Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:53 PM

170 posts, read 446,601 times

Advertisements

I know Western Oaks isn't on your list and it may not meet all of your criteria, but I thought I'd let you know about it. It is a different neighborhood than the Villages of Western Oaks (they are right next to each other). Most of the homes are smaller than you've requested (and built in the 1970s) but there is a newer section that has larger homes that were built in the early 1990s (accessible from William Cannon only). The neighborhood is right next to 24-Hour Fitness and the Costco shopping area (which has a nice walking trail). The Villages of Western Oaks is very near all of this but depending on your fitness level (and the weather!), you may find that those things aren't in walking distance from that neighborhood. Western Oaks doesn't seem to get as much buzz because it's a smaller neighborhood than Villages and there are often not any homes for sale in the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 08:11 AM

390 posts, read 671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I can understand that, and I've definitely heard it before. But you still might want to check it out while you are here -- you really wouldn't be at the bottom of the economic scale. Westlake is a much more established area than some of the master-planned communities you are looking at, and because of that there is some diversity of income... there are apartments, condos, and duplexes in all price ranges. Drive down Bee Caves road between Mopac and 360, you'll see that Westlake isn't this mystical uber-rich gated community. There are places with regular homes, regular families. Older homes, but they have their charm. It's not all Rob Roy and river-front lots. Also, keep in mind that in the newer master planned areas, you will have HOA fees and higher taxes that will definitely increase how much you are paying per month. Westlake has tax rates as low as 1.88%, and lots of areas with no mandatory HOA (like Lost Creek -- only a $60 per YEAR voluntary neighborhood association).

As far as your current choices, I'd definitely test the commute to SW Austin from some of those NW neighborhoods. It can be difficult, especially if you are looking in places as NW as Cedar Park.

Can you give me the names of specific neighborhood in Eanes ISD that would be in our price range? I'll add them to my list to check out. You never know...we might love it, so I'd definitely be interested in checking it out.

My husband is currently interviewing with one company in SW and one company in NW. If he receives an offer, we would probably chose to live on the side of town that he works in. He commutes close to an hour right now and we would prefer to avoid a commute that long at this point in our lives.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:21 AM

390 posts, read 671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl26 View Post
I know Western Oaks isn't on your list and it may not meet all of your criteria, but I thought I'd let you know about it. It is a different neighborhood than the Villages of Western Oaks (they are right next to each other). Most of the homes are smaller than you've requested (and built in the 1970s) but there is a newer section that has larger homes that were built in the early 1990s (accessible from William Cannon only). The neighborhood is right next to 24-Hour Fitness and the Costco shopping area (which has a nice walking trail). The Villages of Western Oaks is very near all of this but depending on your fitness level (and the weather!), you may find that those things aren't in walking distance from that neighborhood. Western Oaks doesn't seem to get as much buzz because it's a smaller neighborhood than Villages and there are often not any homes for sale in the neighborhood.
Thank you! I will definitely add it to my list! I would love, love, love to be within walking distance of at least a few places. We live in a large, planned neighborhood currently, but we are on the edge and are able to walk to several stores, my health club, and restaurants. It is what I love most about where I live, so I would love to find something similar.

Can I assume that Veggiegirl26 is a vegetarian? I am a long time vegetarian (who seems to be leaning more towards veganism these days, but I'm not completely there) and our children are being raised as vegetarians as well. Any Austin vegetarian tips? Where are the good places to eat in the land of BBQ and where do you shop? We have Trader Joe's up here and I probably do 80% of my grocery shopping there. I'm curious if there are an good alternatives to Whole Foods. I love Whole Foods, but my grocery budget doesn't. Can you tell me anything about Sprouts or Newflower Market? I plan to check them out when I'm down there in a couple of weeks. I also want to check out the Farmers Markets on Saturday. Are there any other good organic/health food stores down there that I should check out?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:23 AM

372 posts, read 1,149,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post
Can you give me the names of specific neighborhood in Eanes ISD that would be in our price range? I'll add them to my list to check out. You never know...we might love it, so I'd definitely be interested in checking it out.
I only see 2 homes in the Eanes ISD that are 3000+ sq ft and 450K or less. Both were built in the 80s. One is in Austin Lake Hills and the other is in Rio Robles.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:33 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ27 View Post

My husband is currently interviewing with one company in SW and one company in NW. If he receives an offer, we would probably chose to live on the side of town that he works in. He commutes close to an hour right now and we would prefer to avoid a commute that long at this point in our lives.
Lost Creek, Bee Caves Woods (north of Barton Creek Mall) come to mind. But you will probably have to look for between 2500-3000 sq ft, unless you want to go up a little in price. Looking at the listings just now, I see a lot of stuff pending... must be the tax credit or something. But maybe just keep an eye on it up through your visit (as I imagine your realtor is currently doing).

Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 AM

372 posts, read 1,149,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Lost Creek, Bee Caves Woods (north of Barton Creek Mall) come to mind. But you will probably have to look for between 2500-3000 sq ft, unless you want to go up a little in price. Looking at the listings just now, I see a lot of stuff pending... must be the tax credit or something. But maybe just keep an eye on it up through your visit (as I imagine your realtor is currently doing).
There are currently only 4 homes available in Eanes ISD with 4 bedrooms that are 2500+ sq feet and under 450K. 1 in each of Austin Lake Hills, Rio Robles, Beecave Woods, and Barton Creek West. The homes are still very nice though. The house in Austin Lake Hills was recently remodeled and comes with Lake Access via a private park for the residents on Lake Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin