Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:47 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times

Advertisements

That's your opinion. Those Asian pedicure places will leave you with some sort of infection. I love how you judge when you know nothing about someone.

You are another typical Austinite who can't stand to see the city change. I'll see if I can find you a good therapist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
That's your opinion. Those Asian pedicure places will leave you with some sort of infection. I love how you judge when you know nothing about someone.

You are another typical Austinite who can't stand to see the city change. I'll see if I can find you a good therapist.
That sounds just a little racist. Places that don't clean their instruments or their foot baths will lead to infection but the race of the proprietors doesn't lead to an infection.

You post enough on here to give people a good idea about your values and personality.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Honestly, I would never pay $29 to see a movie, anywhere. But I'm cheap that way. I try to only go to matinees because I hate paying full price for a ticket at a regular theater. If I were forking over $29 I'd probably start to convulse. I must have been a child of the depression in a previous life.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:00 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
By all means spend your $22 ( how distinguished it is to be a member of a club that is free!) or $29 at GCC, but don't delude yourself that you are doing anything interesting, that only makes it more tragic. My position is that the best time to be had in Austin is when you do the things that Austin does well or that you can only do here: an expensive movie while reclining eating average to bad food, not so much!
Your previous post sounded reasonable, and then you have to go and post this. No one is denying anyone's desire to spend their money where they think best. However when you start bandying about words like "delude" and "tragic", you just reveal that your opinion is really just judgments passed on others opinions. If you'd rather booze up, more power to you. There are certainly plenty of folks who don't consider spending even a single penny on alcohol a good use of money as well.

So once again we seem to have folks who claim to know what's "better" for people to spend their money on than the people themselves. And this notion of the "symbolism" in a place like GCC is something that I would disagree with. While I won't go so far as to say that many folks facing hard times were marginal to begin with or somehow brought their troubles upon themselves, I will say that at any point in time you have folks doing well, folks maintaining, and folks not doing so well. The percentages may shift, but to somehow imply that people can't spend money or businesses have to somehow factor in not their potential market, but the perception of lavishness despite the potential market I think is misguided.

One last thing, this whole talk about being on the brink of the worst depression is way out of context. How this "depression" has worked is nothing at all like the "real" depression that occurred and the two, from an economic perspective really can't be compared (though it's obviously simpler to think of it in that terms). The way the market and the economy works today is so radically different than the way it did back then that nobody is truly sure just how far or how close we got last year (or even right now). Notice how the market could take the biggest point dive in history and effectively recover in a matter of minutes. This is a different beast we're dealing with here.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:08 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And just where, in your hubris, are you getting THAT idea? I, personally, know people who were doing just fine, living within their means, who were hit hard by this recent economic unpleasantness, and for you to assume the above in order to make yourself feel better is a false assumption, no matter how much better it makes you feel about yourself and your supposed immunity to such kinds of disasters.
Hence the use of the word most. Not all, most. If you disagree, you disagree. Of course you KNOW everyone on earth and therefore can say that my statement is false with absolute certainty.

Sounds to me like you are the one with hubris. Just b/c THL knows "people" that dont' fit my example, doesn't mean that there is no one on earth that fits that example.

Plus I didn't say I was immune, I went so far as to say that it could happen to me, and if it did, this issue of expensive theaters is not what I would be wasting my time on.

THL, you are funny to lecture people on Hubris, since you have appointed yourself the sole voice of deciding what is "austin" enough for the city. And did so right in the thread.

I would ask you to read and UNDERSTAND the post in full before you go into faux outrage, but I know that is not your stong suit. I have gotten used to your slamming of fellow posters on city-data over the years. You are always quick to assert yourself as the one and only authority on a variety of topics, including now the economy apparently. But usually you make a better case than this. I am embarrassed for you THL.

Good night.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 05-17-2010 at 08:21 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post

Pot meet kettle. I am hardly an Austinite, and I love many of the changes to Austin, the booming downtown, the burgeoning food scene, the growing arts community on the East Side, the Blanton, the Long Center etc. The Domain - meh - to borrow one of your articulate interjections!

And I love you you defend against accusations of racism with another racist utterance. Why someone whose foot is always in her mouth pays $125 for a pedicure is beyond me. Just bite those toenails darlin'! No nasty Asian infections for you, then!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:18 PM

38 posts, read 143,813 times
Quote:
By all means spend your $22 ( how distinguished it is to be a member of a club that is free!) or $29 at GCC, but don't delude yourself that you are doing anything interesting, that only makes it more tragic. My position is that the best time to be had in Austin is when you do the things that Austin does well or that you can only do here: an expensive movie while reclining eating average to bad food, not so much!
In my opinion, money should really basically do two things: provide security and give you memories. When it comes to the latter, it's going to depend greatly on the person. You cant judge what other people will enjoy, especially if they are movie aficionados who happen to love the film and would greatly enjoy experiencing it in the best situation possible. In that scenario, you've either got to build your own home cinema (which you could also argue is a waste of money) or go to the best theater in town (and pay for it as such). The mentality of "steals and deals" is all good and fine (especially in the current economy) but don't apply that to everything and then call it lacking for everyone when it doesn't match your narrow perception of "fun". This goes back to the food argument. Is a 10 dollar steak better then a 40 dollar steak? Probably not. But is the 40 dollar steak 4x better in taste/texture/value? That's not something you can really quantify for the masses. So why is it debatable for a theater? In the end, it's all about the experience as a whole and for that, to each is own.

Also, I think a lot of people who "decry the change in Austin" are simply getting older and looking at things through rose colored glasses. Yes, things change, but the "feel of Austin" has more to do with you as a person, the things you do, and the people you hang with. If you don't feel Austin is true to itself any more, you should really just look in a mirror. Not so much of Austin has really changed. Yeah, the suburbs are bigger, and yeah, there are more people (many of them not what you'd call normal Austinites), but the different atmospheres are still there. You're probably just no longer seeking them out. More housing and strip malls do not change the entire character of a city. That's something the population defines.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:25 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times
Quote:
Why someone whose foot is always in her mouth pays $125 for a pedicure is beyond me. Just bite those toenails darlin'! No nasty Asian infections for you, then!

I don't always agree with your posts, but even I have to take my hat off to such a good turn of phrase.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:28 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Ya'll have made me LOL reading this thread!!!

If I wanted to go to the movies, I would gladly go to the GC...if it keeps out people who talk, text and feed babies in a theatre, I'm all for it! I'm not much of a movie person- too passive- so I don't think I'll go anytime soon. The comment about the blanket in the recliner was funny.

I am just as comfortable at the Domain as I am on South Congress, Lamar or the Blue Hanger. I love to shop and am an 'equal opportunity shopper'. Sometimes you need generic, upscale, anywhere in America shopping- and the Domain is great for that. As my DD would say: 'its' whatever'.

As for class warfare, well, it's what the US is founded on. Perhaps not warfare, but more like class difference...its the American dream to aspire to move up to the next social class.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:29 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Oh, and I do love Asian nail salons- $45 for mani pedi is nice. I also like Embellish. Equally clean and reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin