U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2007, 05:30 PM

52 posts, read 195,380 times

Advertisements

A review of available real estate properties shows a large inventory of nice looking older homes in the 150-200K range... many look like a steal for being so close to Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 05:54 PM

8,633 posts, read 16,290,886 times
There's so much growth going on out this way, that many may be just looking at new homes going up. Although I think the older homes in Georgetown look a lot better, and aren't so cookie cutter. Real Estate also costs less East of 35. Anywhere East will have lots of homes in the 150 range.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:39 PM

969 posts, read 1,897,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david4455 View Post
A review of available real estate properties shows a large inventory of nice looking older homes in the 150-200K range... many look like a steal for being so close to Austin.
Well, I think many people would beg to differ on the 'so close to Austin' bit and that is what keeps prices down in Georgetown. If you work in Round Rock, Georgetown may be a great option, but if you work in Austin, Georgetown can seem a world away.

Just went to the Parade of Homes out in Georgetown (Cimmaron Hills I think), and the homes were nice and multi-million $$, but I had to laugh at the little promo signs that they had out front that said "Only 15 minutes to Austin". It's amazing that the house marketers think the crowd purchasing these expensive homes is gullible enough to believe that sign.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:18 PM

Really? More like 30-45 mins.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:47 PM

106 posts, read 353,374 times
It may be 15 minutes to Austin at midnight when there is absolutely no traffic but besides that try more like 45 or more.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 AM

No more than 45 minutes, but it's such a pretty town with some nice parks, and the San Gabriel River. Nice town center as well, with big, old victorian homes..resturaunts, shops, etc...

Old 06-11-2007, 12:58 PM

118 posts, read 404,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david4455 View Post
We moved to Georgetown about 7 months ago. We like it here just fine, but it's not really as close to Austin as it looks on the map. My bf works in Austin, near where the 183 and MoPac meet. He gets there in about 20 minutes in the early morning (no traffic), but it takes him more like 30-35 minutes to get home -- longer if there's an accident. He takes the new toll road part of the way back now, and he said that shaves at least 10 minutes off his time. I'm sure it would take at least 45 minutes to get to downtown Austin in traffic - maybe longer, I dunno. Still, if you're used to commuting in a large city, 45 minutes is probably not bad at all.

Other than not being so close to Austin, Georgetown has a lot going for it. The lake, park, river area is very nice. There's plenty of shopping and restaurants in town, the downtown square and historic district is interesting (esp. if you are into Victorian-type homes), and there is lots of new stuff being built now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin