Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 08:59 PM

277 posts, read 1,298,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele_krall View Post
So, you better be in high tech and a pothead.
Got it!

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 08:54 AM

7 posts, read 27,642 times
I have lived in the south (deep south) all my life. So, to me, Christians here in Austin seem so liberal. Also, my next door neighbor is Hindu. To me it is fascinating living in a
southern town with such a diverse population. All the different religions and cultures here in Austin certainly has enriched my life. The opportunity to take informal classes is enriching my life.
My husband and I love to dance. We take lessons. There are some of the best dance
studios you can find here in Austin. Great Venues to practice dancind is a real asset.
We enjoy the many opportunities for day trips to small towns settled by German, Swiss and Czech populations.
No we don't have an ocean or mountains. But it is so easy to fly to the Yuchatan for georgeous beaches or fly to your favorite ski resort. Then come back to a town that
in Austin.
I am sorry if you don't get Austin. I have met many people that don't. But those of
us that do enjoy the energy here produced by well, educated people that relish the
old hippie mentality that lingers, small music venues (much cooler than big acts in a large auditorium), a tolerance for different lifestyles (remember I am from the Bible
Belt), some really weird people of which people celebrate their weirdness, some really weird celebrations for people with a sense of humor.
You have to lighten up, read the chronicle and the XL, visit Austin 360.com and just
enjoy. And if you don't like different, how boring life must be for you.

southern grace

Old 12-23-2007, 02:49 PM

38 posts, read 105,117 times
Do not do it! Austin is very overrated and overpriced! Coming from the PNW the scenery will not compare for one second! Choose a different place! Trust me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by david4455 View Post
We live up in the Pacific NW and are seriously considering relocating to the Hill Country or southern 'burbs of Austin.

Everything I have heard and read says "go for it".

Please share with me some reasons why NOT to move to Austin. What did you discover after you moved that you wish you had known before.....

Thanks.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:53 AM

49 posts, read 126,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticOm View Post
Maybe L.A. has spoiled me, but I just wasn't that impressed. Everyone I met there who was a native talked about it like it's the greatest place on earth, and it always seems to be on the lists for top places to live. I guess I just don't get it. Like someone else pointed out, everything is relative. Good luck.
You had a laundry list of complaints, some valid, most silly. Not sure whats so great about LA, its just a smog filled soulless mess of over priced wildfire earthquake waiting to happen sprawl IMHO.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 10,650 times
"I am sorry if you don't get Austin. I have met many people that don't. But those of
us that do enjoy the energy here produced by well, educated people that relish the
old hippie mentality that lingers, small music venues (much cooler than big acts in a large auditorium), a tolerance for different lifestyles (remember I am from the Bible
Belt), some really weird people of which people celebrate their weirdness, some really weird celebrations for people with a sense of humor.
You have to lighten up, read the chronicle and the XL, visit Austin 360.com and just
enjoy. And if you don't like different, how boring life must be for you."~"Southern Grace"

This place has no energy. The "educated" people here don't seem any more intelligent than other places and all they like to do is drink. It's booring! That last statement you made in your quote, southern grace, was far from gracious. Maybe you need to get out of your comfort zone of being in the south and go live somewhere else where they have a life and they Really know how to live! I have lived in the deep south, the west coast and the east coast. I didn't realize a place could be so boring until I moved to Austin. Even the deep south was a lot more fun than here. There are not very many good restaurants here. The people here who call themselves hippies are wanna be hippies. They don't even look like one or act like one. They think they're a hippy because of smoking weed. You find A LOT more real hippies and diversity in the west than you do here. The old music scene here is dying and poor quality. I haven't seen any weirdness or enough diversity to keep me entertained. Austin isn't weird. It's a bunch of people who are really into their jobs because the economy out here is good. This is the land of entrepreneurers and high tech people.
Very few people out here are solid as christians. A lot of the churches here are either dying or highly watered down or dry.
As far as recreation, who wants to waste money flying to a ski resort when in a lot places it's not that far of a drive. I can't wait for more people from California to move here, take over and give it a heartbeat and a personality. There is a strong prejudice against people from California out here. I can't wait until the Texans out here are outnumbered.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:39 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgrl View Post
"I am sorry if you don't get Austin. I have met many people that don't. But those of
enjoy. And if you don't like different, how boring life must be for you."~"Southern Grace"

This place has no energy. The "educated" people here don't seem any more intelligent than other places and all they like to do is drink. It's booring! That last statement you made in your quote, southern grace, was far from gracious. Maybe you need to get out of your comfort zone of being in the south and go live somewhere else where they have a life and they Really know how to live! I have lived in the deep south, the west coast and the east coast. I didn't realize a place could be so boring until I moved to Austin. Even the deep south was a lot more fun than here. There are not very many good restaurants here. The people here who call themselves hippies are wanna be hippies. They don't even look like one or act like one. They think they're a hippy because of smoking weed. You find A LOT more real hippies and diversity in the west than you do here. The old music scene here is dying and poor quality. I haven't seen any weirdness or enough diversity to keep me entertained. Austin isn't weird. It's a bunch of people who are really into their jobs because the economy out here is good. This is the land of entrepreneurers and high tech people.
Very few people out here are solid as christians. A lot of the churches here are either dying or highly watered down or dry.
As far as recreation, who wants to waste money flying to a ski resort when in a lot places it's not that far of a drive. I can't wait for more people from California to move here, take over and give it a heartbeat and a personality. There is a strong prejudice against people from California out here. I can't wait until the Texans out here are outnumbered.
'Bye, and don't let the door hit ya! Seriously....why are you still here in a place this is so 'boring'? Being single and all, I can't imagine why you don't find someplace better. I would.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:55 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgrl View Post

Why don't you just move to California? There's a lot of prejudice against people from California because of statements like this:

Quote:
I can't wait for more people from California to move here, take over and give it a heartbeat and a personality. There is a strong prejudice against people from California out here. I can't wait until the Texans out here are outnumbered.
Here's your sign.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:57 AM

19 posts, read 58,333 times
I'll give you one,

Texas is the worst state in the U.S.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:46 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Purely an opinion and one of which I would disagree with. Having once lived relatively close to skiing, I can tell you that driving in all the tourist traffic to get to said place is no picnic, so proximity doesn't mean too much when you're sitting on the road in traffic for 5 or 6 hours and you only live 45 minutes to an hour away. And if an accident happens, hope your car is stocked with goodies for the campout! I agree with nativedallasite above. Unless californians move here and don't turn it into California junior, I'm just fine with them. But Texas is Texas and I like it that way. If I wanted California, then that's where I'd go.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:46 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
Default Coming in late to the party - again.

I really like Austin, but it does have its downsides. I'm trying to think like someone from the PNW here. Okay, here ya go:

1. The heat. You won't like it. My S.O. is from Humboldt, and he won't even go outside during the day in the summer months. Takes a few years to adapt.

2. The traffic is insane. Everywhere in the city, not just on I-35 or Mopac. Everywhere.

3. This is a big one: Unless you have a desirable skill set or are a successful entrepreneur, it's hard to find a good-paying job in Austin. Salaries have DEFINITELY not kept up with the cost of living.

4. The cool "old Austin" neighborhoods are prohibitively expensive, unless you have three or four roommates and don't mind doubling up on bedrooms. You might end up in the 'burbs, in which case, why move to Austin?

5. The suburbs with their hideous, boring McMansions and "meh" schools. Gawd, these BLOW. These suck the life right out of Austin.

6. Overrated music scene. Austin is the "Music Capital of the World!" Yeah? No one outside of Austin seems to think so. There is some good music, but there's just as much bad.

7. The routine closing of major thoroughfares in downtown for such things as the Pecan Street Festival, ACL, Trail of Lights, etc. As though traffic's not bad enough!

8. ACL and SXSW. Two times a year, the city is infested with out of towners who crowd every restaurant and make the driving experience even more of a nightmare. This is the time to LEAVE TOWN.

9. Idiot bikers who pedal on the road at 10 MPH, again, holding up traffic. They make me crazy, and I'm always afraid I'm going to hit one, being that they bike at night with only a couple of reflectors.

10. I have to be honest - when I was single and dating, it was hard to meet mature men. I think that the singles in this town are quite a bit behind the bell curve - they all seem to think that they're spring chickens, even when they're pushing 40. It's kinda creepy. I found myself a Cally boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin