Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:59 PM

372 posts, read 1,149,029 times

Advertisements

Wasn't Round Rock just recently recognized as one of the fastest growing towns in America. Yes, there have been lots of layoffs around Austin just like the rest of the country. Because there are so many homes in Round Rock, it probably seems like the foreclosure rate might be high but I don't think the foreclosure rate in Round Rock is higher than any other area of the Austin metro. I would also like to know where you got this info. I live in Round Rock and I don't see alot of foreclosures in my neighborhood or the neighborhoods that surround me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 08:07 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
It sounds like a short commute is a priority, that rules out RR. Live in Austin proper! There are good schools, like top-rated Lee Elementary right in Hyde Park! The number of bedrooms might be a problem but you could get what you want in Allandale and other parts of close-in central Austin. Get a good realtor.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:25 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,942 times
It will be hard to find 3000 square feet in Allandale or any part of Central Austin in that price range. Can you even find 3000 square feet in Allandale?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
It will be hard to find 3000 square feet in Allandale or any part of Central Austin in that price range. Can you even find 3000 square feet in Allandale?
The OP said 2000+ sq. ft., not 3000, in their original post, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths. However, there are no 4 bedrooms for rent in Allandale in any price range currently, and only 4 in the past 6 months - and only one of those was 2000 or more sq. ft., though at 2768 sq. ft. and $1800 it was approaching 3000 sq. ft.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:12 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaupas View Post
Wasn't Round Rock just recently recognized as one of the fastest growing towns in America. Yes, there have been lots of layoffs around Austin just like the rest of the country. Because there are so many homes in Round Rock, it probably seems like the foreclosure rate might be high but I don't think the foreclosure rate in Round Rock is higher than any other area of the Austin metro. I would also like to know where you got this info. I live in Round Rock and I don't see alot of foreclosures in my neighborhood or the neighborhoods that surround me.
Oh .... RR definitely has more foreclosures per capita compared to Austin.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:31 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Well, something has to give, either space requirements or the commute!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The OP said 2000+ sq. ft., not 3000, in their original post, 4 bedrooms, 2 baths. However, there are no 4 bedrooms for rent in Allandale in any price range currently, and only 4 in the past 6 months - and only one of those was 2000 or more sq. ft., though at 2768 sq. ft. and $1800 it was approaching 3000 sq. ft.
All these posts are similar. I was just reading one that said 2000 sq. ft. That's where the confusion came in.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Oh .... RR definitely has more foreclosures per capita compared to Austin.
Can you give some actual statistics regarding this claim?

And by "per capita", do you mean actually that, or do you mean out of the houses currently on the market? Those are two very different tings.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 PM

19 posts, read 37,479 times
I don't think that I will have to give up what I am looking for in order to have a better commute. I have found several homes listed right now that would keep us right at 30 minutes. The problem is, will I find similar homes in May/June when we can actually lease one?
I also just like to hear from those of you who are there, to tell me what it is really like. I mean, it will be completely different from where we are now. You guys have so many toll roads and just this week I learned about the commuter train. So there is just a lot to learn and I have 3 more months to get my mind wrapped around as much as possible. I will have enough going on when we arrive that all of these things I am learning now will be one less thing to jump out at me.
Thanks again for all of the thoughts, advice and wisdom! You guys are really helping me and a lot of other people out!

Last edited by aprilmt; 03-16-2010 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-16-2010, 01:07 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Can you give some actual statistics regarding this claim?

And by "per capita", do you mean actually that, or do you mean out of the houses currently on the market? Those are two very different tings.
I agree that these foreclosure comments are getting out of hand.

One person (the OP i believe) makes the comment that she (kryptically) heard that RR has "alot" of "F"s. First off....what was the source? Secondly....WHERE in RR??? RR is a huge geographic city & some parts are more desirable than others.....so where in RR is this mysterious person saying the "F"s are occuring??

The second person (the one who recommends "Lake Austin HS") makes comments about per capita "F"s without citing any sources (just like he/she made School performance claims....one on a school that doesn't even exist ....w/o citing any stats or websites).

I don't live in RR, or "North" Austin (whatever that means), but if i did....I'd be PO'd. If you two are gonna make comments about "F"s..... (or child molesters or any other items that affect property values)....give stats, name your sources, link websites.....or just keep it to yourself (especially if you don't live here).

To the OP.....name names (if you feel like it.....or not). But please move downtown.... so hubby can walk to work.....& also because random blurting out of inaccurate information will probably just be perceived as "quirky".

In some neighborhoods it might not be percevied that way.

To 78703....don't be provocative unless you have stats or links to back it up.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin