Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 PM

64 posts, read 167,272 times

Advertisements

hello- we are in initial stages of looking for a new place to live, and hopefully stay for the long haul as our children grow up. i've been researching some of the areas around Austin, but it's hard to get a sense of where would be right for us. here are some of our criteria

1. great schools! (we have 3 young children)
2. close, not horribly congested drive to downtown Austin
3. home in the range of $275-325K, give or take
4. 4 bedrooms, 2 bath +
5. pretty close to lake, shopping, restaurants, etc.

thank you for any insight

(husband will be working out of our home)....oh, and i would prefer proximity to places to run, bike, take walks with the kids,etc. and i'm not a huge fan of cookie-cutter new developments...would love lots of things to do with the kids like museums, nice libraries, pools, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
Well, it is kind of a fact of life that you can't have everything . Given that:
1) Great schools - well, how about good schools? Great is a bit subjective, and it you are going with completely objective metrics and only the top schools, you pretty much eliminate most of the areas in your price range. Greatschools.net has a standard rating system that, whether you agree with it or not, is somewhat indiciative. Anyway, Round Rock, Leander, Lake Travis, Dripping Springs, and good portions of Austin school districts are very good, but will vary by location within the district as well (esp. Austin).

2) Drive to downtown - Well, if neither of you are working downtown with an 8-5 job, that opens up a lot more area than if you are worried about rush hour commute. In my experience, the commute along I-35 (either north or south) during rush hour is pretty miserable. From SW Austin, the commute is annoying during rush hour, but not miserable. I have not commuted in from NW Austin since the toll roads but it USED to be pretty ugly.

3) Homes (4/2, $275-$325k). Well, not sure what sq footage you are looking for, so that will play a part, but this is pretty easy in most all the suburban areas and some of the outlying city areas (south, southwest, northwest close in, etc). SW Austin has a close drive to downtown and lots of houses in this range, but pretty much mass development, although places like Travis Country and/or Western Oaks might be your thing. They tend to be older houses in those areas, and might be more your idea of what you want.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:30 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,695 times
It sounds like you need to investigate Circle C and Steiner Ranch. It would also be worthwhile to investigate some parts of Cedar Park and Round Rock in comparison. Of course all of the areas above will have their pluses and minuses.

You'll probably have to accept the cookie-cutter thing in your price range. A lot of the neighborhoods in that price range do a good job of making the cookie-cutter neighborhoods look as non-cookie-cutter as possible if that makes sense.

I agree with Trainwreck's post above. I just posted the safest bets that will tend to meet most of your most important wants. I assumed that good/great schools trumped everything else. The "not horribly congested drive to downtown" is a tough one unless you live in central Austin.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:39 PM

372 posts, read 1,148,580 times
Cedar Park (Leander ISD) and Round Rock (Round Rock ISD) both have good to very good schools with lots of young families in new large master planned communities like Red Oaks, Steiner Ranch, River Place, Avery Ranch, Ranch at Brushy Creek, Walsh Ranch, Mayfield Ranch, Behrens Ranch, and Teravista. The drive to downtown Austin during rush hour is not fun but doable in under an hour. Round Rock and Cedar Park tend to be a little cheaper than comparable houses in Southwest Austin. Southwest Austin tends to be more scenic and is closer to downtown. The commute to downtown is much easier coming from the South from neighborhoods like Circle C or Western Oaks. Lakeway (Lake Travis ISD) is West of Austin and has very good schools. Newer homes will be more expensive because this area is right next to Lake Travis.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 PM

I just read that you want to be close to the Lake. I'm guessing you mean Lake Travis. Steiner Ranch sits between Lake Austin and Lake Travis and has a Lake Club with access to Lake Austin. Steiner Ranch is in the Leander ISD. There are currently 23 homes for sale in Steiner Ranch under $325K with 4 bedrooms and 2+ baths.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Perhaps you can get into Lakepointe for that range. LTISD schools, Bee Caves Rd. access, close to Lake Travis, etc.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Perhaps you can get into Lakepointe for that range. LTISD schools, Bee Caves Rd. access, close to Lake Travis, etc.
There are currently 3 homes for sale in Lake Point under $325K with 4 bedrooms. To the OP, one thing you need to consider when looking at various communities is that the tax rate and HOA dues (if you live in an HOA neighborhood) will be different all around the Austin metro area. For instance in Steiner Ranch the tax rate is 2.7% and the HOA dues are $630 / year while in Lake Pointe the tax rate is 2.2% and the HOA dues are $400 / year.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:50 PM

64 posts, read 167,272 times
thank you so much. this does help, i am thinking SW Austin suburbs may suit us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin