Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 14,015 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, We are yet another couple looking to move to Austin. Looks like a trend! Austin was in the top 50 list of gay friendly places to live. We are now living in Richmond VA, which is the Confederate capital "literally". I have read good and bad and this forum has been very helpful. We are a gay couple looking to relocate. So far Travis Heights looks promising. Also, most advice on here says avoid the highways unless you want to live in your car most of the day. I just wonder what makes it so gay friendly. I did once live in Asheville NC for 11 years, and I considered it bohemian. I guess that translates to gay friendly. So what is the best area for "dinks" double income no kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 12:32 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
That's probably close to what it means here too. There aren't any specific areas of town targeted to the gay population like in Houston, they have the Montrose area and all the nightlife as far as gay bars, etc...are at. Or as one poster put it on another similar post "gayborhoods". Just pick a place you like that fits you, noone picks on you (not the confederate capital of the world exactly)..It's more, live and let live. I'll leave the close in neighborhoods to others as I don't live in Central Austin...I'm way out here in the burbs.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:47 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
I would say Clarksville is the most popular neighborhood for the LGB crowd, but the atmosphere is pretty accepting throughout.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:48 PM

98 posts, read 454,064 times
I just got the Austin visitor's guide and they say there is a "Austin Gay & Lesbian Chamber of Commerce" - Austin Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.
Maybe they would be a good resource for you.

The guide says the hottest gay nightlife can be found in the "Warehouse District." I'm sure a local will come along and have some more info for you, but I hope that helps!

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:47 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,702 times
Austin is a gay city but I think that it is integrated through out the city, so every where you go there are some here and there. I would not recommend to move in to the Tarrytown or Westlake areas but the rest of Austin is open minded. You may want to look at south Austin, minutes from downtown, and the warehouse district as well as sixth street and congress avenue.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:09 PM

389 posts, read 1,631,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
Austin is a gay city but I think that it is integrated through out the city, so every where you go there are some here and there. I would not recommend to move in to the Tarrytown or Westlake areas but the rest of Austin is open minded. You may want to look at south Austin, minutes from downtown, and the warehouse district as well as sixth street and congress avenue.
So one poster claims Clarksville is the best neighborhood for gays, which it may indeed be. The poster quoted above claims that Tarrytown, which borders Clarksville, is a no go.

I live in Tarrytown and as coincidence would have it, my next-door neighbor is gay. He seems to be fine with his choice in neighborhoods and I am guessing that he would not be opposed to Westlake Hills either.

I get the idea that Jaipur has no real world experience in living in either Tarrytown or Welstlake Hills and is purely speaking out of his rear. Both areas are very desirable on multiple levels and, since Austin has no official "gayborhood", would be as good a place as any.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:16 PM

361 posts, read 1,163,707 times
I live in Tarrytown and have 2 gay couples on my street. They seem to like it here.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:01 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,273 times
I would think Tarrytown would be very gay friendly. I'd think in Westlake Hills the people would just not care. The areas I would imagine to be unfriendly would be places like Cedar Park or Manor.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 20,946 times
Default well......

To be perfectly frank, there is really no where you can go in Austin or the surrounding areas that are not accepting of gay people. I mean, it really is a super gay place. I live way up in round rock off exit 254, and there are several gay people in my neighborhood. (For those of you not familiar with Austin, exit 254 is far north Round Rock). When I first moved from Austin to Round Rock I was a little apprehensive about holding hands and things like that, but people here really do not care.

I wouldn't worry about what "areas" you should move to and what "areas" you should avoid. As long as you are in the Austin Metropolitan area, you will be within a 1000 foot radius of another gay person. I guarantee it. There maybe one or two people who have a problem with gays, but that will be anywhere you go. It really is a non-issue here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin