U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Unread 08-10-2007, 07:02 PM
 
Location: West Austin
4,721 posts, read 8,659,727 times
Reputation: 3133
Quote:
Trader Joes is an unusually different type of grocery store that carries items created and sold by the company itself. If someone has a craving for one of their specialty items, it is hard to satisfy if you don't live near one.
I checked out the website. Looks like a place for foodies and people who love to cook?

It's probably one of my many shortcomings that I'm out of touch with the appreciation of excellent shopping experiences.
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 08-11-2007, 12:02 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
2,319 posts, read 4,777,120 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I checked out the website. Looks like a place for foodies and people who love to cook?

It's probably one of my many shortcomings that I'm out of touch with the appreciation of excellent shopping experiences.
Pretty much. A friend of mine who is an ex-chef(burn-out), works for Trader Joe's and doesn't understand why everybody doesn't shop there. While I like the store and agree they have some cool items, shopping there is supremely annoying to me. Always stuffed to the gills with over-zealous folks trying to get their case of 1.29 convenience meals

Sarcasm aside, it's a pretty cool place that seems to operate like a responsible, growth oriented enterprise whose employees seem to really enjoy working for them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-11-2007, 10:14 AM
 
Location: The Miami Of Canada
1,044 posts, read 2,406,706 times
Reputation: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Many people in RR want more of the type of thing you want, so perhaps you can help bring it there. At the risk of once again enraging a certain hyper-defensive RR resident, I'd like to point out that Round Rock and central Austin are worlds apart in terms of culture. There IS a food co-op, several natural foods grocers, a pair of Central Markets, countless specialty food stores and several farmers' markets. You want that lifestyle? Don't move to a generic suburb.

I'm glad you posted this, as I was told by several people that I should look at property in Round Rock. I don't want to make the mistake of moving to a "generic suburb" (well put!) so this information is really helpful! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-11-2007, 10:18 AM
 
Location: The Miami Of Canada
1,044 posts, read 2,406,706 times
Reputation: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Always stuffed to the gills with over-zealous folks trying to get their case of 1.29 convenience meals
That is the one downfall of Trader Joes. The aisles are very narrow and items are stocked too close to them.

HEB sounds interesting. Are these stores only in Texas?
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-11-2007, 10:21 AM
 
Location: The Miami Of Canada
1,044 posts, read 2,406,706 times
Reputation: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I checked out the website. Looks like a place for foodies and people who love to cook?
Very true. If you are one who is not satisfied with simple meals, it's a foodie paradise.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-11-2007, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
2,319 posts, read 4,777,120 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
That is the one downfall of Trader Joes. The aisles are very narrow and items are stocked too close to them.

HEB sounds interesting. Are these stores only in Texas?
When we were down there in July to look for an apartment, my wife and I checked out the nearest HEB(Here Everything's Better). For the most part, it's an ordinary supermarket where ordinary folks go to shop. However, we thought they had a very nice health food/organic section. Items were very well organized and we found most of the stuff we're used to getting at our current grocery store here in Cleveland. Prices seemed pretty good as well. Actually, a bit cheaper than here It is not a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Co-op etc... It is a local grocery store. But I thought their alternative choices were very acceptable.

And yes, Texas only:

H-E-B Grocery Stores
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-11-2007, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,231 posts, read 2,459,700 times
Reputation: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
...I was told by several people that I should look at property in Round Rock. I don't want to make the mistake of moving to a "generic suburb" (well put!) so this information is really helpful! Thanks!
You're welcome, but you should really look around before depending on anyone else's opinion. I've known a lot of very groovy people who have been content to live in Round Rock. If you work there, then you should live there. But I must emphasize that this is a metro area, and it has a LOT of variety. Where you live will determine your experience of "Austin." It's like Los Angeles --- you can go from one neighborhood to the next and you're in a completely different world. I honestly think that LA is so diverse, almost anyone on the planet could be happy there IF they choose the right neighborhood.

The problem is that people choose an entire metro area and think of it as all being one, but it's not. Some people like sunny houses on a hill, others like shaded houses in a canyon. You have to find the area that suits you best and you will NEVER know what will work for you based on a forum, you have to experience it for yourself. That's my 2 cents and it ain't worth a penny more.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-11-2007, 10:56 AM
 
8,241 posts, read 9,490,487 times
Reputation: 3528
Where you live will determine your experience of "Austin."

Couldn't agree with you more. Austin may be a small city, but there is incredible variety in terms of what's here. The big box suburbs, the funky city-burbs, the lofts downtown, etc are all VERY different. To those moving here, come see it for yourself, don't rely on the boards or the rankings in national magazines or the hype. Be honest with yourself about what you want. Understand that the 'cheap' (relative to CA, I guess) real estate is in the suburbs...not the 'cool. funky' Austin you read about in the magazines.
Come visit, spend some time with a good real estate agent and drive around. Get a feel for where you would work relative to where you want to live.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-11-2007, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Everywhere
1,921 posts, read 742,997 times
Reputation: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
When we were down there in July to look for an apartment, my wife and I checked out the nearest HEB(Here Everything's Better). For the most part, it's an ordinary supermarket where ordinary folks go to shop. However, we thought they had a very nice health food/organic section. Items were very well organized and we found most of the stuff we're used to getting at our current grocery store here in Cleveland. Prices seemed pretty good as well. Actually, a bit cheaper than here It is not a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Co-op etc... It is a local grocery store. But I thought their alternative choices were very acceptable.

And yes, Texas only:

H-E-B Grocery Stores
HEB is very kid friendly, they give my 5 year old play money that he can save up and get prizes. I traded with the one in Pflugerville. Super nice people. They have a huge display of BBQs or Smokers (what ever), I thought they were a patio store when I first drove by. THe H E B stands for Herbert (something) Butts...I would have changed it too, who wants to be a Butt.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 08-11-2007, 11:18 AM
 
Location: SoCal
2,262 posts, read 4,071,252 times
Reputation: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Come visit, spend some time with a good real estate agent and drive around. Get a feel for where you would work relative to where you want to live.
Austin sounds like the greatest place ever, on paper. My husband & I are flying there at the end of this month with the hopes of moving there.

Can you recommend some places to drive to and check out to get a good "feel" for Austin? And also, can you recommend a good real estate agent? Someone who knows Austin pretty well and won't try to pressure us into a "cookie cutter" house?

Also, I've heard the term "Big Box" as in "big box stores" and "big box suburbs". What does that mean, exactly? At first, I thought everyone in Texas really liked to buy boxes or something!

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top