Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:15 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times

Advertisements

I agree with most of the comments here. Your body will adjust to different conditions over time. I prefer to run when it's fairly humid out and I'm good as long as the temperature is under 100. My mouth doesn't dry out as much and I tend to tighten up less. As Trainwreck said, it's the direct sun that is the big problem. Running in the morning before 9:00am or after 7:00pm is normally the best for me. If you're going to be running on a mostly shaded trail, then the time doesn't matter as much in my opinion.

If you're like me and hate carrying a water bottle, you should stop by Academy or RunTex and get one of those lightweight belts that holds at least a small water bottle. Other needed items for exercising in Austin during the summer are a running hat, some sport friendly sunglasses, and some sunblock that doesn't sting your eyes too much. Some "Off" mosquito repellent might be useful as well if you choose to exercise outside in the evenings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 02:24 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I used to run late in the evening, usally after 9 pm, when the humidity had not increased very much and the heat was not nearly as bad...Some do better with lower temps and higher humidity, others with higher temps but lower humidity.
Same here. I ran as late as I could. I did better with the lower humidity in the evenings.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:37 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Would you agree with Eepstein that between 6:30-7:30 would be the best in June? What about 9 or 10?
I don't see why 9 or 10 wouldn't be a good time to run. I would guess the temperature will be low to mid-80s.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:49 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,854 times
Aren't you avid in 100 degree + runners/bikers scared of heatstroke or sunstroke? Even the most in shape people experience that. It's kind of like the myth of only getting skin cancer if you are outside for long when the sun is out. You could still get it when it is cloudy.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:14 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Aren't you avid in 100 degree + runners/bikers scared of heatstroke or sunstroke? Even the most in shape people experience that. It's kind of like the myth of only getting skin cancer if you are outside for long when the sun is out. You could still get it when it is cloudy.
I think if you are even moderately acclimated, or used to excercise, it's not a problem. Just stay hydrated. Even last year, our record hottest summer ever, you didn't hear much about injuries due to heatstroke.

My wife works in the ER, and she says it's much more likely that people experiencing heat-related illnesses are those who are A) Inside an un-airconditioned home (or car, which are the most tragic and recurring situations here in Texas), B) Drunk on the lake or something, or C) Just completely unused to excercise or being outside in the heat of the day.

Remember that even though it's uncomfortable and not advisable to be in direct sunlight during the height of the summer, it's not nearly as bad for you as higher elevations... like Denver, where you are a mile closer to the sun, and the air is less oxygen-rich!

Old 03-17-2010, 03:19 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,854 times
Alright. Hope everything works out for you risk takers! I am too play it safe. I wouldn't risk health like that personally.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Quote:
Aren't you avid in 100 degree + runners/bikers scared of heatstroke or sunstroke? Even the most in shape people experience that.
Well, if this summer is anything like last year, then you wouldn't be able to do anything athletic outside at all between May and October if you waited until it cooled down. Stay hydrated, wear sunblock, wear a hat, and wear proper clothing.

It can be argued that running a marathon is bad for your health. Running 26 miles puts your body through some very difficult times. I think that exercising for 45 minutes in 100 degree heat while staying hydrated is much easier on your body than running a marathon at any temperature.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:51 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
I never really thought of it as risky. Of course, you have to work up to it -- you just can't go out there in 100+ degree weather and run 5 miles if you aren't used to exercising. But if you are used to running, then 10% more heat won't be that big of a deal. The trails aren't exactly empty during the 100 degree heat. Lots of people do it. You'll see when you come on down.

For me, running in the dark is more of a health risk -- I'm worried that I'll run into a pothole or something and twist an ankle or sprain a knee. Then you are sidelined for months. So I don't do it.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:07 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Also, yes, sunset is later right now, but by the end of summer it will be around 6:30 again.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:41 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Let's take a look-see at the actual times for rise, set, dawn, dusk...actually, back in Atlanta, the sunset was a fair bit later in June, keeping folks on non-lighted tennis courts AFTER 9pm some nights.
Austin, Texas - Sunrise, sunset, dawn and dusk times for the whole year - Gaisma

BTW, there were MANY nights last summer that well exceeded 90 degrees after sunset...didn't get comfy until midnight or so. That's one reason our convertible has so few miles on it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin