U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-09-2007, 08:20 AM

52 posts, read 184,671 times
Default Natural predators that are dangerous to small dogs?

Moving to the Hill Country (Wimberley area) from the Pacific NW and I was wondering what possible natural predators we need to watch out for that may try and go after our small dogs in the Austin area. We don't let them run loose (so "cars" are not an issue") but they do play and sun outside unwatched in a fenced area here in the NW we need to be cautious about eagles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-09-2007, 08:26 AM

343 posts
HAWKS MY FRIEND HAWKS. We have a small chijuajua (sp). There is a particularly large hawk in the neighborhood that I am convinced knows where she lives. I often see it sitting on a fence post not 100 yards from my property line. Just this last week my wife was in the front yard and the dog was on the porch about 50 feet away. This huge bird slaps her wings down on the sidewalk behind my wife about 15 feet away or about 65 feet from the dog. I am convinced that hawk is laying for a taco.

Unread 06-09-2007, 10:02 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,775,452 times
I think coyotes would also be a real concern. I also found a Wimberley forum that mentions mountain lions:

mountain lions - Wimberley Valley Community Forums

I don't think it's something to overly worry about but to be aware for certain.

Unread 06-09-2007, 10:33 AM

2,640 posts
Definitely be on the lookout for rattlesnakes. A friend of mine had a little Chihuahua that was bitten by one and in spite of her rushing him to the vet, the little guy didn't make it.

I don't know if this is true, but someone I know said that large owls in Texas will even capture small dogs and kill them. It sounds weird.

Unread 06-09-2007, 01:09 PM

8,578 posts, read 14,751,222 times
That's pretty freaky to know! I've heard of people releasing exotic cats, but I though they were being recaptured...SCARY!

Unread 06-09-2007, 04:31 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,775,452 times
Yes, it's very scary. Imagine a full grown bengal tiger living in some local woods It's bad for the cats, bad for people, bad for pets! It's so incredibly irresponsible...I hope the punishment is severe!

Unread 06-09-2007, 06:46 PM

8,578 posts, read 14,751,222 times
If it's not, it should be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin