U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:55 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,279,035 times
Default Allendale?

Anyone live in this area and can share some opinions on location, traffic, crime and overall thoughts on the neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 PM

14 posts, read 38,801 times
I used to live there a few years ago, and often wish I still did. It is a WONDERFUL neighborhood. It's beautiful, very safe, with friendly people. The elementary school is a treasure. I can't imagine that you would find a nicer mid-century neighborhood than Allandale, anywhere. One caveat: When we moved, there was a brouhaha about putting in a Wal-Mart in the same general area though certainly not in the neighborhood itself), and many feared it would bring more traffic, etc.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:58 PM

4,562 posts, read 6,532,714 times
Yes, I don't live there but I wish I did! I have many friends in Allandale and it is a true treasure. there is a whole local hierarchy of home values based on what side of Shoal Creek you are on and whether or not you are north or south of the park.

NW Park is great, fabulous playground and my kids favorite pool.

It is a real community. The Wal-Mart is going in but it won't be open 24 hours and it is much smaller than the original proposal. Lots of great local retail in the area too.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:11 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,367,245 times
Never lived there, but passed through all the time, when I lived across mopac near Far West. Allandale is an EXCELLENT location in terms of getting anywhere in Austin... it's actually where the geographic center of the Austin metro is located. It's got easy access to the major highways, and the big streets that serve as alternates to the highways (Lamar and Burnet). I always love places that have the ability to get around in the city without having to use a highway (like during rush hour, or if there is a bad wreck). Traffic through the neighborhood is not bad off of the main roads, but of course it will be busier than a cul-de-sac burb.

About the only hesitation I ever had about moving there was that the 60s/70s built houses in the northern part (which were the ones I could afford) all had mostly low ceilings and small rooms. However, with some updating they probably would be great.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:08 PM

687 posts, read 750,561 times
I live there and it is a real jewel of a neighborhood. I have lived all over Austin and Round Rock and this is my favorite area. I like it because there is a very strong sense of community, all types of neighbors and it is not pretentious. People here get involved and help each other...or they leave you alone if that is what you prefer. Everything is close by - a snap to get on Mopac or I-35. The home break-in rate skyrocketed this past year so the neighborhood set up their own patrol to try and keep an eye on things.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,325,527 times
Like everyone said, Allendale is a great area. I used to live right by there in Rosedale (also a nice area). My only complaint about the area is that it's gotten pretty pricey over the years.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,856,941 times
Allandale is a great neighborhood. I lived there for almost 25 years, moving away a couple of years ago because I was ready for a change. Many of our neighbors who were there before us are still there. Live in Allandale for very long and it's like living in small town, USA. But, no one will bother you if you want to keep to yourself. Otherwise, it's chatting over the fence while the kids all play outside together.

I've seen it go through natural cycles, and it is alive once again with young children. Also its share of older people and singles, which makes for a good mix of people.

Traffic is normal for a neighborhood, it's safe, and has an excellent sense of community. In fact, sense of community may be a defining characteristic of Allandale. It also is remarkable for huge lots which offer space that's hard to find in newer areas.

Last edited by capcat; 03-03-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 10:53 AM

2,071 posts, read 3,720,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikandanna View Post
I used to live there a few years ago, and often wish I still did. It is a WONDERFUL neighborhood. It's beautiful, very safe, with friendly people. The elementary school is a treasure. I can't imagine that you would find a nicer mid-century neighborhood than Allandale, anywhere. One caveat: When we moved, there was a brouhaha about putting in a Wal-Mart in the same general area though certainly not in the neighborhood itself), and many feared it would bring more traffic, etc.
The Walmart is being built now.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:59 AM

2,071 posts, read 3,720,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
Anyone live in this area and can share some opinions on location, traffic, crime and overall thoughts on the neighborhood?
Allandale is a nice neighborhood. A lot of people have flipped the houses. There are still pockets that are not the nicest. You might have a flipped house with all the bells and whistles next to a not so great one or a rental that some slackers might live in.

I know I'll get hammered for my response, but I think eventually the neighborhood will totally be flipped. But there are still vagrants wandering the streets, the HEB area on Burnet to me is still kind of seedy. But, the revitilization will take over eventually. I feel bad for the people being pushed out. Maybe they could afford the property taxes 10 years ago on a 150K home but now it's probably valued at 300K. Revitilization is a touchy subject because where do the people go that are forced out? Same thing is happening in East Austin. The yuppie wants your low end house to flip so you have to go. Not the best thing, but it's happening.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:15 PM

4,562 posts, read 6,532,714 times
There are some pretty strict deed restrictions in place that make subdividing lots and second story additions hard to impossible to do.

NW Hills is/was full of flippers, they can get much more bang for the buck there. Home values in Allandale are rising but at a slower more stable level than many other parts of town. Not many 150K homes in Allandale any more but not many at 500K either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin