Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:31 PM

515 posts, read 1,391,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
San Jose
I'm a native Californian and I spent the last 20 plus years living in San Jose before moving here. While it is a nice place to raise a family, it's noting like Austin. Both Austin and San Jose have some very positive things going for them, but they aren't alike at all. Now Round Rock and San Jose I might compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,794,118 times
Austin isn't liberal like San Fransisco. lol. That's a fat joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post

I agree with others who say that Austin is most reminiscent of Sacramento. I'd also say that Austin has some elements of Silicon Valley (the hi-tech industry) and San Francisco (the rolling hills and the liberalism of Austin).

Old 05-25-2010, 04:50 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,739,255 times
Which city in South Dakota (or california) is most like Austin?

Answer - None of them.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:56 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,766,087 times
A little more info in the associated press article. The track will be within 10 miles of Austin Bergstrom. Also it will be built with private money not public funds. I'm not sure if the track will be granted tax incentives or land, etc though.

The Associated Press: F1 revives US Grand Prix in 2012 in Austin, Texas

Old 05-25-2010, 05:04 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,059,347 times
Orbius, I think you posted to the wrong thread.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:38 PM

404 posts, read 709,045 times
Quote:
If you love San Diego so much and hate Austin so much (all your posts are diatribes against Austin), why don't you just move to San Diego?
because then it would take a year or so to find all the bad things in San Diego, which is a prerequisite for a life long career of Trolling on city-data.com.

Imagine all the contradictions, flaming posts, and pure negativity that would be absent from the Austin forum here? It would just be insightful, objective postings.

We need eepstein here. It makes us feel good.. because even on our worst day we can say "well atleast I'm not that guy"

Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,511,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
Imagine all the contradictions, flaming posts, and pure negativity that would be absent from the Austin forum here? It would just be insightful, objective postings.
Nah, we'd be okay because we'd still have artsyguy to keep the troll count high!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,794,118 times
I'm telling the truth. Austin is not liberal like San Fransisco. lol. That is absurd to think so.

Quote:
Nah, we'd be okay because we'd still have artsyguy to keep the troll count high!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:21 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,603,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
There is nothing to do in Austin except goto 6th street. The city is almost totally catered toward young college kids. That is what makes Austin such a horrible city for families. NOTHING to do but get drunk.

And who was the mentally challenged person who suggested that I move to San Diego??. Um, do you honestly think that if I had the opportunity to move there I wouldn't??? It hasn't come around yet.

You want stuff to do here there's tons to do around here

The Texas Capitol Visitors Center

City of Austin - Austin Parks and Recreation Department: Emma Long Metropolitan Park

City of Austin - Parks and Recreation Department: Greenbelts

Lake Travis boat & party barge rental, Volente, Austin, Beach Front Boat Rentals 888-401-2628

Boat rental, watercraft and houseboats from Just For Fun

http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/hamilton_pool.asp

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center - The University of Texas at Austin

Volente Beach Waterpark (http://www.volentebeach.com/waterpark/main.html - broken link)

Zilker Park Boat Rentals

Austin Lyric Opera - Welcome (http://www.austinlyricopera.org/web/home.asp - broken link)

Austin Symphony

Broadway Across America - Austin

Austin Shows, Live Texas Music, One World Theatre

Long Center for the Performing Arts

Texas Performing Arts

Home | ZACH Theatre

The Paramount & State Theatres :

Schlitterbahn Waterparks - America's First Family of Waterparks

Highland Lakes Visitors Guide

Austin's Park

Pioneer Farms - Home

http://www.wonderworldpark.com/

http://www.myinnerspacecavern.com/

You want museums
Blanton Museum of Art : University of Texas at Austin

texas music museum

Austin Museum of Art:

Welcome to the Elisabet Ney Museum

French Legation Museum | Austin TX

City of Austin - George Washington Carver Museum & Cultural Center

Harry Ransom Center

The Story of Texas

LBJ Library & Museum

Mexic-Arte Museum ::: The Official Mexican and Mexican American Fine Art Museum of Texas

City of Austin - O. Henry Museum

Welcome

Zilker Botanical Garden :: the Jewel in the Heart of Austin

Shopping

2ND Street District | Shop. Live. Dine | Austin TX

SoCo (South Congress) Shopping District

Hill Country Galleria

Arboretum Market, Austin-Barshop & Oles

The Domain - Austin, TX 78758 | Simon Malls

Arboretum at Great Hills - Austin, TX 78759 | Simon Malls

Barton Creek Square - Austin, TX 78746 | Simon Malls

Tanger Outlet Centers :: San Marcos, Texas :: TangerOutlets

Prime Outlets – San Marcos, Outlet Mall near San Marcos/Austin/San Antonio | 65% Savings on Designer Brands

Round Rock Premium Outlets

Want more to do?? and all within an hours drive!

San Antonio Texas official vacation and visitor information. San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. :: VisitSanAntonio.com

The Official Web site for The San Antonio River Walk!

Six Flags Fiesta Texas

San Antonio Home

Home Page Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch

Aquarena Center : Texas State University

Welcome To Natural Bridge Caverns Texas

Ripley Attractions in San Antonio, TX | Ripley\'s Believe It or Not! Museum & Louis Tussaud\'s Wax Museum

San Antonio Zoo and Aquarium - Where you experience Real. Wild. Life.

Historic Market Square

La Villita Historic Arts Village, San Antonio, TX - Home (http://lavillita.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage - broken link)

Saloon Cafe - Since 1881

Welcome To The Witte Museum

theMcNay Art Museum

Tower of the Americas

Home

San Antonio Tours by Historic Texas Tours – Mission, Wineries, Caverns & Restaurants (TX)

San Antonio Botanical Garden

IMAX Theater in San Antonio, Texas

Aztec Theatre - San Antonio, Texas - Home

The Majestic Theatre & The Charline McCombs Empire Theatre

The Ultimate Mirror Maze Challenge - San Antonio, Texas - Amazing Mazes.com

http://www.nps.gov/saan/index.htm

Fredericksburg Texas Chamber of Commerce

New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce

WIMBERLEY! Visit Wimberley with area information, Market Days, special events, art, music, shopping, dining, lodging, what to do...visiting or living here, there's always something here for you!

Welcome to Wimberley

Yeah there's just nothing to do around here but 6th street LOL that's complete bull I just gave you TONS of family things to do in Austin and San Antonio.

Last edited by bgrn198; 05-26-2010 at 02:03 AM..

Old 05-26-2010, 01:46 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,059,347 times
There is no city anywhere that is just like any other city. So you can't find a city in California that replicates Austin. You can find places where an individual characteristic is similar, but you can't ever find the whole thing. Texas and Austin have their own unique culture. Someone may like it or not, but you are not going to find it reproduced anywhere else. The OP was asking for "laidback vibe of Austin, live music, and general atmosphere". I think you can find places in CA with the laidback vibe. But Austin's music scene is going to have a regional influence and "general atmosphere" sounds a lot like culture and attitudes, and I don't know how you are going to get either anywhere but Austin. It's sort of like a restaurant I know in northern CA: it is a "Texas Bar-b-que" place. They serve pretty good bar-b-que, Shiner and Lone Star beer, and have a roll of paper towels on the tables. So it is a little like being in Texas, but I don't think anyone attached to Texas is going to think it is "just like home". So my advice to the OP is to figure out what parts of the experience are most important to you and look for those things, rather than looking for someplace that reproduces all the multi-faceted aspects of Austin. If it turns out that you really want the whole gestalt, there is only one way to get it ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin