Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:43 PM

44 posts, read 132,367 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some good ideas to cut costs when moving to Austin. I will be moving from Oregon and from what I've seen will likely cost about $4k to move, that's doing the driving myself. Does anyone have any ideas to cut this cost, or any company that is cheaper than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 01:59 PM

347 posts, read 1,567,290 times
We moved to Salt Lake a few years ago and the best advice I got was, "if you don't love it or use it all the time, don't move it." We sold a lot of our furniture before we left, plus things we were given by relatives, but didn't care much about (fancy china, ugly artwork). I have never missed any of it.
That's probably not what you were asking for, but it cut costs more than anything else we did.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:13 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Eat out as little as possible. That's quite a long drive to always have picnic food, but if you stop every once in a while at a rest stop or nearby park, you'll save on resturaunt costs and getting severe fast food burn out.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:49 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,776 times
I've found this site to be very helpful:

Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams

Old 06-05-2007, 03:19 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman View Post
I'm looking for some good ideas to cut costs when moving to Austin. I will be moving from Oregon and from what I've seen will likely cost about $4k to move, that's doing the driving myself. Does anyone have any ideas to cut this cost, or any company that is cheaper than the other.
That sounds high for a self move. I had a small household (8300 lbs.) moved Dallas to Vancouver, Wa for less than $4500. We packed but it was loaded, transported and unloaded for that cost. I had four estimates and went with the lowest carrier that had decent references.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:24 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,911,080 times
Default Picnic Lunch

How did you do the picnic lunch? Bring a cooler with lunchmeat?

Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Actually, yes. Before we even left the driveway, we actually packed up what stuff we wanted to eat from the refrigerator (cokes, sandwich meat, peanut butter,etc...)before we threw the rest out. That got us relatively far. Then when we stopped for gas, we picked up a little this and that as well. We ate out a few meals just for variety but it really helped and we didn't have to stop as much. But we weren't travelling nearly as far. What sometimes took us 14 or 15 hours when we were kid free took us 3 days with a kiddo.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:37 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
That sounds high for a self move. I had a small household (8300 lbs.) moved Dallas to Vancouver, Wa for less than $4500. We packed but it was loaded, transported and unloaded for that cost. I had four estimates and went with the lowest carrier that had decent references.
Who did you use? Were you happy with them?

Old 06-07-2007, 10:43 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
I used PODS for the bulk of my move. I bought a 14' flatbed utility trailer that I mounted a dog pen on to keep my three large dogs in. The rest of the space held the items my wife did not want to let out of her possession and things I did not feel comfortable cramming into a container for a couple weeks (plants, and stuff we would need before the PODS would be delivered). Using the PODS was less than half of any quote I received from a moving company, including some I later discovered were pretty disreputable.

You can cut gas costs by planning the flatest route possible instead of the shortest route possible. I found that my gas mileage went way down during the climbs, to the point that a few extra miles at normal mpg would have been much cheaper.

Gas and meals were my big "travel" expenses. I travel a lot in business, so was able to use hotel points for my overnight stays. If you can tag team drive you can reduce or eliminate much of the motel expenses.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:19 AM

701 posts, read 2,482,422 times
Thanks Johnrex62. We also opted for PODS since we need storage in Austin (no house yet!). The "immediate needs" will go in a Uhaul trailer. We will trade off driving but with two kids, we won't be driving straight through from California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: