Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 04:05 PM

380 posts, read 639,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Agreed. Ever see photos of the crowds at ballgames from the 20's?
- people had style back then, and they were still the "working class".

Proper men wouldn't step out without a chapeau. We now accept ballcaps as commonplace - that's a hard slide.
I agree. The U.S. has gone casual to the point that people are out and about dressed as if they were in their own house.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 04:28 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,980,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
I agree. The U.S. has gone casual to the point that people are out and about dressed as if they were in their own house.

I don't even know anybody who dresses like that at home..
If that man had any decency, he would at least put on some pajamas.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,794,118 times
But I thought south congress had thrift stores, antique stores, and art venues? What do you mean by trendy? Victoria's Secret and Cheesecake factory?

http://austin.smallplanetguide.com/r...n_neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
If Factory People has been gone for that long, then I don't understand why it's still listed in the online yellow pages and Google Maps. I guess they don't update those sites enough.

I agree with you about South Congress being too trendy and touristy. I think it reached the unbearable point about 5 years ago, and the area just keeps getting more annoying. The only thing that keeps me going back there is Home Slice Pizza (thank goodness they have takeout). I'll stick to the less pretentious good shopping areas like North Burnet (just don't tell the hipsters about that one!).

Old 04-16-2010, 06:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,013,040 times
There are still local stores, antique stores, and art venues on South Congress but there are now more trendy, upscale restaurants, American Apparel took over Factory People's spot and a sexy underwear chain store replaced a local pet food/aquarium store.

Who was it who said, "oh, no one goes there anymore, it is too crowded." That sums up South Congress at the moment.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:52 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,751,574 times
I, for one, am extremely grateful for Austin's burgeoning hipster scene. While pretension is annoying, when it brings excellent food and drink, I don't really care. I am just back from happy hour at the East Side Show room on east 6th where I had the best charcuterie plate I have ever eaten in this town and one of the best gin martinis. Sure there was ungrammatical french on the blackboard and the steampunk aesthetic of the place looks Williamsburg wannabe, but the chef and bartender know what they are doing. A block away, the East Side Kings in the back of the Liberty Bar provide some of the best, if not the best Asian food in Austin for practically free, nothing is more then $8. The food and cocktails at The Good Knight are reliably excellent, and the neighboring Buenos Aires Cafe and Casa Columbia offer by far the best Latin American cuisine in the city. Without the hipsters, I doubt whether this culinary explosion on the close-in East Side would have happened. So while some may find the fashion of the hipsters deplorable, they have greatly added to the food offerings of our city, and while South Congress is still a fun place to hang out, the eating and drinking on East 6th street, is quite simply in another league of sophistication, experimentation, and most importantly, deliciousness. Plus parking is much easier, for now anyway.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 PM

648 posts, read 1,169,475 times
Wow... that is an awesome rock wall in post #3. Is that an old one built by German or Czech settlers, perhaps? (no hipsterish irony intended here.)

Old 04-16-2010, 10:30 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,794,118 times
I guess I consider myself a hipster. I didn't realize that a lot of people despised them.

And American Apparel is neat. Very liberal IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I, for one, am extremely grateful for Austin's burgeoning hipster scene. While pretension is annoying, when it brings excellent food and drink, I don't really care. I am just back from happy hour at the East Side Show room on east 6th where I had the best charcuterie plate I have ever eaten in this town and one of the best gin martinis. Sure there was ungrammatical french on the blackboard and the steampunk aesthetic of the place looks Williamsburg wannabe, but the chef and bartender know what they are doing. A block away, the East Side Kings in the back of the Liberty Bar provide some of the best, if not the best Asian food in Austin for practically free, nothing is more then $8. The food and cocktails at The Good Knight are reliably excellent, and the neighboring Buenos Aires Cafe and Casa Columbia offer by far the best Latin American cuisine in the city. Without the hipsters, I doubt whether this culinary explosion on the close-in East Side would have happened. So while some may find the fashion of the hipsters deplorable, they have greatly added to the food offerings of our city, and while South Congress is still a fun place to hang out, the eating and drinking on East 6th street, is quite simply in another league of sophistication, experimentation, and most importantly, deliciousness. Plus parking is much easier, for now anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
There are still local stores, antique stores, and art venues on South Congress but there are now more trendy, upscale restaurants, American Apparel took over Factory People's spot and a sexy underwear chain store replaced a local pet food/aquarium store.

Who was it who said, "oh, no one goes there anymore, it is too crowded." That sums up South Congress at the moment.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
There's a strong correlation between increasing hipster hate and the rise of the schlub. Discuss!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:11 PM

4,103 posts, read 6,998,040 times
Wear what you want, go where you want, eat where and what you want, drink where and what you want, think what you want, listen to whatever music you want, shop where you want. As long as you don't bother me, who the hell cares.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:12 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,766,087 times
I dont think Congress is hip enough. I think the City should set up bouncers at either end of the street and keep the uncool people out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin