U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 02:52 PM

17 posts, read 45,335 times
Default Where to buy Corn Gluten Meal for my Lawn?

I would like to buy Corn Gluten Meal for my lawn.
Does anyone know a good place to buy it cheap?
I heard that some pet stores should have it but I checked the chain stores and did not find any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 03:03 PM

5,226 posts, read 6,094,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleppekleppe View Post
I would like to buy Corn Gluten Meal for my lawn.
Does anyone know a good place to buy it cheap?
I heard that some pet stores should have it but I checked the chain stores and did not find any.
Most of your big boxes will NOT have it. Rather than a pet store, I believe some feed stores might carry it; but, we have purchased ours at local landscape type places...Red Barn, Natural gardener type place on Pond Springs near 183, for example. A neighbor suggested corn meal as a less expensive substitute but I have no experience with that.

As a fertilizer, I believe it's OK to apply now; but, as a/an herbicide, I believe it's too late for spring weeds. I could be wrong .

BTW, no, not cheap.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:01 PM

2,348 posts, read 5,981,552 times
Hill Country Water Gardens off of old 183 in Cedar Park has some.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:13 PM

16,162 posts, read 21,801,705 times
The Natural Gardener might have it, but as mentioned, feed stores/farm supplies might have it cheaper. Try calling Callahan's.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:21 PM

482 posts, read 1,087,689 times
Lowes carries corn glutenl. At the store in cedar park on 620, there is an organic section at the end of the lawn aisle. I don't remember the size or cost but I want to say it was around $20.

I buy corn meal at Calllahan's feed store in cedar park. $17 for 50lb bag.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:53 PM

6,813 posts, read 10,361,798 times
I've bought it at Natural Gardener and at Pots & Plants (Flamingo nursery at 360 & Bee Caves). Neither was particularly cheap, but I think the Natural Gardener was cheaper. Next time I'll try the feed stores.

As mentioned earlier, I think it's too late to use it for weed control on lawns right now. It needs to be applied right before the weed germination, earlier in the fall. It won't do anything right now.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:40 PM

17 posts, read 45,335 times
Thanks all for the information. I understand it is too late to use it for weed control. Basically I picked the weed by hand and it took me hours 'cause I tried to pick the roots...

However, I think CGM is still good for general fertilizer, right?
10scoachrick says it is not cheap. For $17 per 50 lb, it is in fact cheaper than the chemical fertilizer (e.g. Scott's sold in Lowe's).

What is a cheaper organic fertilizer on general?

Old 05-06-2010, 07:30 PM

73,363 posts, read 33,555,639 times
Maybe find a farm (horse/cow/chicken manure) and haul back to your place ?

I fertilize in Dec when I clean out the chicken house..this way it sits for a few months before I go to plant anything and is nice and broken up by the time April rains come.

Might want to just wait..it's a bit late for fertilizing now and do it in the late fall/early winter.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:46 PM

5,226 posts, read 6,094,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleppekleppe View Post
Thanks all for the information. I understand it is too late to use it for weed control. Basically I picked the weed by hand and it took me hours 'cause I tried to pick the roots...

However, I think CGM is still good for general fertilizer, right?
10scoachrick says it is not cheap. For $17 per 50 lb, it is in fact cheaper than the chemical fertilizer (e.g. Scott's sold in Lowe's).

What is a cheaper organic fertilizer on general?
That price is for corn meal...different stuff. I haven't purchased corn gluten this year but I believe it's closer to $.80/pound or thereabouts.

BTW, I believe corn gluten only provides nitrogen as a fertilizer. NO phosphorus or potassium (IF you think you need that for your lawn...many folks don't add either). Most(not all) conventional big box fertilizers contain all three.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:01 PM

228 posts, read 352,436 times
I bought mine from the Great Outdoors - The Great Outdoors Nursery - Austin's Outdoor Garden Adventure Starts Here - 2730 S. Congress Ave. Austin, TX 78704
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin