Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 02:17 AM

98 posts, read 485,911 times

Advertisements

Firstly...Welcome as soon as you get your butt down here

The burb v. city this is pretty big here mainly because of the traffic issues they create and that when Austin first began to really "change" in character it was the burbs that were attracting all of the "non-Austin thinking folk". We(Austin citizens) understand we just wish it was different. People who live in the city don't like the idea of people wanting to live in the "country" but work in the city because of the waste it creates while at the same time we gripe about too many people moving to town or any new development. Go figure. Its also fairly infuriating albeit commical to hear people from gated communities on our outskirts complain about how Austin is growing into their town..."we bought here because we did not want to live in a busy city and five years later here it is"... surprise, surprise

Really its ~90% tounge in cheek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
...AND I guess I am probably being pointed at as the "hypersensitive RR person" - but in my defense, I have received lots of positive rep for my comments regarding Harvester's snobbish central Austin elitism
I'm one of the people who gave you props. I have a very strange mind, but I actually clicked the "rate this post positively" link when I read your personal attack against me. I believe in turning the other cheek but I often fail at that when my own feelings get out of control, as you've surely seen in posts and PMs.

Yes, of course you're the hyper-sensitive RR resident I was referring to. I became very defensive after your attack against me for being "full of myself" because I said that Austin wasn't near a beach. Your inference that my comments about beaches had some connection to my being a South Austin elitist hipster snob, that was when I realized you had snapped and I needed to tread with caution. I have highly negative opinions about car-dependent corporate-developer-created suburbs and I fully expect many people to get angry with me, considering the fact that most people seem to CHOOSE those suburbs. Obviously I'm fighting an uphill battle.

And if you think I'm elitist, you should see my apartment. 400 square feet with a couple cheap pieces of used furniture, a really nice patio garden because I love plants, a dog who won't live another year, and a back that is in screaming pain 24/7. I can live with your labels of me. Bring it on. I'll still buy you lunch, I have nothing against anyone here, I just love spirited debate and I welcome dissenting opinions. Your harsh defense of your suburban lifestyle seems like a cover for the fact that you're not happy with your location. Otherwise you wouldn't have introduced yourself to this forum as someone who hangs out at Ruta Maya and Shady Grove --- i.e., my neighborhood.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I think we're arguing, but not FIGHTING... I could be known as the hypersensitive Hutto person here, too. We just love where we're at and like to say it. But some of the "suburbs" out here like to think they're autonomous, and don't want to be wholly parasites to the host body (which I laughed out loud atretty funny!) I know, at least here in Hutto, the EDC and City Council are trying to do things to lure businesses and developments that will make people want to stay here and work here, and not have to rely on Austin as the primary place to work. Hence, the Hutto 400, light manufacturing and such. Taylor is doing this as well with the railroad and a freight center.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:00 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
I don't get all the arguments about the city of Austin verses the suburbs. I thought this was the town of live and let live? There are SO MANY threads where this argument is brought up. I just don't get it. Everyone has different needs. What's good for a 24 year old single person is not always good for an older couple trying to raise a family, or for a person who has horses. Why not just live and let live...like "Austin" is so famous for?
It's a common misconception that the only people who live in urban areas are "24 year-old singles" and that everyone in the suburbs are "an older couple trying to raise a family". Some people actually prefer cities. Some people prefer suburbs. Both for different reasons. If a city is healthy, well designed and with good schools, I can't imagine a more wonderful place to raise children. Especially that age between 11 and 16? Where you can't drive but you don't want to be around your parents all the time There are so many useful and interesting places for them to explore:museums, libraries, curiosity shops, cafes, parks, different people. You can learn so much about the world on a grander scale. And they can do it without having to have mom cart them around everywhere. Seems to me a good way to develop a healthy independent citizen. Are there dangers when your kids are out on their own? Absolutely. There are dangers everywhere. I think I would be more worried about my kid driving than walking around a populated city.

I think reason this subject is so charged is that many feel that given the situation we find ourselves in as a species(soaring population, wider gap between haves and have-nots, energy depletion, climate change, etc...) it just makes sense to try and encourage people and developers to focus on pedestrian friendly, urban development to try and discourage our wastefulness in terms of car dependency. The problem with a lot of suburbs(not all by the way) is that developers still use the same old car-based model. The streets are the same width, houses are set back from the sidewalk the same amount of distance, double-wide driveways...all that stuff caters to car dependency. Not to mention the huge useless front lawns that need to be mowed, sprayed and watered(most people NEVER use their front yards).

You can tell when you are in a neighborhood that was designed around pedestrians. There are sidewalks, and the scale is such that you can only appreciate it at a slower pace(walking or biking). The fact that most Central Austin neighborhoods don't have sidewalks is a huge downer for me - even in South Austin where I'll be living. If you're in a car, you move too fast, even at slower speeds to really take in your surroundings. The reason big box stores are in suburbs, is because they are designed with cars in mind. Hence the giant parking lots. The scale is such that you see everything you need to see from your car traveling at a faster rate. Physics really

I'm not anti-car. I love to drive for leisure, travel and heavy shopping. But I am anti-waste and I think too many suburbs cater too much to that kind of living. It's a balance thing.

BTW, I grew up in a car suburb. I had a good childhood but I attribute that to my parents and our healthy home. When I moved out of their house, I went to an older streetcar suburb that was designed in the 1920s. Main streets with mixed use buildings, old and young, wealthy and poor etc...and for me, it was an epiphany. I prefer my cities straight up...and the country left as such. I really don't see this as being elitism. Is that a judgement? Sure. I think of most opinions that way.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:49 AM

98 posts, read 485,911 times
Sprawl is inherently bad and Texas is the worst of the bunch. I agree with twange in that I too want to keep the country the country. I grew up here and loved that I live in a city where there was real wildlife 10 minuites outside the city limits. The burbs are killing this. I love the country but I have no business living there unless I am going to pursue a true country lifestyle. The natives of those small towns hate it too but need the money in order to stave off the inevitability of being swallowed by Austin.

Just for the record there are a few that have done a good job of balancing their need to par tof the sprawl and their desire to remain small-town. Hutto is one of these mainly because of its too far off 35 location which is about to change. Bastrop was one too but it seem that is all changing now. Noticed lots of empty houses there last time I rolled through town.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:59 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Yep, Hutto is just enough out of the way that it hasn't had to worry about being swallowed up, but now with the toll road, they realize that this is changing. But just speaking for myself only, while I'm in town here, I walk everywhere and ride my bike wherever possible. Part of this is because I accidentally happened to move near where all the development is going on. (It was all fields when I moved in). It seems like such a waste to drive a few blocks for something, or even a few miles. The only time I drive is when I go to the grocery store (since grocery stores seem to think of Hutto as some kind of commercial void), or to do something in RR or Austin.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:36 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Yep, Hutto is just enough out of the way that it hasn't had to worry about being swallowed up...
Hutto... is that in Northeast Austin, East Round Rock, Southeast Georgetown, or South Temple? I get them mixed up. Doesn't really matter, we're all part of the Dallas-San Antonio megalopolis.

Too bad UT already took the "hook 'em" slogan. I think "Hook 'em Hippos!" would be way better than "Hook em Horns!"

Doncha think? No? Why are those men in white coats coming towards me with a long needle and a..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................... ........

Old 08-12-2007, 09:57 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
I rest my case. Someone IS hypersensitive and it's not me. My evidence? My toungue-in-cheek, making fun of myself, response to a forum member's constant attacks of me (making such a comment as above, on several different threads currently active), and his "in-response" run on tirade and continuing attacks.

Whatever. Live where you want. I just got back from Sandy's and that was some damn good custard.

Reason number #10 not to move to Austin : City Dwelling vs. Suburban Living arguements. I have lived in two major metropolitan areas and have NEVER experienced such bad attitudes and negativity regarding this subject as here. What do we call it? Dwellism? Residism? Citism? Whatever it is - it's stupid... especially from someone who has only lived here since the 90's and came from California.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:09 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I rest my case. Someone IS hypersensitive and it's not me. My evidence? My toungue-in-cheek, making fun of myself, response to a forum member's constant attacks of me (making such a comment as above, on several different threads currently active), and his "in-response" run on tirade and continuing attacks.

Whatever. Live where you want. I just got back from Sandy's and that was some damn good custard.

Reason number #10 not to move to Austin : City Dwelling vs. Suburban Living arguements. I have lived in two major metropolitan areas and have NEVER experienced such bad attitudes and negativity regarding this subject as here. What do we call it? Dwellism? Residism? Citism? Whatever it is - it's stupid... especially from someone who has only lived here since the 90's and came from California.
Frozen Custard? Looking for good Frozen Custard...wife and I looking for the ultimate frozen custard.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:11 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
We went here tonight.

The Austin Chronicle: Sandy's Frozen Custard & Root Beer

Good stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin