Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:34 AM

810 posts, read 1,425,223 times

Advertisements

You should know SA is a not very bike-friendly city. There are no real paths for bikers except some “dedicated” bike paths next to major roads which is a joke. I would not want to ride next to traffic as there are too many idiots driving here.

The young Mayer here is supposed to be doing something to make SA a more “bike-friendly” city but I believe it when I see it happens, maybe in 10 years since everything moves so slow down here. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 07:50 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Last year was not a good year, by the way, to judge rain by. We were in the middle of the worst drought in 50 years.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
You should know SA is a not very bike-friendly city. There are no real paths for bikers except some “dedicated” bike paths next to major roads which is a joke. I would not want to ride next to traffic as there are too many idiots driving here.

The young Mayer here is supposed to be doing something to make SA a more “bike-friendly” city but I believe it when I see it happens, maybe in 10 years since everything moves so slow down here. LOL.
I hear this type of sentiment often, but I think it's based on a lack of experience. You simply need to choose your routes well--you don't bike the same routes you would drive.

OP is a cyclist; I'm sure he knows the game.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
I hear this type of sentiment often, but I think it's based on a lack of experience. You simply need to choose your routes well--you don't bike the same routes you would drive.

OP is a cyclist; I'm sure he knows the game.
I may not be a hard-care cyclist like OP but I have ridden on the bike paths down here and majority of them are next to where traffic is. A friend of mine got hit by a car while biking in Dallas and he is now suffering from a severe head injury, three fractured ribs and a punctured right lung.

Get well soon Paul!: What happened

Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times
Quote:
I may not be a hard-care cyclist like OP but I have ridden on the bike paths down here and majority of them are next to where traffic is. A friend of mine got hit by a car while biking in Dallas and he is now suffering from a severe head injury, three fractured ribs and a punctured right lung.
So how is Paul now? Even though the head injury may still affect his life, the fractured ribs and punctured lung must have healed by now, so it doesn't seem like a "now" thing, as your entry suggested. The article is from June, 2008. Has Paul recovered?

Old 03-13-2010, 11:30 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Quote:

From what I know, Austin isn't THAT much better. I wish it were.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
So how is Paul now? Even though the head injury may still affect his life, the fractured ribs and punctured lung must have healed by now, so it doesn't seem like a "now" thing, as your entry suggested. The article is from June, 2008. Has Paul recovered?
I did not mean to put the word "now" in there. He is doing rehab and getting better with his senses and mobility. You can see his updates in the main blog.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Google now keeps track of "safer" biking routes, so it can provide directions by bike. With it, you can see just how much better for in-town cycling Austin is than any other Texas city -- especially Dallas or San Antonio.

Austin
austin, tx - Google Maps

SA
san antonio, tx - Google Maps

Dallas
dallas, tx - Google Maps

Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 PM

163 posts, read 318,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
We have a couple of friends who are hard core environmentalist that moved from the Northeast to San Antonio (although not vegan they strongly lean toward vegetarianism). They have been really happy there and have met many like-minded souls through meet-up.com.
hardcore environmentalist?

do your friends head bang while they seperate their recycling? what exactly constitutes an environmentalist that is hardcore about their interests in the environment? an environmentalist IS environmentalism, nothing more and nothing less. some aid in environmental concerns more than others, but that certainly wouldn't make them "hardcore".

leaning towards vegetarianism?

you either ARE vegetarian or you aren't. there isn't an ambiguous fine line.

Last edited by absolutely; 03-14-2010 at 12:57 AM..

Old 03-13-2010, 11:59 PM

163 posts, read 318,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
"Based on your description, you would have a MUCH better life living within downtown Austin. There are a LOT of environmentally conscious, vegan/vegetarian, liberal people there. At least compared to anywhere else in TX."

Read more: Vegan/Environmentalist/Cyclist relocating...to somehwere between SA and Austin

Sorry, gotta disagree. I know there are a lot of those types in Dallas, Houston and a few other cities in Texas...especially in the Central areas. They are not exclusive to Austin. Downtown would make the commute a touch longer as well.
i wouldn't taken anyone's opinion into consideration who considers vegans, cyclists and environmentalists as "those types". while these interests certainly are obviously not confined to austin, i believe you'll find what you're looking for in austin when compared to any other central texas city. in austin, they are contained more predominantly within downtown, south, and east side.

as a vegetarian, former cyclist (injury), and environmentalist from northern indiana, i think you would find what you are looking for in south or east austin, if in fact you do choose austin. i believe the sense of community amongst "us types", is most developed in these areas. i live in a neighborhood called travis heights, and feel very comfortable with my surroundings.

feel free to PM me with any questions you have. i've yet to find a kinship amongst city-data posters concerning vegetarianism / veganism, or environmentalism, so i wouldn't expect to find the quality advice you're looking for here. there are certainly those of us who understand you interests, and are able to advise you, but we're few and far between, and are left in the shadows by the more vocal majority. there are several ridiculous misconceptions about cycling that run around here as well.

Last edited by absolutely; 03-14-2010 at 12:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin