U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2010, 04:44 PM

25,170 posts, read 33,536,398 times
Default What did I miss on South Congress?

Hello Austinites,

While I was suffering extreme boredom and exclusion from the "inner circle". What did I miss out in South Congress? I saw funny photos of a cupcake trailer and a antique stores. Anything else?
Remember I was too busy being excluded by transplants to enjoy anything in Austin.

http://i.pbase.com/g3/84/59484/2/56298401.DSC06919.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:41 PM

4,598 posts, read 6,668,667 times
The Continental Club for one thing!
Welcome to the Continental Club

Jo's Coffee, the Austin Hotel, Snack Bar, Guerro's, Cissi's market, Home Slice Pizza, Yard Dog, Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds (fabulous costume shop, one of my favorite places ever!) A host of other local retailers, the nice guys at the Fire Department, there's now a big lot full of trailer eateries, Hey Cupcake, Mighty Cone (which sells Hudson's on the Bend fabulous "chicken cone" invention for ACL) a pie trailer, and an ever-changing array. You would be three blocks from a small greenbelt and two parks. Lots of yard art, old houses painted funky colors, old dumpy house, modern blockish houses, tons of people most with either a baby or dog or both. And a great view down the Avenue to the Capital. Oh, and Fran's Hamburgers.

I live nearby, it has changed a lot from the days (about 10 years ago) when there were prostitutes and by the hour motels! It is a bit stunning. I was there every day this weekend and the place was knee-deep in hipsters and tourists thanks to SXSW! I'm not quite sure that it is all that! But is a wonderful part of Austin. I'm sorry you missed it.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 PM

3,737 posts, read 5,294,006 times
Don't forget Big Top Candy Shop! Or Monkey See Monkey Do. Or the South Congress Cafe.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:22 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,366,976 times
Hipsters, yuppies, and lots of tourists.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 03-15-2010 at 10:38 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 12:35 AM

2,333 posts, read 5,121,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I was there every day this weekend and the place was knee-deep in hipsters and tourists thanks to SXSW! I'm not quite sure that it is all that! But is a wonderful part of Austin. I'm sorry you missed it.
Lordy, you ain't kidding!

I live around there as well...it's been a zoo, and about to get zoo-ier. I like it though.

I'll cast my vote for Vulcan Video
I just love the place...

Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 AM

164 posts, read 181,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Hipsters, yuppies, and lots of tourists.
gross

Old 03-16-2010, 06:39 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,366,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I was there every day this weekend and the place was knee-deep in hipsters and tourists thanks to SXSW! I'm not quite sure that it is all that! But is a wonderful part of Austin. I'm sorry you missed it.
South Congress is always overrun with hipsters and tourists, not just when SXSW is going on. That's a major reason I don't like to hang around on South Congress anymore.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:29 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,668,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
South Congress is always overrun with hipsters and tourists, not just when SXSW is going on. That's a major reason I don't like to hang around on South Congress anymore.
Yes, this is sadly true. I've lived nearby for over a decade and I no longer feel much at home on South Congress. "who ARE these people?" is my usual reaction. SXSW is one thing -- it gets truly crazy but most folks are good spirited and the vibe is good, but often . . . it is not. Suddenly I feel like a "townie" at someplace on the beach ("Dude, I live here! so stop parking on my lawn, cutting in line or acting like you own the place!)

But then I remember some moments back in the early 90s when South Congress was on the verge not of turning into trendy SoCo but into a scarier, crime-ridden place . . . and I get over it.

The best part of the area are the people who live in Travis Heights and Bouldin, they are the true gems!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin