Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,544 times

Advertisements

i don't think austin will ever get a pro team. not in a long time. if there are too many NIMBY's in Austin that don't like this development that Austin is trying to make strides in, I doubt those same people would even want a pro team.

Austin is like the most bipolar city in the sense that there's two sides of the spectrum. a lot of people who live there who consider themselves progressives in politics and whatnot, think that this development is going the way of houston and dallas, which is far from it. yeah, sure development has nothing to do with sports, but the rationalization kinda works the same for these types of folks. i'd love to see a pro sports team... namely, a football team, but perhaps there's more to it than the fact that the locals wouldn't want this to happen. maybe the population still isn't big enough for a pro-league to consider austin just yet. i see another 20 years of these type of characteristics for austin, until finally the people will begin to realize that the dynamics of austin are gearing towards bigger population and change is basically inevitable. when that time comes then we can start talking about a pro team for austin. but for now, enjoy the cool small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
migol84 - I have lived here a long time. And I don't believe there is an organized effort to prevent pro sports from coming to Austin. If the NFL, NBA, or MLB thought there was money to be made in Austin, the effort would build and eventually something would be presented to voters.

Texas has three NBA teams, two NFL teams, and two MLB teams, all within a three hour drive of Austin.

Los Angeles still doesn't have a NFL team in a city of 5M people.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Somewhat related, and kind of interesting...

Austin's two "pro sport" entities (UT Football and Circuit of the Americas) are both now part of the Green Sports Alliance:

Members & Partners | Green Sports Alliance

As far as I can see, they are the only ones in Texas who are part of that organization.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
If the city got an NHL team, I'd call them Austin Bats. What would you guys call an NHL team in Austin?

Old 06-15-2012, 06:25 PM

293 posts, read 730,459 times
We've already had a minor league team we couldn't support called the Austin Ice Bats. The Texas Stars seem like they are doing well in Cedar Park.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:56 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
We've already had a minor league team we couldn't support called the Austin Ice Bats. The Texas Stars seem like they are doing well in Cedar Park.
And why couldn't yall support it?

Old 06-16-2012, 06:46 AM

709 posts, read 1,401,412 times
Why can't LA support an NFL team? A mix of poor management and that nobody cared.

We did actually go to an Ice Bats game, and it was fun. But was just way to far away on the outside of town. It is the same for me for the Express. The two times we have gone to games up there in the past decade years there we had a blast. But it is just way to far outside Austin for me attend games regularly. What is really cool about the Express is that even though they are so far away from Austin they have been able to maintain an amazing average attendance record. One of the best in the minors. I think that really shows to me just how well managed they are. They provide a very exciting and fun atmosphere.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:12 AM

709 posts, read 1,401,412 times
On an unrelated note, I read this morning the Formula One race at COTA is already selling out after only a week. lol. They said they are going to try to build additional seating than they were planning on building to sell some more tickets. That is a pretty good sign for them.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
After the success of F1 yesterday I will now definitively state that Austin will not get a professional sports franchise for probably at least a generation, if ever. We simply don't need it and I am sure voters will not support a property or sales tax subsidy for building a stadium.

That's fine with me as we have enough entertainment options as it is. And please can we also put to bed the notion that a city hasn't made it unless it has a pro sports team.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
F1 > a professional sports team

Austin has chosen a different path than any other American city. I just chalk it up to keeping Austin "weird".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin