U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-04-2010, 06:37 PM

32 posts, read 43,815 times
Default Austin weather

How would you compare Austin weather to Houston's? Is it as hot and/or as humid in the summer? Also, does summer last just as long in Austin as it does in Houston (at least May-Oct)? Any thoughts appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 PM

14 posts, read 38,787 times
Not as humid as Houston. Very, very hot. Yep, summer lasts that long.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:05 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,361,798 times
Where are you coming from? Believe it or not, that makes a huge difference in how you will perceive the weather in Austin vs. Houston.

If you are coming from the West Coast, Arizona, Nevada, or other very dry climate -- the weather in Austin and Houston will be seem more or less the same. Hot and humid in the summer.

However, if you come from the east coast, Florida, or anywhere in the south you'll notice the difference between the two. Both have summers from May-Oct. Austin's temps get higher, but it is drier, so it does better in most "comfort" indexes that take into account dew point and temperature combined. If you've lived in Houston or other gulf cities, you'll probably really notice the dryness. That's summer, though. In winter Houston's weather would probably be considered nicer -- it doesn't typically get below freezing, and has fewer ice/snow events than Austin.

Overall, Houston gets a lot more rain, which can be both good and bad.. the good is that it keeps things green, and provides the occasional break from the summer heat. The bad news is that just after it rains in the summer, it can be extremely muggy, and the bugs can get bad.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:05 PM

32 posts, read 43,815 times
Thanks for the responses. I would actually be coming from Houston, so looking for a direct comparison. The thing I hate about Houston weather the most are the humid days that make you feel like you're swimming through the air. If there are fewer of those days in Austin (and it sounds like there are), that's another point in favor of relocating to Austin, which my husband is pushing us to do. :-)

Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 PM

333 posts, read 509,057 times
Houston vs. Austin: even though Austin summers are every bit as hot and almost as humid as Houston, I find that Austin is breezier than Houston and, for me, those afternoon breezes make all the difference.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:20 AM

587 posts, read 823,013 times
In doing my research of Austin (lived in Phoenix for the last 11 years and was REALLY worried about the humidity), I found that the dew points are highest in the morning and then go down as the temps go up throughout the day.

So as the heat climaxes, the dew points are down in the 50's (maybe low 60's sometimes), which isn't that bad at all!

For the sake of comparison to Houston, I looked at a couple random days on Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground and it does not appear that Houston dries out like that at all.

8/8/09: The lowest dew point of the day was a brief dip to 69.1, but it was back up to 71.1 within an hour. The temp was 93ish at the time.

7/17/09: The lowest dew point was down to 66.0 for a couple late afternoon hours while the temp was 94-95, but before and after it was also in the 70s.

It appears to me that it would feel far more humid throughout the day in Houston than in Austin.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 AM

8,624 posts, read 15,817,204 times
To me, having lived in Houston, I wouldn't say Austin Is FAR less humid than Houston but there is a SLIGHT difference; to me anyway. I feel a more drastic difference between Austin and Corpus Christi than Austin/Houston. You won't feel like you're breathing water here, I WILL give it that.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 AM

8,622 posts, read 17,391,848 times
To me, having lived in Houston, I find that Austin is much less humid that Houston . Bit that is just me.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 AM

8,624 posts, read 15,817,204 times
hahaha

Old 03-05-2010, 03:23 PM

680 posts, read 752,345 times
I've been in Austin and Houston a few times on the same day. In each instance, it felt horrible in Houston compared to Austin even though the weather stats were essentially the same in both places, with humidity only slightly higher in Houston.

It seems like the major difference is air movement. Austin's air is usually moving, it's common to have a nice breeze. Houston's air tends to sit on you without moving, which feels much more oppressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin