U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 AM

42 posts, read 76,391 times

Advertisements

We're house hunting and our main concern is making sure we have enough acreage for 2 horses. How much should we be looking at? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:24 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,668,577 times
I believe the general rule is an acre per horse, though I've seen two manage just fine on a single acre while being fed hay year-round. You'll also need more land for your house and stalls as your horse acreage should be enclosed for a paddock to allow the horses to exercise. And then you'll need to take into consideration where you plan to let them graze or if you'll be feeding hay...

Old 03-08-2010, 11:17 AM

544 posts, read 905,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
I believe the general rule is an acre per horse, though I've seen two manage just fine on a single acre while being fed hay year-round. You'll also need more land for your house and stalls as your horse acreage should be enclosed for a paddock to allow the horses to exercise. And then you'll need to take into consideration where you plan to let them graze or if you'll be feeding hay...

confirming -- i'd think you'd want some exercise room 'em as well

Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 AM

16,396 posts, read 22,640,409 times
Okay, here's the question. Are you planning on your horses grazing, or are you planning on having them stalled and only feeding grain and hay? How about turn-out? How much room are they currently having turnout in? (Or do you have horses yet?)

I've known people to have several horses on two acres, but they were not pastured and turnout was minimal, if existent. However, they were buying horses, training them, and then selling them, so the horses were on that limited an area for a relatively short period of time.

I would say no less than two acres, preferably four or more, for two horses if you're going to supplement grazing considerably, would be a good rule of thumb.

One thing to consider is that with a larger parcel, you might be able to find a place with its ag exemption in place, which would cut your taxes considerably and make the larger parcel more affordable.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
How about turn-out? How much room are they currently having turnout in? (Or do you have horses yet?)

One thing to consider is that with a larger parcel, you might be able to find a place with its ag exemption in place, which would cut your taxes considerably and make the larger parcel more affordable.
Thanks to all of you for your help! We are horse lovers but will be brand new horse owners after we move as we do not have them yet. We would prefer to have our horses grazing if at all possible to save a bit of money on feed. How large a parcel is needed for ag exemption? Any recommendations of sites or books (yep, we still read!!!) that would benefit us as we begin our new horse adventure would be appreciated too!

Old 03-08-2010, 01:35 PM

48 posts, read 82,089 times
Not sure your price range, but In Ruby Ranch you are allowed 2 horses on a 3 to 4 acre lot. My neighbor's house that is for sale is already fenced in and ready for them.

I think it is going for $399k

Old 03-08-2010, 01:56 PM

Ag exemption is a bit complicated, because you'd have to use the land for ag purposes in order to keep the exemption, and that determination is by county, so in some counties, a gelding wouldn't count as it couldn't be used for breeding (even if were used for ranch work), and in other counties it will.

As for minimum number of acres, I'd have to check on that, as well, as it varies, too, depending on use.

Where are you looking and what's your price range? I'll see if I can find links to the appropriate information in the county or counties you're looking in.

Oh, and east of I35 is going to be better soil for horses, though you can find some pockets west of I35. If you've not had horses before, make sure to hook up with someone who has and who can help you along, because it's not all as obvious as one would think! Plus, you'll need pointers to the best equine vets and farriers and tack shops and feed stores, etc.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Where are you looking and what's your price range? I'll see if I can find links to the appropriate information in the county or counties you're looking in.

Oh, and east of I35 is going to be better soil for horses, though you can find some pockets west of I35. If you've not had horses before, make sure to hook up with someone who has and who can help you along, because it's not all as obvious as one would think! Plus, you'll need pointers to the best equine vets and farriers and tack shops and feed stores, etc.
The job we're relocating for is on Springdale Road east of 35 in Austin. No idea was county that's in - we just started browsing MLS this week. Our price range is likely under 250K. We were told to stay west of 35 for lower crime, better resale, etc, but the issue of better grazing for the horses on the east side is good to know.

Last edited by eddy2010; 03-09-2010 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Correction

Old 03-09-2010, 02:40 PM

Yeah, well, there are always people who really really NEED a "wrong side of the tracks" to exist so that they can think they live on the "right" side of the tracks. "West of I35" and "east of I35" are huge areas, with very nice areas and not so nice areas in both of them. (Also some very expensive and not so expensive areas in both of them.) There's also a certain "urban" versus "rural" stereotyping going on there. Land will, indeed, be more affordable east. How far are you interested in commuting? What kind of housing do you have in mind? (Size, that kind of thing.) What else do you like to do besides work and horses? Answer me those and I'll be able to point you more accurately.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
How far are you interested in commuting? What kind of housing do you have in mind? (Size, that kind of thing.) What else do you like to do besides work and horses? Answer me those and I'll be able to point you more accurately.
Thanks for your help! We'd want a commute of no more than 30 minutes. Work starts for me around 4am and ends around 2pm so I probably wouldn't have the huge traffic problems that others might. We'd love a property with enough acreage not only for horses, but we're both ATV riders and would like to be able to enjoy that on our property as well. Something near water would be great, but not a requirement. Have jet ski, will travel! As far as size, we couldn't care less about square footage, but a 3 bedroom with barn and garage/shop is what we're in the market for. We're just psyched to be leaving big city Boca and want the quiet of the country with the option of driving in to Austin to enjoy a little city life when we want it. Basically we're looking for country living in a horse friendly area with wide open spaces to run and ride.

Last edited by eddy2010; 03-10-2010 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: Addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin