Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 05:53 AM

117 posts, read 537,055 times

Advertisements

We will be driving from Chicago to Austin next week with 2 large Labrador Retrievers. Any suggestions for hauling them comfortably? They can't fit in the car, so they'd have to be in their crates in the truck somehow-yet well-ventilated which seems difficult to achieve. Is there some sort of an animal trailer to be rented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 08:05 AM

15,242 posts, read 35,458,827 times
My dad travels with his work dogs crated and in the back of his pickup, but he has built a 'sun shade' out of some plywood and 2x4s. It really is just two sides and a top of plywood that sits over two crates at the cab-end of the bed. It keeps them quite dry and considerably cooler. He has travelled all over the state with them like that, but nothing as far as Chicago. You do (obviously) have to stop quite a bit and let em out, but they do have water in there with them.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:05 AM

98 posts, read 452,903 times
Can you rent a van or big SUV or something so they can be inside?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,605,560 times
It would be very dangerous to put them in the back of the truck (I'm assuming you mean moving truck). Even well ventilated it would be dangerous. Not enough air circulates in a trailer, even when it is moving. A pickup truck is a different story.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:16 PM

117 posts, read 537,055 times
They won't be going in the truck--not only difficult to make comfortable-illegal, too.

We're going to put them in their crates in the back of the Tahoe.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:18 PM

2,238 posts, read 8,990,062 times
Drove my wife's grandparents' Great Dane from SF to Austin a few years ago. She didn't have any problems in a crate in the back of the minivan. We did stop every 3 hours for 30 minutes so she could get some exercise though.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:52 PM

56 posts, read 205,572 times
I travel to and from upstate New York to Texas A&M twice a year between semesters with my 3 yr old german shorthair pointer. I do let him ride in the front seat with my clothes and stuff in the trunk of my honda so I don't have the same problem as you, but I think the dogs riding in the crates should be ok. Just try and stop maybe every 75 miles or so and give em' a little walk like I do. I think it should work, good luck with the trip!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:00 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,572,063 times
I had to get a flatbed trailer to carry some of my heavier/bulky possession on a cross country move and opted to get a 14' trailer and mount a dog pen on it. I had a pen made of 6'X10' chain link panels. I bolted these to the trailer bed and tarped the front half and top to create a shelter. I put the dog houses, feeders and water pans in the enclosure and packed the rest of the trailer with the "stuff" I couldn't ship.

Dogs loved it, the cops that inspected it at the gas station thought it was a great idea, and it gave the dogs a safe place to live at overnight stops where they would not have been welcome indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin