Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 04:10 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,253,648 times

Advertisements

Put very simply. Why would anyone care about Denton and Fort Worth when Dallas is so close?? It is the lifeblood of the metroplex. Without it, the metroplex would be nothing more than the Austin of north Texas!! Tarrant County is kinda the Williamson County of north Texas (only with more people). Anyone who has read my past posts KNOWS my feelings about Williamson County. The best thing about Fort Worth is that Dallas and northern burbs are only 30 short minutes away!!!

I can't believe someone is comparing the variety of restaurants/bars in Dallas to Austin. uuuuggggg......

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You miss Austin because of easier driving, restaurants and a doughnut store? I guess I see where your priorities are at.

It isn't like Dallas doesn't have streets filled with restaurants, concert halls, and doughnut stores. I think it is clear you do not know where to look. Beltline road in Addison is one of the many main areas for eating and drinking. Most of the cool people live in oaklawn and Addison area. You have to live inside the city of Dallas to enjoy it and travel from cedar springs, deep ellum, McKinney street, Dragon street, and Hederson avenue within 15 minutes.

If you look at a map you will realize that Denton/North Fort Worth is on the flip side of Dallas at least 40 miles away. That is a 1+ hour drive! If you live inside the city then you will not have to drive. And you will realize oh wait Dallas is so much more gargantuan than tiny little Austin.

You claim that you spend time in Denton and North Fort Worth. Denton has the same exact type of bars and nightclubs that Austin has on fry street and off of the town square. Do you not go out and party at the bars, concert halls, and nightclubs?

And UT Grads staying in central Austin "trying to create competition" isn't a smart strategy. Adding to the surplus isn't smart IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 04:12 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,253,648 times
I'm sure I speak for Arstyguy as well when I tell you how deeply sorry we both are for having our own OPINION!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnFOG View Post
One of the things Austin has going for it over Dallas, being the smaller city, is that as a result there is a much smaller pool of "eepstein"s and "artsyguy"s.

As I understand it: The more populated the cow pasture, the greater the likelihood of stepping into a pile of bull-****.

If you catch my drift.

More seriously:

One of the things we concluded when narrowing down relocation choices and visiting places, is that with Dallas, the rungs on the ladder are much farther apart. It is indeed true that there is a tremendous concentration of wealth in Dallas. There is, also, unfortunately a perplexingly large number of people who admire that wealth from underneath it, mostly to their own detriment. This thread is, in certain parts, a great example of that and you can see it in the tone and resentment in some posts. Particularly when it comes to the insinuation that one is "better" than the other.

In Austin, the ladder isn't as high, but the rungs are generally reachable.

What you've got here, though, are two different "kinds" of cities. Some posters seem to post under the delusion that the only type of lifestyle that could possibly benefit anyone is the type of lifestyle that they view positively, and everything else is worthy of condescension, ridicule and scorn. There is a very good likelihood, for instance, that I have nothing in common with eepstein or artsyguy and thus may have different goals that cater my preferences towards a certain kind of city, where their goals cater toward another. For one thing, I find what they do on this web forum to be childish and offensive. I wouldn't want to associate myself with the type of city they present positively, because I look very negatively on the way they go about communicating here. I find it difficult to imagine I'd like to be amongst the people and places they'd like to be at, as a result.

So far as I see it, both are perfectly acceptable places to live. I don't see how you could go wrong, frankly. Every city has some things going for it and against it, even the best and worst ones. When you get to comparing places like Austin and Dallas, I think you generally find that they're both just really great places. But finding out which is the best for you is really a manner of personal preference.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:20 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,606,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You miss Austin because of easier driving, restaurants and a doughnut store? I guess I see where your priorities are at.

It isn't like Dallas doesn't have streets filled with restaurants, concert halls, and doughnut stores. I think it is clear you do not know where to look. Beltline road in Addison is one of the many main areas for eating and drinking. Most of the cool people live in oaklawn and Addison area. You have to live inside the city of Dallas to enjoy it and travel from cedar springs, deep ellum, McKinney street, Dragon street, and Hederson avenue within 15 minutes.

If you look at a map you will realize that Denton/North Fort Worth is on the flip side of Dallas at least 40 miles away. That is a 1+ hour drive! If you live inside the city then you will not have to drive. And you will realize oh wait Dallas is so much more gargantuan than tiny little Austin.

You claim that you spend time in Denton and North Fort Worth. Denton has the same exact type of bars and nightclubs that Austin has on fry street and off of the town square. Do you not go out and party at the bars, concert halls, and nightclubs?

And UT Grads staying in central Austin "trying to create competition" isn't a smart strategy. Adding to the surplus isn't smart IMHO.

Sorry but the restaurants on Beltline are the same restaurants that are here in Austin.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,809,751 times
I guess we agree to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenamanie View Post
I've been to the clubs in Denton. I actually prefer Denton to Dallas. It has more of an eclectic vibe in my opinion. I've even referred to it as a miniature Austin. And those were only a few examples to highlight that I could drive to both the far North, South, East and West parts of the city easily. It WAS whether you find that a valid reason or not to like a place, more navigable. The DFW area has so many highways running through it half the time I don't know which way is up. In Austin there are about 5 major highways, which to me made it easier to find my way around. And again, it didn't matter WHICH part I was in, I could get all the way across in 30-45 minutes if I timed it right. DFW, is a much more sprawling area. And for a grad student, who also has a job, I don't want to spend an hour and a half in a car to get to a bar.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:20 PM

I don't. Denton is too backward for me. Fort Worth is too cowboy-rodeo-hickish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Put very simply. Why would anyone care about Denton and Fort Worth when Dallas is so close?? It is the lifeblood of the metroplex. Without it, the metroplex would be nothing more than the Austin of north Texas!! Tarrant County is kinda the Williamson County of north Texas (only with more people). Anyone who has read my past posts KNOWS my feelings about Williamson County. The best thing about Fort Worth is that Dallas and northern burbs are only 30 short minutes away!!!

I can't believe someone is comparing the variety of restaurants/bars in Dallas to Austin. uuuuggggg......

Old 05-05-2010, 11:30 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,273,708 times
Methinks eepstein and artsyguy must be the same person using two different accounts.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:40 PM

132 posts, read 224,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I'm sure I speak for Arstyguy as well when I tell you how deeply sorry we both are for having our own OPINION!!!!
I think that, for instance, when you mock someone's ability to read or criticize someone as inept or incompetent for not sharing your point of view, you sacrifice the privilege of having anything you say be respected as opinion.

Instead, people take it for what it is: Insulting, patronizing trolling.

For example, did you need to use the little facesmack graphic up there? Do you need to pretend like you are in on some joke that the entire rest of this forum is not?

As far as I'm concerned, what you do on this forum is essentially break the terms of service that you agreed to when you signed up. You don't do it once, you do it routinely, and mean-spiritedly.

There are a half dozen people who conduct themselves respectfully and suggest, every day on this forum, that someplace other than Austin has something better. So spare me your go-to nonsense. It is only by the graces of everyone here's generally good nature that you are not constantly reported for it. Which is a testament to the fine people of this forum's tolerance for totally inappropriate and counterproductive behavior.

What you should start doing is routinely thanking the frequent posters of this forum for their patience and for allowing you to act like a child.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:55 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,239,722 times
Austin is a cute little city, has a small town vibe to it. Dallas is a monster and a mega power in the United States with such a huge variety of offerings. I can see positive qualities in Austin but to put down Dallas is just not right. It deserves respect for what it is on a national and international level.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:31 AM

73 posts, read 217,253 times
I agree with R1070. I think both cities have something to offer, but they are very different types of cities. I think it would really depend on what someone was looking for as to which one they would prefer, and on their lifestyle.
For me, Austin was just a better fit. I can see how for some people, DFW would be preferable.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:40 AM

Yes. Some people prefer the intellectual big city vibe. Others prefer the small town vibe of Austin, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Austin is a cute little city, has a small town vibe to it. Dallas is a monster and a mega power in the United States with such a huge variety of offerings. I can see positive qualities in Austin but to put down Dallas is just not right. It deserves respect for what it is on a national and international level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin