Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times

Advertisements

I would ask the vet about shaving a dog down. At least for some breeds, the coat helps cool down hot air before it hits their skin since they can't sweat to keep cool. Shaving them down prevents this from happening and they are actually more likely to suffer heatstroke as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 10:04 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Most dogs do fine outside, make sure they have shade and drinking water, though.

Also, careful about soaking down a long hair dog, thinking that you are doing them a favor. It can actually add to the insulation and contribute to heat problems. A pool works well, though, since they can re-cool as they need to.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:05 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
As long as a dog will use a pool...mine won't.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 AM

515 posts, read 1,396,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
I would ask the vet about shaving a dog down. At least for some breeds, the coat helps cool down hot air before it hits their skin since they can't sweat to keep cool. Shaving them down prevents this from happening and they are actually more likely to suffer heatstroke as a result.
I have to agree. My dog is a Havanese, It's advised that the longer coat keeps her cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Also some breeds if you you shave to short can sunburn.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:01 AM

372 posts, read 1,149,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Generally though dogs prefer to be outside than in.
I have 2 dogs. We leave both inside when we are not at home. My older lab/shepherd mix can't wait to go outside and would probably be happier if she was outside all the time. However, my 1 1/2 year old lab/husky/akita mix (we are not really sure what he is) prefers to be inside unless he really has to go or he sees a rabbit. We open the door to go outside and my older dog darts out while our younger dog just looks at us with his sad eyes like do I really have to go outside, it is nice and cool in here and the couch is so comfortable.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 AM

130 posts, read 386,503 times
Kiddie pool - simple answer. I have a boxer, and he just loves it. Another idea will be to turn the sprinkler on (if you have) for say 10 mins or so, a couple of times, so the dog gets some water. I know water dogs , like labs LOVE the sprinklers..so is mine!. If you have some shade + kiddie pool,u should be just fine. Make sure to change the water everyday (including the potable water for dog).

Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 PM

7 posts, read 12,917 times
I think it's cruel to leave a dog outside when the owners aren't home. In addition to the dog's safety, I would worry about him barking incessantly and disturbing the neighbors.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:20 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,029 times
No. It gets way too hot here especially for this type of dog. You must go with a dog door, air conditioned dog house or dog day care. PLEASE don't leave your dog outside, even with a bowl of water (they'd go through it fast too). I think 85 is borderline for leaving a dog, especially a dense furry dog, outside.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:40 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyhaben View Post
I think it's cruel to leave a dog outside when the owners aren't home. In addition to the dog's safety, I would worry about him barking incessantly and disturbing the neighbors.
My dog just chills out when we are gone on a patio chair in the shade. She doesn't bark at all when outside. She has a few water dishes available to her but she just prefers to sleep in the shade and chase the occasional bird.

Why is it cruel? As long as there is shade and water available the dog is pretty darn happy outside.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:56 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
No one thinks their dogs bark when they are not at home. My neighbors are always mystified that people call noise complaints into the cops because their dogs are "little angels". 9 Hours is a long time to leave anything alone, whether it be an animal or a child or whatever.

It's like people who insist they don't snore.

I often work at home, and the cacophany of dogs barking in my neighborhood during the middle of the day is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: