Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:27 AM

100 posts, read 257,177 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Longhorn football is like a religion here (even more so than the Lakers/Dodgers nonsense I endured in southern California). When I lived in South Austin, I'd see entire families dressed up in Longhorn gear on Sundays.

(I guess the only thing I can compare it to was living in Nebraska in the early 1990s when all of Lincoln would be red and white on game days.)

I don't like how college football (college sports in general, really) is now akin to playing pro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:58 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS Transplant View Post
Oh, there're TONS of *cough cough* pro sports teams in Austin! Why, there's UT football, UT basketball, UT golf, UT tennis, UT badminton, UT underwater basketweaving, etc, etc! AND DON'T TELL PEOPLE THERE that those aren't pro sports teams! They're on the level of N.Y., L.A., Hong Kong, London AND Paris COMBINED! Realistically, they support anything and EVERYTHING (with absolutely ZERO knowledge of anything outside Texas) in Texas. Most fans come from the camps of the Cowboys and Spurs, with the Rangers and Mavericks after that. DO NOT mention anything outside the state of Texas! If you do, your "Right to Be Treated with Courtesy as a Human Being" card will be instantly revoked. 3 years of personal experience there talking. What a nightmare!
Although I think much of what you say about UT sports is only a slight exaggeration - I think you are wrong about out of state pro teams. There are many people here who hate the Cowboys. And there are many Steelers, Packers, Saints, etc. fans in Austin. If you are suffering because of your support of an out of state team, you must have a really big mouth.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,253,648 times
Austin will never get a pro sports team. However, since the Kings appear to be leaving Sacramento, Austin no longer has the dubious distinction of being the largest metro area in the nation with no professional sports teams.

The silly college football Longhorn obcession in this town and like nothing i've ever seen anywhere in the country. (like so many other things that keep Austin wierd) I think a lot of it has to do with trying to overcompensate for no pro sports teams, and some of it has to do with "nothing else to do but drink beer and follow the Longhorns". Combination of the two I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Although I think much of what you say about UT sports is only a slight exaggeration - I think you are wrong about out of state pro teams. There are many people here who hate the Cowboys. And there are many Steelers, Packers, Saints, etc. fans in Austin. If you are suffering because of your support of an out of state team, you must have a really big mouth.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:07 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
Quote:
Yes hoffdano, there are quite a few Cowboy haters in Austin. Just the same as there are many Eagles haters in NYC. The point was, is that they're knowledgable about the Cowboys. They follow what they're doing, regardless if they're a fan. The Texans are gaining some ground with their recent success, as are the Rangers, but the Cowboys and Spurs are still the 2 teams in Austin that most people know something about, pro wise. For good and bad. And I agree with waitress as well. I'm an Ohio St. fan, was a student there in 95. But the way college sports in general has been thoroughly corrupted by greed, rape, payoffs, etc., it's sickening. As for UT Town getting a pro sport, I'd bet that it would be MLS first, if anything. Both Salt Lake and Columbus have a major D-1 school, and both have MLS teams. Both teams play in the D-1 football stadium, and both's metro areas are similar in tv market to Austin. Throw in the 20-25 percent Latino populace and that looks like the best bet for them. eepstein, I'm new, and have read several of your posts. You're sharp. Keep it up!
You need to read more of eepstein's posts.

As for college sports....yup it is descending to hell, and the two schools leading the way unfortunately are UT (Texas) and Ohio St. They spend the most money and let little get in the way.

As for MLS - if there is money to be made, it will show up. For now though I am happy that Austin will have one of two Formula 1 tracks in the USA.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:34 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,040,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Austin will never get a pro sports team. However, since the Kings appear to be leaving Sacramento, Austin no longer has the dubious distinction of being the largest metro area in the nation with no professional sports teams.

The silly college football Longhorn obcession in this town and like nothing i've ever seen anywhere in the country. (like so many other things that keep Austin wierd) I think a lot of it has to do with trying to overcompensate for no pro sports teams, and some of it has to do with "nothing else to do but drink beer and follow the Longhorns". Combination of the two I guess.
columbus

Old 02-13-2012, 03:20 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,761,655 times
Lol, man this thread has gotten awesome today!

LDS, you and eepstein are indeed two peas. I'm curious though, what in your obviously limited experience in Austin has led you to confidently judge an entire fanbase's knowledge of football? I can't tell if you genuinely think Buckeye fans have any more overall knowledge of football than Longhorn fans or if you're just trolling..

EDIT: Ok, just read a bunch more of your posts and the answer is clear.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:45 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,040,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
columbus
and las vegas

Old 02-13-2012, 05:23 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,854,165 times
Quote:
And you think you're a "mature, cosmopolitan" city? Do you know how BADLY New Yorkers lay waste to you when it comes to worldwide sports knowledge? You guys don't even know your OWN Big 12 rivals' backfield that you're playing! Haahahahahahahaha, hey, take comfort, Rick Perry actually portrayed you guys CORRECTLY on the national stage! Ohh whoooo, ahahahaha! Better you than me!
Moderator cut: off topic / personal

dude, i live in san francisco... don't give me the racist card. racism and segregation is just as bad here if not worse.... just go to the san francisco thread and see the arguments between oakland and san francisco. look up what dave chapelle has said about san francisco. go to oakland and see what most people in oakland say about san francisco.

but besides that... nobody is telling you to get the hell out. in fact, nobody has even used such strong verbal usage against you the way you're using it. they've just wondered, along with myself, that if someone obviously hates a city to the point that they'd insult the locals why do they insist on staying there? it's not "close mindedness", it's common sense.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Bo; 02-13-2012 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - the post you were replying to was edited, updated quote to match original

Old 02-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,957,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
columbus
Columbus has an NHL team.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,957,687 times
Some posts above were edited and others were deleted. Keep your replies focused on the topic and not on each other. It's not helpful or productive to make comments about other posters based on what they post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin