that area just rubbed me the wrong way. I also looked at a home near the park and between Allandale and Rosedale. Of course, the prices are a lot less than areas immediately west, so I guess everything is a compromise.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:34 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,605,865 times
Okay, let's pretend that Allandale isn't overpriced.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:35 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,605,865 times
Quote:
I 've lived in Allandale for almost 5 years and it can be a mixed bag at times. It is a very stable, middle class neighborhood for the most part but it can be seedy in very select areas. For example, there is a group of loiterers by the CVS at Burnet and N. Loop and word in the neighborhood is that they sneak in back of the Savers and smoke crack. I have seen the police questioning them several times and they do "wander" through the neighborhood looking stony-faced and strung out. There was also a roving woman who stole packages from people in my complex, and tried to sell them back to the intended recipients. We also get plenty of dumpster divers here.

Graffiti pops up at times too-- When the old Antiques Marketplace (where the new yuppie apartment building is) was standing empty, it attracted all kinds of late night activity and eventually ended up absolutely covered in graffiti.

Capcat, maybe you're more familiar with the neighborhood surrounding and to the west of Shoal Creek. Regardless, I'd rather live here than anywhere else in town. I love it here.
That's exactly what I was talking about. I think Allandale is a good place to live, but some people that live there want to pretend that this doesn't occur.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:37 AM

15,962 posts, read 21,030,736 times
I don't think anybody's pretending anything, llkltk. I, for one, simply gave the actual stats from the MLS when you said there were quite a few houses listed there for $200-275/sq. ft. In actuality, there are 3 in that price range (two of the three closer to the bottom end of that range), out of 22 currently listed. Allandale is in line with the other close-in established neighborhoods with nice but not fancy older houses. It's actually more affordable than some.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:13 PM

8,241 posts, read 9,891,659 times
I'm so bummed that Sampaio closed! (( Is anything else in there now? Oh- the Omelletry is also a fun place for breakfast...it's been a few months since I've been....is it still there?? We also like the Amy's/Phil's Ice House.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:18 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,777,588 times
Quote:
No...east of Shoal Creek, near Burnet Road.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:38 PM

4,062 posts, read 4,858,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
No...east of Shoal Creek, near Burnet Road.
North of 2222? If you live south of 2222 and haven't seen the things I've mentioned, that is kind of surprising.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:11 PM

I remember when we moved to Allandale, after a brief stint in a northwest suburban neighborhood. I was concerned about crime, even though I'd lived in Austin almost my entire life without incident. Funny how that illusion of danger developed so quickly while on the outside, looking in.

Really, the most exciting thing that happened during the 25 years we lived there was peeking out the window to watch the filming of Dazed and Confused.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
North of 2222? If you live south of 2222 and haven't seen the things I've mentioned, that is kind of surprising.
Slightly north, so I couldn't speak about the specific area you mentioned, except as a friend of families who have lived south of 2222 without incident. CVS and Savers are south of North Loop...that's pretty much on the edge, if it is Allandale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin