U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM

247 posts, read 480,823 times

Advertisements

It's time for us to hook up internet and (eventually) TV at our new house near Anderson and Burnet. Does anyone have recent experience with these services they can share?

We had Time Warner previously but we were unimpressed.

We have Grande internet at work and it seems kind of flaky, though less expensive. Don't know anything about their TV.

I haven't had any experience with AT&T U-Verse, but they offer 24 Mbps down internet for our location, which seems awesome. I don't know what the upload that goes with that is and I've heard the U-Verse TV experience isn't great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 11:13 PM

109 posts, read 198,568 times
We've had U-Verse internet for nine months in a downtown residence with no complaints. I don't recall the speed we picked, but it's neither the fastest nor the slowest. Not a moment of trouble. I can't comment on U-verse TV and phone service, since our arrangement is internet only. (The only reason we were able to get U-verse internet with no phone and TV is because DSL is not available in our building.)

Old 03-16-2010, 10:35 AM

37 posts, read 81,158 times
Internet is internet. Stability is going to be more about your neighborhood and the condition of it's wiring (and your home's wiring too) then about the actual service. You would probably be better off asking "how is the customer support" of these companies, since it's more about "how do i fix it" then "when will it break". I'm not aware of any reliability issues that any of them have across the board.

TV is a different story since the experiences can differ wildly.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylkell View Post
Internet is internet.
If all you ever do is visit web pages and download the occasional music or video file, maybe. But I do a lot more than that with my internet service. Ping times, burst speeds, sustained speeds, both up and down, can vary from service to service.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:26 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,694,482 times
I've used them all.

I liked Grande when I had it. They had great bundle prices and I could use my PVR with it seamlessly, so I saved money by not needing digital or DVR service. However, I believe they have a very small service area, so you might want to see if they're available where you live first.

UVerse was great, too, and has a lot going for it--whole house streaming, DVR that could be programmed via the internet, but I had quite a few issues with the quality of the connection and ping times. It's also more expensive than cable in terms of price vs download speeds.

I use RoadRunner for internet now, and it's fine. I rarely have connection issues with them. I ditched cable TV in favor of just using an antenna and Netflix/Hulu, so I'm really only concerned about price at this point. Sometimes, I suspect that RR is throttling my connection when I watch a lot of Netflix and tv/movies from other legitimate sites because my download speeds will occasionally plummet for an hour or so.

That new Clear wireless service sounds nice in theory, but it costs about the same as RR and it's not hard to find free wifi around town.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 AM

22 posts, read 104,856 times
We have had U-Verse TV and internet for the last 5 months and we have been extremely happy with it. We used to have Time Warner everywhere else we have lived and were always having issues with it. None of the problems that we experienced with them have been present with U-Verse. We also love everything else that U-Verse offers like the DVR that has the ability to record more then just 2 shows at the same time and the extra storage capacity of the DVR. The internet seems like it is about the same as what we had with Time Warner but we never get the interruption of service like we did with Time Warner.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:39 AM

958 posts, read 1,189,739 times
Any opinions on the quality of uverse HD vs either Dish or DirecTV? I "need" the higher speeds of uverse but was wholly unimpressed with the HD picture quality a couple of years ago, have things improved since then? I've never done TW HD so I'm really interested in a comparison of the two sat systems since that's what I'm used to. Also don't care about SD at all.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:41 AM

37 posts, read 81,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
If all you ever do is visit web pages and download the occasional music or video file, maybe. But I do a lot more than that with my internet service. Ping times, burst speeds, sustained speeds, both up and down, can vary from service to service.
And can vary a lot from location to location, package to package, and even down to the modem hardware your running. My point is that ISP's aren't so standardized that the service you get with (lets say) TW in Central Austin is the same you'll get in Cedar Park. You can't point to ISP "x" and say "they have great reliability, and my pings are awesome" because you enter their network at a different point then joe, who is in a different part of town with different hardware. You can say certain things about an ISP, like how they treat customers in general because that's location agnostic (at least within the general area). If they are horrible, you could even make sweeping statements about system-wide outages and be accurate but none of the providers mentioned here are that bad. Anything else is anecdotal at best.

That said, i hate TW with a passion but still use them for internet because that's what this apartment has set up. I liked AT&T (but i also had their TV) and have never used grande but heard good things about them.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 AM

22 posts, read 104,856 times
Uverse HD has been awesome at our house. But we were also told by AT&T that our house was wired completely with fiber optic and they said we would have exceptional quality because of it. Our house is new so I can't speak for other neighborhoods.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
I liked Grande when I had it. They had great bundle prices and I could use my PVR with it seamlessly, so I saved money by not needing digital or DVR service. However, I believe they have a very small service area, so you might want to see if they're available where you live first.
They are available at my place, and the ability to work easily with my PVR is very appealing. I have a TV/Media server and several clients, so this might be the best way to go. I'm worried that U-Verse would be too hard to get to work with my system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin