Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 01:50 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtexastiger View Post
(3) .... venues, full of pretentious ex-hippies and post-graduate hipsters all fawning over how their lives are complete now that they live in Austin or have lived their since the mid-70's and never held a real job.

(5) Texas - I am a native, and I love my state most of the time, but good God, Austin, we know you are in Texas, so shut up.

(7) ... Even god-forsaken Houston has light rail.
These are some of the things that really aggravated me when I lived there. Especially the attitude that Austin is the only worthwhile place in the state to live, and that Houston is some kind of craphole. Both myths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 01:54 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
These are some of the things that really aggravated me when I lived there. Especially the attitude that Austin is the only worthwhile place in the state to live, and that Houston is some kind of craphole. Both myths.
my favorite spot in Texas was that place they put the "Leaving Texas" sign. Ah that memory was so sweet. I actually cried tears of joy.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:12 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Default meta-austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Ditto. Reason #1 why I would never live there. Too much 'tude, too much in love with itself for no good reason that I can see. It may be a great place in Texas, but there are great places outside of Texas, too. You'd think Austin was the only place on earth the way some Austinites talk.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:08 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I have to 3rd houstoner and AK. I do like Austin, but as for it being the be all and end all of every place in Texas, I disagree. There are lots of cool places around the State.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:20 PM

9 posts, read 63,277 times
I have read this post and peoples responses but some tips I would like to contribute. There is a lot of good things about Austin that some people have not mentioned and some things not so good that have not been mentioned.

Some good things:
Music - not just live music but the radio. It is diverse and KGSR is always on the cutting edge.
Liberal- The rest of Texas is very conservative and so goes the general policies of the state, everyone in Texas HATES Austin and it's liberalness, although they all come here to party!
Youth Oriented- People here are very full of youthfulness and fresh ideas.
Enviroment-Austin is very pretty but not compared to the NW. There are lots of parks and lakes, rivers, etc. Barton Springs is a big plus!
Intelligent People- People here are smart, they love read and keep up with what is going on in the world. You can have a friendly intelligent conversation just about anywhere with just about anyone.
Healthy Food- there is healthy food everywhere!

Now the bad news:

The cost of living is very high, wages are low. There are a few people making a good living but they are few and many of these new comers take advantage of the unlimited supply of young people who are willing to work very hard for very little.

There is lots to do-live music, festivals, etc. but you have to realize that there are so many UT college brats who take over, over indulge and ruin the party sometimes you wish you could find a student free venue to just have fun! This is also been a boom town for several years and it has attracted some very unsavory characters, be careful who you make friends with.

There are too many California snobs! They want to turn Austin into LA. They are driving up the cost of living and forcing their views on us Texans in a negative way. Example: There use to be a couple of outdoor music venues around downtown that were open air and dirt floors, no setting and just beer and wine. Low cover charge, smoking was ok and it was very relaxed and happy. They are gone and replaced by upscale music houses that are over priced and regimented-no fun at all!

If you are not in your 20's or 30's don't think you will enjoy it here you won't. This has become a very youth oriented town and over 40 is not welcome! No matter how qualified you are for a job they will hire someone younger.

This is a major party town. Any drug is readily available anywhere. That is the main reason I moved. My youngest daughter was a honor student, she often complained about the drugs everywhere in her school (Bowie) she got involed with the wrong guy at the wrong time and barely finished high school. She is now serving a felony probation and is walking the line. Do not attemped to raise HS age kids here they will have problems with drugs and alcohol. It is everywhere, it is unavoidable and it will shock you how fast their lives and yours will come to an end. After 20K in legal fees we may get her record expunged.....yikes.

Do not believe all the hype about Austin. There is a down side.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:28 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Ditto. Reason #1 why I would never live there. Too much 'tude, too much in love with itself for no good reason that I can see. It may be a great place in Texas, but there are great places outside of Texas, too. You'd think Austin was the only place on earth the way some Austinites talk.
I agree completely, I live in Austin and I like it here but almost every time I have wanted to move it was because of that.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
If you are not in your 20's or 30's don't think you will enjoy it here you won't. This has become a very youth oriented town and over 40 is not welcome!

Oh, darn, you mean for the last 20 years since I was 40 I've been thinking I was enjoying it here and having a grand old time and I wasn't? Who knew? Glad you set me straight on that one.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:00 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formeraustinite View Post
My youngest daughter was a honor student, she often complained about the drugs everywhere in her school (Bowie) she got involed with the wrong guy at the wrong time and barely finished high school. She is now serving a felony probation and is walking the line. Do not attemped to raise HS age kids here they will have problems with drugs and alcohol. It is everywhere, it is unavoidable and it will shock you how fast their lives and yours will come to an end. After 20K in legal fees we may get her record expunged.....yikes.
I don't know the story, but how is this any fault of the community around you? There were drugs where I went to high school, as well as many people in the "wrong crowd", but I never let it affect me. You can't automatically conclude that every kid raised here is going to run into trouble just because there is trouble around. Austin is a lot safer and much more low-key than many other cities in the nation.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
heres a good reason...your American Currency isnt going to worth anything, and you wont be able to get a loan, and the moving truck you drive will run out of gas and your wont find as gas station. Thats just a few new ones no one else thought of

Old 09-29-2008, 10:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I don't know the story, but how is this any fault of the community around you? There were drugs where I went to high school, as well as many people in the "wrong crowd", but I never let it affect me. You can't automatically conclude that every kid raised here is going to run into trouble just because there is trouble around. Austin is a lot safer and much more low-key than many other cities in the nation.
I was wondering that myself, having raised two kids to adulthood in Austin and the surrounding area.

There's drugs in all of the schools (and have been for at least the last 45 years, back to when I was in high school), in Austin and elsewhere (including tiny country town schools - can't blame it on Austin or even "big city schools"). There've been "wrong crowds" in high schools pretty much as long as there've been high schools, I think. However, most kids don't get into the kind of trouble described here, even so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin